Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2010, 07:29   #61
SoupyNorman

Send a message via MSN to SoupyNorman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaog2007 View Post
hi ya, quick question , just moved into a apartment on my own,there was no kettle, toster,microwave forks, curtins, pots, pans ect ect . my mom was talking to her friend and she said all that stuff is supsose suppiled for me, so can anybody tell me what the story is??

i have my lease already signed, i was in such a rush to find a place i didnt even notice all this stuff was missing.

thanks
When I moved into my current place, the lease had a list of items supposedly supplied so I made the landlord wait while I conducted an audit of what she said was there...turned out about 20% of what was on the list was there. I ensured there was a written undertaken on the lease to supply the missing items and in fairness the Landlord was back the next day with new kettle, delph, cutlery, pots etc.

Point is, if you didnt look for these things before you signed the lease then the LL has no obligation to provide them legally so chalk this down to inexperience and impetuousness on your behalf.

Incidentally, have you even approached the LL concerning this issue? or has it just been good oul boards.ie and your mom proffering advice thus far
Advertisement
13-05-2010, 17:55   #62
Raspberries

Hi everyone I'm in the process of finding somewhere to share.

Can anyone give me some tips? It will be my first time renting so I don't really have a clue where to start. I've been looking at daft, is there any other sites I should be looking at?

What kind of things should I say/ask when looking somewhere? Should I mention that I'm a newbie to house-sharing apart from the usual sibling room sharing? Would that put some people off? Also, on some of the houses I have looked at, it says 'couples not accepted' does this mean I can't bring the boyf back every now and again or do they mean they don't want a couple in general? I was a bit confused about that.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
13-05-2010, 22:10   #63
SoupyNorman

Send a message via MSN to SoupyNorman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries View Post

Can anyone give me some tips? It will be my first time renting so I don't really have a clue where to start. I've been looking at daft, is there any other sites I should be looking at?
DAFT should be your one-stop shop. It does not really have any rivals in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries View Post
What kind of things should I say/ask when looking somewhere? Should I mention that I'm a newbie to house-sharing apart from the usual sibling room sharing? Would that put some people off? Also, on some of the houses I have looked at, it says 'couples not accepted' does this mean I can't bring the boyf back every now and again or do they mean they don't want a couple in general? I was a bit confused about that.
'Couples only', this only applies to you moving in with your partner. Having your partner over to stay from time to time is fine in the majority of instances but to be courteous it would be worth mentioning this to whomever is letting the room. I've seen cases on boards where a person has their partner over so much they make a dent in utility use and contribute substantially to filling the bins.

Other things to note:
  • Ask if the rent includes any bills
  • If not, make sure you ask what you can expect to pay
  • In general you'll have TV/Internet, gas, esb and bins....first time renters can get a little shocked at the multitude of bills!
  • Treat a viewing like an interview, gauge if you like the person who's offering the room, they'll be doing the same. It's important as you the possibilty to make friends - this eases living together.
  • Ensure you pay rent via bank transfer or failing that have a rent book...it very important to keep track of what you've paid (you'll be eligible for tax-back on it too)

Hope some of that helped.
24-05-2010, 20:57   #64
doops

Be aware

Make sure that you dont go through Irish relocation services, just had a very bad experience with them. They had a tennant for us, we agreed the price, got references and waited and waited the tennant never arrived. What a waste of time.
28-05-2010, 11:36   #65
metalgear2k2

Hi gang,

Again just looking for some tips on viewing property. My girlfriend and I will be viewing a nice house to rent this evening. Its just us that would be moving in, not sharing, is there any obvious questions we should be asking, will be our 1st time living together and while she has and is renting I have not so would be grateful for any advice ye could give us.

Thanks

Added: the house has "No Minimum Lease" on the add, what does that mean? can we be asked to leave if the land lord feels like it etc?

Last edited by metalgear2k2; 28-05-2010 at 11:43.
Advertisement
30-05-2010, 17:02   #66
Mike 1972

While door intercoms can be handy Remember If you move into Flat/Apartment/Bedsit No 1 in a building you effectively are signing up to being an 24/7 unpaid enquiry service for every gobdaw who shows up looking for a person but not knowing which flat they live in.

Try to avoid sharing with complete strangers but if you do establish whether your potential housemates partying habits = Anytime/Weekends only/Occasionally/Never

Last edited by Mike 1972; 30-05-2010 at 17:12.
14-07-2010, 12:44   #67
narfsnonsense

Hope this the right thread. I know there's a management fees thread above, but I wondering if renters are required to pay this, or if it should be the landlords?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
14-07-2010, 12:47   #68
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
If payment of the management fee isn't part of your lease agreement, then it's the landlord's responsibility. Usually landlords will build it into the monthly rent.
14-07-2010, 13:21   #69
narfsnonsense

Well I don't have a lease as I am living in a house that 2 of my mates own. They have now moved to London and I'm sharing with two others. They don't have leases either.

I don't really mind paying it, but at the same time don't want to pay it, if I don't have to!
Advertisement
14-07-2010, 13:25   #70
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
The owner of the property is liable for the management fee, you don't have to pay it.

Though you might want to tell your mates that there is a fee outstanding, otherwise they could be liable for penalties.
14-07-2010, 14:22   #71
narfsnonsense

Oh yeah will definitely tell them! Thanks Seamus
10-08-2010, 18:43   #72
goat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteym View Post
hi folks- hopefully somebody on here can help me......... I'm planning to live in Dublin City for June, July and August. Because it's only for 3 months I'm not having any success in finding places for that length of time. It's a one bed flat/apartment I'm looking for. I was told I could sign a 6 months/1 year lease and that it would be in my rights to opt out before 6 months and just give the landlord a months notice. Am I entitled to do that and would I get my deposit back???
you are within your rights to give one months notice in writing,
31-08-2010, 14:49   #73
Tea-a-Maria

I have a quick question.I'm just after getting off the phone with my landlord.I was asking him about what to do about moving out next week,my first contact with him about it.He said he needed a month's notice,despite us agreeing to a one-year lease which was coming to it's natural end.

He said that unless we could find someone to take the house off us,he'd have to deduct a month's rent from our deposit.

Is he right?Or do I have any recourse?
07-09-2010, 17:32   #74
goat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-a-Maria View Post
I have a quick question.I'm just after getting off the phone with my landlord.I was asking him about what to do about moving out next week,my first contact with him about it.He said he needed a month's notice,despite us agreeing to a one-year lease which was coming to it's natural end.

He said that unless we could find someone to take the house off us,he'd have to deduct a month's rent from our deposit.

Is he right?Or do I have any recourse?
if you did not give him written notice one months worth and now is the first time you came up with this to himthen he has every right to take one months noticewhere by if you had gone to the trouble of a few minuits to jot down a note to him in writing a month ago, he could not come back on you then
26-10-2010, 22:35   #75
zom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-a-Maria View Post
He said he needed a month's notice,despite us agreeing to a one-year lease
What's in your contract?

And quick one from me - could landlord force tenant to use vacuum cleaner with broken cord rewind? I presume it's safe, but it's broken someway and shouldn't be repaird first?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion