Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-06-2017, 07:08   #16
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Professional cynic- but my hearts not in it.......
Posts: 27,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymin View Post
Shackleton is on the outskirts of Lucan but so is Rokeby Park and, to a lesser extent, Laraghcon. Traffic from Rokeby and Laraghcon is quite bad as well. None of these 3 estates appeal to me for these reasons.

Distances to shops / village are similar:
https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Super...53.3475541!3e2

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Rokeb...2d53.35667!3e2
You're having me on about Rokeby and Laraghcon- I actually live on Main Street in the Village and walk up there with my kids to St. Catherine's and Hemrycks at least once a week. I'm also well familiar with Rokeby (I grew up in the area). The whole Laraghcon/Coldblow area- is a straightforward- and more pertinently, safe, walk to the village- I wouldn't dream of allowing my children walk the other way (I've helped a few people who went off the road up there this year so far- and thats in fairly reasonable weather conditions).

I've no particular love for Laraghcon- nor apparently do the many people who have sold there in the last 24 months (see propertypriceregister.ie for the bewildering number of sales up there)- but I also don't have any love whatsoever for Hawkridge or the other 'luxury gated communities' of Lucan.

Shackleton Park is trying to skirt on the coattails of the likes of Hawkridge/Laraghcon/Rokeby- with a Ryanair'esque understanding of 'outskirts of Lucan'.

Saying somewhere a 2.6km walk away is 'on the outskirts of the village' is telling a porkie pie in my mind.

As for bad traffic- I live on main street in the village. Its far from unusual for it to take >20 minutes to get from the Garda Baracks to Ulster Bank (I'm in one of the townhouses there). At least Laraghcon/Rokeby get priority into the village (by virtue of the traffic lights being managed by Fingal Co. Co, and not South Dublin Co. Co.- the bridge over the river liffey being the border between the two local authorities.
The_Conductor is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2017, 08:08   #17
kaymin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
You're having me on about Rokeby and Laraghcon- I actually live on Main Street in the Village and walk up there with my kids to St. Catherine's and Hemrycks at least once a week. I'm also well familiar with Rokeby (I grew up in the area). The whole Laraghcon/Coldblow area- is a straightforward- and more pertinently, safe, walk to the village- I wouldn't dream of allowing my children walk the other way (I've helped a few people who went off the road up there this year so far- and thats in fairly reasonable weather conditions).

I've no particular love for Laraghcon- nor apparently do the many people who have sold there in the last 24 months (see propertypriceregister.ie for the bewildering number of sales up there)- but I also don't have any love whatsoever for Hawkridge or the other 'luxury gated communities' of Lucan.

Shackleton Park is trying to skirt on the coattails of the likes of Hawkridge/Laraghcon/Rokeby- with a Ryanair'esque understanding of 'outskirts of Lucan'.

Saying somewhere a 2.6km walk away is 'on the outskirts of the village' is telling a porkie pie in my mind.

As for bad traffic- I live on main street in the village. Its far from unusual for it to take >20 minutes to get from the Garda Baracks to Ulster Bank (I'm in one of the townhouses there). At least Laraghcon/Rokeby get priority into the village (by virtue of the traffic lights being managed by Fingal Co. Co, and not South Dublin Co. Co.- the bridge over the river liffey being the border between the two local authorities.
The reason I posted was because of your disdain for Shackleton in favour of Rokeby / Laraghcon seemed unjustified. My point is that none of the 3 are particularly appealing.

Rokeby / Laraghcon seem a bit barren / lifeless and traffic to get anywhere except North side is a problem. Granted they're close to st. Catherine's and if the new road goes through there the road links will improve dramatically. They're significantly more expensive than Shackleton though. Cheapest house in Rokeby was 675k and very few are at that level.

I'd be amazed if they were not obliged to improve footpaths in the Lucan direction from Shackleton.

I don't disagree with your comment about being 'on the outskirts of Lucan's though distance from shops / schools from each estate is comparable which would be of more interest to me.
kaymin is offline  
Thanks from:
14-06-2017, 09:45   #18
Col_30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
Saying somewhere a 2.6km walk away is 'on the outskirts of the village' is telling a porkie pie in my mind.
How are you measuring this?

I measured the walk on Google maps from the entrance to the site in Shackleton Park, down through Dodsborough, walking past Tesco, over the N4 footbridge and arriving at Courtney's in 20 min (you can do it in 15 briskly). It's a 1.7 KM walk by Google's calculations.
Col_30 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-06-2017, 09:41   #19
yannakis
Registered User
 
yannakis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_30 View Post
I measured the walk on Google maps from the entrance to the site in Shackleton Park, down through Dodsborough, walking past Tesco, over the N4 footbridge and arriving at Courtney's in 20 min (you can do it in 15 briskly). It's a 1.7 KM walk by Google's calculations.
Thank me later https://goo.gl/maps/YGcmg8av8ay
yannakis is offline  
22-06-2017, 12:54   #20
Skelp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Its a very high density residential development even by local standards. Little or no common green areas in an area of 267 houses is extraordinary but not unusual in some of the developments in the last 12 months. Is there a legal obligation in the planning process to provide green areas?
Skelp is offline  
Advertisement
22-06-2017, 15:05   #21
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Professional cynic- but my hearts not in it.......
Posts: 27,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelp View Post
Its a very high density residential development even by local standards. Little or no common green areas in an area of 267 houses is extraordinary but not unusual in some of the developments in the last 12 months. Is there a legal obligation in the planning process to provide green areas?
Its probably piggy-backing on pre-existing green areas in the vicinity- St. Catherines is less than 2 miles away? It seems to have a rather fluid understanding of the terms 'outskirts' and 'vicinity'.......
The_Conductor is offline  
22-06-2017, 15:39   #22
Col_30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelp View Post
Its a very high density residential development even by local standards. Little or no common green areas in an area of 267 houses is extraordinary but not unusual in some of the developments in the last 12 months. Is there a legal obligation in the planning process to provide green areas?
Have a look in the brochure and you will see that there are 2 parks planned. One adjacent to the estate itself. And then the larger Airlie Park, which is supposed to form the centerpiece of Adamstown.

When these are delivered is anyone's guess, but they are planned and should be great if provided.

https://www.shackletonpark.com/s/SHACKLETON_web.pdf
Col_30 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-06-2017, 16:06   #23
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Professional cynic- but my hearts not in it.......
Posts: 27,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_30 View Post
Have a look in the brochure and you will see that there are 2 parks planned. One adjacent to the estate itself. And then the larger Airlie Park, which is supposed to form the centerpiece of Adamstown.

When these are delivered is anyone's guess, but they are planned and should be great if provided.

https://www.shackletonpark.com/s/SHACKLETON_web.pdf
50 Acres of public parks planned nearby?
The_Conductor is offline  
22-06-2017, 16:19   #24
Col_30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
50 Acres of public parks planned nearby?
Lucan Demesne (which is linked to St. Catherine's park) is a 10 minute walk from here. Are you just a north Lucan snob who thinks anything south of the N4 is rubbish?
Col_30 is offline  
Advertisement
22-06-2017, 16:31   #25
The_Conductor
Moderator
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Professional cynic- but my hearts not in it.......
Posts: 27,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_30 View Post
Lucan Demesne (which is linked to St. Catherine's park) is a 10 minute walk from here. Are you just a north Lucan snob who thinks anything south of the N4 is rubbish?
I don't think anyone who knows me would call me a snob- I do however live in Lucan village- and have done for most of my 43 years on this earth. I went to school there as a kid- and have seen Lucan change beyond all recognition.

I just don't see 50 acres of undeveloped land in the immediate vicinity of Shackleton that is available for a public park- and I did look at the maps.

I also don't think everything up the 12th Locke is rubbish- by a long shot- I do however think its been massively over developed, and I nearly cry anytime I get caught in the traffic up there (usually happens once or twice a week when I accidentally get caught there at peak times- though schools will be out for summer imminently).

I also work in the immediate vicinity- I got lucky and managed to get out of Dublin.........
The_Conductor is offline  
22-06-2017, 16:47   #26
Col_30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
I don't think anyone who knows me would call me a snob- I do however live in Lucan village- and have done for most of my 43 years on this earth. I went to school there as a kid- and have seen Lucan change beyond all recognition.

I just don't see 50 acres of undeveloped land in the immediate vicinity of Shackleton that is available for a public park- and I did look at the maps.

I also don't think everything up the 12th Locke is rubbish- by a long shot- I do however think its been massively over developed, and I nearly cry anytime I get caught in the traffic up there (usually happens once or twice a week when I accidentally get caught there at peak times- though schools will be out for summer imminently).

I also work in the immediate vicinity- I got lucky and managed to get out of Dublin.........
I completely agree with you regarding traffic in the area. It's very difficult, but there are public transport options to avoid it if you need to get to the city during rush hour(s).

The train from Adamstown station to the city centre is an excellent addition to the area and should ease some of the traffic problems.

I lived in the area for 7 years and the traffic is only hellish around school run time. Maybe politicians could look at more inventive ways to get kids to school that does not involve the use of private vehicles.

The town I grew up in is also unrecognizable from when I was a child and I'm a bit younger than you. This happens everywhere. And also as badly planned as Lucan development in the 90's/00's.
Col_30 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-06-2017, 09:11   #27
Skelp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
"Sur isn't there a park only over the road" is what Ballymun residents were told in the 1960's. That worked out well.

Residents who bought in Adamstown were promised a whole range of facilities in 2007 but little or none have been provided and its turning into an extension of the Lucan sprawl.

Even if these parks are developed they will be done by the council with a tiny contribution from the developers. Why are developers being excused from providing green spaces? If you have young children you can't really say to them walk a half a mile down the road to the local park in order to kick a football around. Whatever happened to having a central green area in an estate where children can play? Indeed the argument about using the park for children is ridiculous when you look at what is going on in the parks in Lucan. Griffeen Valley Park is like downtown Mosul with anti scoial behaviour the last couple of weeks and it seems to be spreading to St Catherines Park this week. Certainly not child friendly and going to get a lot worse in years to come.
Skelp is offline  
06-07-2017, 17:16   #28
Nastygal2511
Registered User
 
Nastygal2511's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 77
I just put a booking deposit on a 3 bed semi detached at 320k. I feel the pricing is good and I am happy that I have my own front drive. Has anyone else purchased here? We are on Shakelton Green in the phase that was released today.
Nastygal2511 is offline  
06-07-2017, 22:42   #29
Newbie xx
Registered User
 
Newbie xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 32
Delighted you got sorted.
Newbie xx is offline  
07-07-2017, 00:18   #30
23ChaChaCha
Registered User
 
23ChaChaCha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
Hi

I've put a booking deposit on a 3 bed on the road just behind on Shackleton Close. I was recommended to go see a similar showbouse also built by Cairn in Parkside beside Belamyne and I really loved the layout, size and use of space. The finish looked really good too. I think they're a good price when you compare them to some of the other new developments which dont have as good a layout, specifications or use of space. Im excited I really hope it's going to be a nice neighbourhood 😊
23ChaChaCha is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet