Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

08-11-2018, 15:38   #46
amcalester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonylfc View Post
why you talking pony ???

what's underhanded about my tenant of 7 years getting his rent about 700 a month less than market value ?? yeah i sound like i'm out to screw him over

i just want a bit more as i am entitled to it , won't be ramping it up and have already agreed a raise with the tenant , was getting 1050 now its 1350 and he is actually over the moon with that , as he knows anywhere else he's paying alot more

job done
Now that is underhanded.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 15:38   #47
Anthonylfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorm View Post
Only if you undertake substantial work that would require him to move out and you to increase the rate to market value.
work ???

the house is only a 10 year old house , it's spotless and has all mod cons
08-11-2018, 15:40   #48
Anthonylfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcalester View Post
Now that is underhanded.
don't see how

i've been extremely good to him the past 7 years , house inspection once a year , leave him be , he pays rent

there is a 3 bed opposite side of the road for €1650 so he has a 4 bed and €300 less than the 3 bed and another bedroom
08-11-2018, 15:43   #49
amcalester

Quote:
don't see how

i've been extremely good to him the past 7 years , house inspection once a year , leave him be , he pays rent

there is a 3 bed opposite side of the road for €1650 so he has a 4 bed and €300 less than the 3 bed and another bedroom
Have a read of this thread, it helpfully explains everything.

Increasing Rent
08-11-2018, 15:52   #50
pc7

anthonylfc be very careful, you have broken the rules in an RPZ in terms of rent increase, while the tenant is your 'friend' now and agreeing to it there is nothing to stop them taking a case against you down the line for this. In the eyes of the RTB you have left yourself open to hassle.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 15:57   #51
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Well all the information was posted here. One more time:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...enting_a_home/

I'd like to think that if LL and tenant have shook hands on a new deal and are both happy with it that would be that.
08-11-2018, 16:10   #52
Anthonylfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
Well all the information was posted here. One more time:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...enting_a_home/

I'd like to think that if LL and tenant have shook hands on a new deal and are both happy with it that would be that.
exactly

he knows full well if he went elsewhere he would be out of pocket by alot more

he actually sighed in relief as he thought i was gonna ask full market value etc

he's completely cool and first payment in feb
08-11-2018, 16:20   #53
Subutai

Quote:
exactly

he knows full well if he went elsewhere he would be out of pocket by alot more

he actually sighed in relief as he thought i was gonna ask full market value etc

he's completely cool and first payment in feb
Or, and this is what any well advised tenant would do, he agrees the increase knowing that he can dispute it at his leisure later and have you pay the difference back.

That way he avoids any potential of you deciding to do, as some have suggested, significant refurbishments in order to kick him out. If he has any sense he'll wait until he's into his next Part 4, raise a dispute looking for the difference back, and in doing so also insulate himself from any eviction threat via intention to sell or refurbish through the protections under s 14 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

All you're doing is holding some savings for him.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 16:32   #54
Anthonylfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post
Or, and this is what any well advised tenant would do, he agrees the increase knowing that he can dispute it at his leisure later and have you pay the difference back.

That way he avoids any potential of you deciding to do, as some have suggested, significant refurbishments in order to kick him out. If he has any sense he'll wait until he's into his next Part 4, raise a dispute looking for the difference back, and in doing so also insulate himself from any eviction threat via intention to sell or refurbish through the protections under s 14 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

All you're doing is holding some savings for him.
not everybody is as negative as you

cheer up
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 16:36   #55
Fol20

Quote:

cheer up
Well, if you want to be in the business for the long game and not get badly burned you need to think of every eventuality that can happen and everything he described is very possible. Its about mitigating risk, not creating it.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 16:39   #56
Subutai

Quote:

cheer up
It's not about being negative or positive, it's about running a business in a way that won't leave you open to owing someone a lot of money in a year's time and being unable to evict following that.

You shouldn't assume that just because you're ignorant of the rules governing your business that your tenant is too.
(7) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:26   #57
mrslancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc7 View Post
anthonylfc be very careful, you have broken the rules in an RPZ in terms of rent increase, while the tenant is your 'friend' now and agreeing to it there is nothing to stop them taking a case against you down the line for this. In the eyes of the RTB you have left yourself open to hassle.
does a dispute about a rent increase have to be made within 28 days?

Do you mean the new rent can be paid for months and then be disputed?

What's the 28 day period mentioned in the RTB rent increase template about??
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 10:22   #58
tvjunki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslancaster View Post
does a dispute about a rent increase have to be made within 28 days?

Do you mean the new rent can be paid for months and then be disputed?

What's the 28 day period mentioned in the RTB rent increase template about??
At anytime a tenant can challenge the rent increase. When they have moved to another place they can contact rtb and say they did not understand their rights.

Law implies Landlords know the law as they are in business and the tenant does not know their rights.
09-11-2018, 10:30   #59
tvjunki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fol20 View Post
Well, if you want to be in the business for the long game and not get badly burned you need to think of every eventuality that can happen and everything he described is very possible. Its about mitigating risk, not creating it.
Op You have to cover yourself as the tenant will get back the over payment in the future plus compensation when you decide to sell or your relationship with your tenant goes pearshaped. The tenant can go to rtb anytime. The law assumes you as a landlord know the law..you don't want to get badly stung in the future.
09-11-2018, 12:26   #60
Graham

Mod Note

Thread closed pending mod review.
Thread Closed