Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-12-2008, 19:02   #46
JuliusCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley2 View Post
1)re the EUR10,000 tax free income limit:

Revenue say that:" The total (gross) rent you receive (which includes sums the tenant pays for food, laundry or similar goods and services) cannot exceed €10,000. If you receive rental income over and above this amount, you are not entitled to the relief."

Does "similar goods and services" include any contribution towards bills ("services") such as Electricity, Gas, TV, phone etc?
not unless you are manufacturing the Gas and Electricity etc yourself - the laundry & food charges apply if you are cooking for them, providing meals and doing their laundry for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley2 View Post
2) What's reasonable access re shared areas of the house? e.g. am I expected to share my living room, TV. etc?

While I hardly expect tenants to come home and lock themselves in their room every night, neither could I bear to have to share the TV remote, or worse yet sit together and make small talk all evening...!
I think you got your answer in the forum below. Your house will be home for the tenants too! That's what they are paying for! Why not just convert your shed into a 'studio apartment"? O wait, you can't get away with that anymore.
Advertisement
11-02-2009, 01:19   #47
fugazied

Be aware that 9/10 real estate agents will try to take all of your bond when you move out (usually unfairly). They always side with the landlord. Put everything in writing, take photos of everything and submit them to the real estate agency. Never trust the real estate agent, as soon as you move out they will turn into a vicious person trying to get your bond for ridiculous reasons.
12-03-2009, 10:44   #48
grundie

Check ventilation!

The house we are about to move out of has poor ventilation meaning that some corners get damp, in particular ones around the wardrobea. The result of this is that clothing in the wardrobe that hasn't been used in a while is slightly damp and has gone mouldy.

If appliances keep breaking down don't be afraid to ask for a new one. Our washing machine broke down 5 times in three months. We asked the landlord to replace it on the grounds that we had no alternative way to wash clothes bar driving to a launderette and it would probably be cheaper for them as they were clearly throwing good money after bad on the repair costs.

If something does break down, report it immediately! You paying for it, so make sure it works.

If you have a a paranoid landlord only speak to them when you have a witness present. I had such a landlord, I paid on time every month, but he always found a reason to pop round every week and get into the house. His main worry was that there were more people staying in the house than there should be. Eventually it got nasty. He walked in on me naked one day (I had just showered) without giving me notice. He had the belief that ringing the bell was giving notice. I had my solicitor write him a letter reminding of his obligation to give notice before entering the house,so he gave me notice to quit six months ahead of the lease end on the grounds that seeing my girlfriends bra in my wash basket was reason to believe I had someone living with me. It never went to court, but those last six months were tense.

Make sure gas appliances are safety tested every year.
12-03-2009, 11:10   #49
Mink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundie View Post
He walked in on me naked one day (I had just showered) without giving me notice. He had the belief that ringing the bell was giving notice. I had my solicitor write him a letter reminding of his obligation to give notice before entering the house,so he gave me notice to quit six months ahead of the lease end on the grounds that seeing my girlfriends bra in my wash basket was reason to believe I had someone living with me.
That is such a violation of privacy. You were dead right with the solicitor's letter. Can't believe he based quitting the lease on a bra. Clutching at straps straws
12-03-2009, 11:27   #50
grundie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink View Post
That is such a violation of privacy. You were dead right with the solicitor's letter. Can't believe he based quitting the lease on a bra. Clutching at straps straws
By his own admission he managed to pressure someone to leave (voluntarily) another of his properties on similar grounds. I tried to find out who it was so I could tell them off for being an idiot and to go sue him.

The above mentioned landlord always had an excuse to pop round. He had to 'look at something' or 'check something'. Such was his paranoia about getting ripped off he insisted on being present when he was getting new double glazing installed in the property. The glaziers admitted to me that they were seriously pissed off by him sitting staring at them all day. After the new windows were installed he waited three months to redecorate the bare plater around the windows.

My solicitor had told me that I probably would have a good claim against him for breach of contract, privacy and possibly even harassment for breaching my right to free enjoyment of the property with all his visits. I decided not to sue because of his stubbornness, he would be the sort of person who'd rather got to jail than pay out on a court order.

He once pleaded poverty to me, yet he owned 38 properties and was very proud of his Patek Philippe watch (they make Rolex look like Casio). The cheek!

So long as you pay your rent you are entitled to live in the property as if it were your own property. If the landlord wants in he has to pre-arrange it and he needs good reason too. If he messes around with you, put him in his place!
Advertisement
12-03-2009, 11:59   #51
Mink

I'm lucky I rent room in easy going friend's house!
Thanks from:
01-09-2009, 16:16   #52
doodle_bear

ROOM AVAILABLE FOR IADT STUDENT

Hey all,

Myself and 2 other IADT students have found a house in Foxrock but we need a 4th person to rent with.
The house is about 20mins from the college but buses are right there for people who dont like to walk!
The house is really spacious, has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms......
heres the link:
http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Ker...lin-18/771587/

We havnt put a deposit down yet but we intend on doing so ASAP as college starts monday so please contact me at

lhanlon182@hotmail.com the name is Lara, btw.
13-09-2009, 00:40   #53
tanyaog2007

hi ya, quick question , just moved into a apartment on my own,there was no kettle, toster,microwave forks, curtins, pots, pans ect ect . my mom was talking to her friend and she said all that stuff is supsose suppiled for me, so can anybody tell me what the story is??

i have my lease already signed, i was in such a rush to find a place i didnt even notice all this stuff was missing.

thanks
20-09-2009, 01:40   #54
Victor

Quote:
i have my lease already signed,
What does the lease say? If it is silent on these things, you can't expect them to be included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaog2007 View Post
there was no kettle, toster,microwave forks, curtins, pots, pans ect ect
Many places wouldn't have these things, although most places do have curtains.
Quote:
my mom was talking to her friend and she said all that stuff is supsose suppiled for me, so can anybody tell me what the story is??
Says who?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2010, 16:01   #55
pikachucheeks

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I think it's very important to make sure your potential house mates are sound and you can get on relatively well with each other before you choose to move in.

There's nothing worse than living in a hostile or unfriendly environment. Makes things very awkward and you could end up miserable.
27-01-2010, 00:36   #56
Darksaga87

Hi folks, Just have a quick question.

Im currently living in rented accom. with the GF.
We signed a 12 month lease with the landlord. Our circumstances have changed and now we have to move. We are in the house approx 6 months.
There are no problems with the house or the landlord, and she is pretty sound.

So my question is: Am I entitled to our deposit back?
From reading through Threshold.ie, it appears we are, but they have many was of wording things. so can anyone give me advice as t how to proceed?

Thanks.

EDIT: found more info on it, turns out im not really entitled to the deposit back AFAIK.

Last edited by Darksaga87; 27-01-2010 at 00:43.
10-02-2010, 16:51   #57
pele10

Landlord - Alarm

We want our landlord to install an alarm in the apartment as there has been some breakins in nearby apartments. He put in an extra chubb lock, however we want an alarm and he is relucant to shell out the funds. Where does a tenant stand legally on this type of issue? As a last resort we will move out and get apartment with an alarm as there are loads of ones at good value.
02-03-2010, 20:35   #58
wyrn

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new place to rent and I think I've found somewhere that seems ok.

The LL doesn't seem bothered about signing a lease - how normal is this. They have no problem in drawing one up. Their reason was to see how I got on with the other housemates.

Seems fair enough - what do you think? 12 month lease would give me peace of mind. On the other hand who knows what the housemates are like and what my (financial) circumstances will be in the future.

Also what's the best way to give a deposit & rent? I was thinking of just using online banking (I've no cheque book). I presume that's nice and traceable. I'm very wary about handing over large sums of money.
04-03-2010, 05:49   #59
Doop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10 View Post
We want our landlord to install an alarm in the apartment as there has been some breakins in nearby apartments. He put in an extra chubb lock, however we want an alarm and he is relucant to shell out the funds. Where does a tenant stand legally on this type of issue? As a last resort we will move out and get apartment with an alarm as there are loads of ones at good value.
Sounds like you'll be moving out so...

Landlord is not obliged to provide an alarm...

Legally,.. you rented the property as it was when you went to view it. .. ie no alarm.
Thanks from:
04-05-2010, 13:35   #60
tomcollins97

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrn View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new place to rent and I think I've found somewhere that seems ok.

The LL doesn't seem bothered about signing a lease - how normal is this. They have no problem in drawing one up. Their reason was to see how I got on with the other housemates.

Seems fair enough - what do you think? 12 month lease would give me peace of mind. On the other hand who knows what the housemates are like and what my (financial) circumstances will be in the future.

Also what's the best way to give a deposit & rent? I was thinking of just using online banking (I've no cheque book). I presume that's nice and traceable. I'm very wary about handing over large sums of money.
typically it would be unusual to have a lease in a house share. Most people wouldn't want one in case they don't get on with the others in the house. EFT is fine and traceable for deposit and rent, just clearly state on the narrative what the money is for. Forget the lease, but do get something signed to cover what basis the deposit is being taken on and in what instance can the deposit or a part thereof be retained.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion