Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2018, 19:53   #46
Henbabani

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
http://www.thejournal.ie/property-pr...84492-Jan2018/

What are people’s thoughts here? Predictions for increases through this year, with Limerick suburbs expecting up to a 20% rise?
That's the same assumption that predict 12-15% increase in 2017?
I don't think it's going to happened, people spoke about 12-15% increase this year but we finished with less than 9%, which still big increase, people start to understand that massive jobs will not come from London to Dublin, supply start to face demand, maybe this year or the next is the last time we'll see big increases in the coming years.
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 20:03   #47
Averagevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbabani View Post
I don't think it's going to happened, people spoke about 12-15% increase this year but we finished with less than 9%, which still big increase, people start to understand that massive jobs will not come from London to Dublin, supply start to face demand, maybe this year or the next is the last time we'll see big increases in the coming years.

I think we will see 15% in d4. Prices in d4 have only increased ~5% p.a. for the last 2 years so there is room to catch up.
06-01-2018, 20:09   #48
jsd1004

Quote:
In reality it was 20-25%. And rents are up the same.
07-01-2018, 07:32   #49
Henbabani

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd1004 View Post
Quote:
In reality it was 20-25%. And rents are up the same.
when you split Dublin - only the city center saw 20.8% increase, south and north city saw 11%, west and north county saw 11% also, and south county only 5%, don't know where you see 25%.
the details from here:
https://www.daft.ie/report/2017-Q4-dafthouseprice-report.pdf
07-01-2018, 21:27   #50
jsd1004

Quote:
when you split Dublin - only the city center saw 20.8% increase, south and north city saw 11%, west and north county saw 11% also, and south county only 5%, don't know where you see 25%.
the details from here:
https://www.daft.ie/report/2017-Q4-d...ice-report.pdf
Thats the Daft report. Ive seen 20-30% increase. The last quarter has been especially nuts. 2 bed apartments going for 440k. They would have been 300 max a year ago and that would have been generous. Student rooms are 7k per student year now. Were as little as 4k a year ago.
Advertisement
07-01-2018, 21:30   #51
Bob24

Quote:
2 bed apartments going for 440k. They would have been 300 max a year ago and that would have been generous.
Which area? I've seen large increases in GCD, but nowhere near that. A 2 bed which was 400k 2 years ago would probably be 500k now, which is a big increase for 2 years but nothing like the yearly increase you are mentioning.

Last edited by Bob24; 07-01-2018 at 21:36.
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2018, 21:35   #52
Zenify

Quote:
Thats the Daft report. Ive seen 20-30% increase. The last quarter has been especially nuts. 2 bed apartments going for 440k. They would have been 300 max a year ago and that would have been generous.
So you're saying that you have seen a 2 bed apartment increase by nearly 50% in one year?
Thanks from:
07-01-2018, 21:38   #53
jsd1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
Which area?
Strand apartments in the city are now fetching up to 440k each. I deal in student accommodation (castletroy) and next year will be 7k per room per academic year minimum. I have some professional accommodation (castletroy)and that is now around 450 euro per month rate per room. 500 for an ensuite. Troy and Northern Trust have put a huge strain on supply.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/ho...ince-boom.html
07-01-2018, 21:45   #54
Bob24

Ah OK Limerick seems to be in a league of its own.
Advertisement
07-01-2018, 21:52   #55
jsd1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenify View Post
So you're saying that you have seen a 2 bed apartment increase by nearly 50% in one year?
Yes and more..Some apartments in limerick have increased in value by 300% in 5 years. 13 ballantyne place sold for 35k in 2013. Now for sale for 120k
Thanks from:
09-01-2018, 00:28   #56
BettyRB

Well, this thread makes sobering reading with the strong price growth predicted by most of you. Do people think this is a good thing? I'd of thought big mortgages suck the life out of other areas of the economy, we seem obsessed with high house prices though. I'm certainly priced out of Dublin, hope 2018 isn't too disastrous in term of rises but I fear the worst. Nobody is shouting stop either.
Thanks from:
09-01-2018, 01:05   #57
Averagevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyRB View Post
Well, this thread makes sobering reading with the strong price growth predicted by most of you. Do people think this is a good thing? I'd of thought big mortgages suck the life out of other areas of the economy, we seem obsessed with high house prices though. I'm certainly priced out of Dublin, hope 2018 isn't too disastrous in term of rises but I fear the worst. Nobody is shouting stop either.
High house prices are a disaster. But there is a wedge of unproductive society that relays on high priced to keep them in a lifestyle that they've become accustom to.
Thanks from:
09-01-2018, 07:15   #58
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyRB View Post
I don't think that anyone is denying that prices are going to rise- however, I'd argue that the 'strongly' part of the equation- is very location dependent. Most of Dublin is simply unaffordable for most- incomes have been creeping up at a far lower rate than house (and other) prices. According to the CSO average income in 2017 increased by 1.8% and IBEC are on the record predicting wage increases of 1.9% for 2018. This 'constraint' is concurrently being reported as a good thing- and simultaneously- heralded as proof that we have learnt a lesson from the bust 11 years ago- and are paying down debt, rather than spending (which is supported by Department of Finance income tax figures- which are at odds with below profile returns for alcohol, tobacco and other headings).

Dublin price rises- are tame in comparison to the rest of the country (and especially tame in comparison to the likes of Limerick- which just seems to be nuts- though Cork and Galway appear to be moderating, not at the same rate as Dublin- but heading in that direction.

Supply is increasing- and affordability- is rapidly becoming an issue- quite when the top of the market is called- is more a question of a time frame than a suggestion of a unicorn sighting- and is rapidly being viewed in this manner.

As for some people having gotten used to high prices- and a particular lifestyle- honestly- its vastly overstated- the bigger beneficiary of all of this- are multinational companies who bought Irish property during the downturn and aren't paying tax on their rental income- and the Revenue Commissioners themselves- who levy up to 54% tax on some small scale Irish landlords. This salient fact is very seldom mentioned in the media.

Irish prices- are nuts- and are costing us jobs- both Brexit related jobs and other multinational posts. Irish taxes- are making it impossible to remunerate Irish employees. Irish governments- have made working incredibly expensive- and seem to love having a high cost economy- which is destroying the lives of those who live here- and vastly costly in terms of the HSE and social welfare costs. Some deals- such as the incredibly expensive agreements with pharmaceutical companies- are hammering those who are doing their utmost just to get by.

There are lots of things wrong in the Irish economy- of which our house prices and rent levels- are just two items on the list. They are now (with the exception of some bizarre outliers- such as Limerick) moderating- we *need* to moderate the other costs in our economy before they sink us (keeping in mind our demographic time bomb is going to hit us in the next decade- about 10 years later than some other EU countries- but its there nonetheless).
09-01-2018, 07:39   #59
Villa05

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor
Dublin price rises- are tame in comparison to the rest of the country (and especially tame in comparison to the likes of Limerick- which just seems to be nuts- though Cork and Galway appear to be moderating, not at the same rate as Dublin- but heading in that direction.

Are Dublin prices tame in comparison to Limerick. I always thought Limerick property market trailed Dublin by 2 to 3 years and is only currently playing catch up unfortunately
09-01-2018, 08:04   #60
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa05 View Post
Are Dublin prices tame in comparison to Limerick. I always thought Limerick property market trailed Dublin by 2 to 3 years and is only currently playing catch up unfortunately
Dublin prices never rose 40%+ in a year- akin to what is on display in some areas of Limerick......... I've never seen the likes of it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion