Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-11-2018, 17:59   #691
MSVforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1978 View Post
WOW that is quite a lot of social apartments in such close proximity. I am glad I came on to boards to read up on Shakelton Park as I have been very interested in this estate and am currently in talks re a mortgage - looks like ill have to re think any purchase.

I looked at an overall map of what this side of Lucan will look like when they have built all these houses - there is to be another circa 2,000 houses to be built stretching all the way to Adamstown railway station. Unfortunately, that only means one more thing...more social apartment blocks. What happens when these people get older and the anti social behaviour starts? What happens to the price of houses in the area of the hard working people who paid top price for their home and now cant sell due to the small minority bringing the name down?

Anyway rant over...thank you all for your comments and it just goes to show that you need to find out about everything in the area before living there. Councillors and politicians seem to always focus on how we need to give houses to the poor...they always seem to forget about the middle class and how much we need houses and how unfair it is to drop a social housing apartment in the middle of your estate after you worked so hard to buy your lovely home.
Hi Rachel,

Can you pm me a link of this map please as we are currently in the process of buying a new house in Adamstown?

I heard that there's going to be a mix of social / affordable housing in the space between St. Helen's and Alderlie. I personally would have no issues with social housing as long as tenants are properly vetted.

I sincerely hope that everything goes well for these folks who bought in Shackleton Park and the place won't end up like parts in Castlecurragh (Dublin 15).
Advertisement
07-11-2018, 23:40   #692
paulclancy

<snip>

Last edited by Graham; 08-11-2018 at 11:47.
08-11-2018, 11:50   #693
Graham

Mod Note

paulclancy, this is not the appropriate platform for you to use to make accusations against any individuals or organisations.

No more posts of that type please.
08-11-2018, 13:56   #694
paulclancy

Apologies if i caused any offence in my recent post - it was borne out of frustration over the lack of planning/greed that has come from thi sdevelopment and the lies that the residents have been told.

MSV - if you type into google 'adamstown masterplan' and then click on image you will see what the landscape will look like from Shakelton to Adamstown. Only about 1/8 has been completed to date.

My point about vetting is this - NO construction company has any say on who moves into the social housing. If they claim that they do then its a lie. The county council will usually put in the next in line regardless of their background/or where they are from.

Also, the construction company CANNOT decide to put in affordable housing either - the units are sold to the county council at cost and it is then their property and they decide who goes in them - if you are told that a lot of the units will be held for affordable housing this is also a lie.

The ONLY good outcome that can come out of Shakelton at this late stage is that the construction company spread the social housing out fairly throughout the rest of the development and not segregate everyone into the high rise flats at the entrance and in the middle of the estate. This just might keep a lid on the potential anti social havoc that is coming down the line.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 20:23   #695
MSVforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclancy View Post
Apologies if i caused any offence in my recent post - it was borne out of frustration over the lack of planning/greed that has come from thi sdevelopment and the lies that the residents have been told.

MSV - if you type into google 'adamstown masterplan' and then click on image you will see what the landscape will look like from Shakelton to Adamstown. Only about 1/8 has been completed to date.

My point about vetting is this - NO construction company has any say on who moves into the social housing. If they claim that they do then its a lie. The county council will usually put in the next in line regardless of their background/or where they are from.

Also, the construction company CANNOT decide to put in affordable housing either - the units are sold to the county council at cost and it is then their property and they decide who goes in them - if you are told that a lot of the units will be held for affordable housing this is also a lie.

The ONLY good outcome that can come out of Shakelton at this late stage is that the construction company spread the social housing out fairly throughout the rest of the development and not segregate everyone into the high rise flats at the entrance and in the middle of the estate. This just might keep a lid on the potential anti social havoc that is coming down the line.
Thanks paulclancy.
I doubt that all the units / estates will be built as per the masterplan.

Unfortunately most of those developers and their estate agents are lying through their teeth. I have never heard so much bs in my life..... I'm glad once we get the keys to our new home and never have to deal with them again.... The majority of our new neighbours feel the same.

Apart from this I'm concerned about the lack of infrastructure in Adamstown.
There is only one londis shop and a mediocre takeaway. No surgeries, dentists and pharmacies etc.
Furthermore there is only one crèche and both primary schools are already heavily oversubscribed..... when will they start building additional schools and shopping facilities across the train station.....?
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 23:11   #696
paulclancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVforever View Post
Thanks paulclancy.
I doubt that all the units / estates will be built as per the masterplan.

Unfortunately most of those developers and their estate agents are lying through their teeth. I have never heard so much bs in my life..... I'm glad once we get the keys to our new home and never have to deal with them again.... The majority of our new neighbours feel the same.

Apart from this I'm concerned about the lack of infrastructure in Adamstown.
There is only one londis shop and a mediocre takeaway. No surgeries, dentists and pharmacies etc.
Furthermore there is only one crèche and both primary schools are already heavily oversubscribed..... when will they start building additional schools and shopping facilities across the train station.....?
The developers hire good sales people to sell the houses and they will promise you the moon and the stars if it means you sign on the dotted line, once the house is sold then you are no longer their problem and whatever they have been allowed get away with will stay in the estate permanently.

If you go into sdcc planning applications and search the interactive map you will see that most of the land from shakelton to adamstown has been granted planning permission for houses and apartments.
There is a site below the paddocks which has no planning permission that would be perfect for a large sports centre or astro park etc which is much needed in the area, especially given that there will be another few thousand houses built and it wud give the youth something to do...but ive no doubt it will go for more houses instead. The local councillors need to be pushed on this issue.

In the masterplan there are schools but in reality they are unlikely to be built as the construction companies arent going to do it.
08-11-2018, 23:59   #697
5uspect

Why do you keep spelling Shackleton as shakelton? Eleven times on the last page alone.
09-11-2018, 17:12   #698
Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5uspect View Post
Why do you keep spelling Shackleton as shakelton? Eleven times on the last page alone.
Very strange for a supposed resident of the estate
12-11-2018, 16:05   #699
supernova12

Hi Guys,

I am new to the thread. I gave a full read and right now a bit confused whether to go ahead with one of the houses in Shackleton Park. This is because of the social housing concerns. The property should still be relevant few years down the line.

Do you guys have any suggestions regarding this.

Regards.
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 18:34   #700
paulclancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova12 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to the thread. I gave a full read and right now a bit confused whether to go ahead with one of the houses in Shackleton Park. This is because of the social housing concerns. The property should still be relevant few years down the line.

Do you guys have any suggestions regarding this.

Regards.
Supernova 12....it is a personal choice and comes down funds and whether you want a new house etc.

If you buy a new build then you get the advantages that a new sttucture brings but there will be 10% of that estate that will be council housing. Most of estates being built now are kept to houses only and every 10th house is sold to the council and its well spread out as this was FG's plan when they brought in the new rule.

As you would have read from the previous threads the real problem isint the 10% rule its the fact that the builders built 60 council flats slap bang in the middle and a further 8 at the entrance to the estate and hasnt integrated the social recipients into the estate. Make up your own mind how that will play out down the line.

Best advice is to go up and visit the area, take a walk around and see if its for you. Its not all bad the majority of people who moved in our young professionals and all are hard working people who dont cause an ounce of problems.

Regardless of where you buy just remember that the estate agent and developer are there to make money so they will tell you what you want to hear if it means getting you to part with your cash so best to take what they say with a pinch of salt and take your time when deciding.

Id be happy to answer any further questions you have and you are welcome to call into me for a proper chat if you decide to visit. Just send me a PM.

Hope this helps but at the end of the day the decision is yours to make.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion