Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Idleater wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of sticksville at the moment, and the one s signal is 1 bar on occasions otherwise 0. The signal strength is -109 db from the testing screen and the connection is 3g.
    How do those figures compare to you ?

Pretty close

-111dbm -1asu 3G 0 Bars

-97dbm 8asu GPRS 3 bars

At the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Is there accessories available anywhere in Dublin at retail?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

tok9 wrote:
    I was a bank statement away from getting this earlier.

In carphone warehouse with meteor 329 euro and 12 month contract on 35 euro a month, 200 texts and 200 mins and 1GB of data. Seems good to me although I must ring meteor as I'm pretty sure they said the bill was 30 euro.
    They add €5 if you want a 12 month contract instead of 18

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

cooperguy wrote: »
    They add €5 if you want a 12 month contract instead of 18

That's probably it but it turned out data wasn't added to the bill. so without data it was 30 and with (which I got) it was 35.

Anyway, very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Had a look at a one x in cpw in cork today and it wasnt as big as what i thought it would be,must say it doesnt look as good in black so am not disappointed i didnt hold out and will keep the s id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

tok9 wrote: »
    That's probably it but it turned out data wasn't added to the bill. so without data it was 30 and with (which I got) it was 35.

Anyway, very happy with it
    Congrats on the new phone! :pac:

So let's see:
    yours: 12 months x €35 + €329 phone = €749
    online offer says "Discount applied for a whole year" so: (12 months x €25.41) + (6 months x €30.50) + €299 phone = €786.92
    A little difference your way, and tied for only 12 months! :eek: I'm off to CPW.

How do you ask for this package? Last I spoke to them (Blanch SC) they said it's 18 months only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just ordered a White One X. Should have it by Tuesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

BeciMester wrote: »
    Congrats on the new phone! :pac:

So let's see:
    yours: 12 months x €35 + €329 phone = €749
    online offer says "Discount applied for a whole year" so: (12 months x €25.41) + (6 months x €30.50) + €299 phone = €786.92
    A little difference your way, and tied for only 12 months! :eek: I'm off to CPW.

How do you ask for this package? Last I spoke to them (Blanch SC) they said it's 18 months only.

They had a magazine there which showed all the bill pay plans for each network. It was with meteor anyway, so just ask for the 12 month contract at 35 a month and they should have a fair idea. (I went to the Killarney CPW branch, shouldn't make a difference though)

Also I didn't have a choice of colour for mine, they only had grey, which is fine. Probably would have went with Black if I had the chance as I don't think I'd like a white phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Blank NFC tags arrived today.
    Now to think up pointless crap with them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

How about sticking one onto your other half, so that an alarm goes off if they touch your phone :p

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    How about sticking one onto your other half, so that an alarm goes off if they touch your phone :p

I need an other half 1st :(
    /runs off crying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

How did you know which ones to buy? And how do you set them up? Any feedback form your experience will be most welcome please Chinholio:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Dont forget 25% off your monthly commitment with Meteor. The OH used it no problem. Can't be used in CPW.

http://www.groupscheme.com/ie/vouchers/voucher-meteor.php?real-domain=hssroi.groupscheme.com

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Just downloading Revolution HD 1.2.2 which has this fixed, along with the annoying Sense reloading issue that 1.2.0 had.
    Should be a nice update!

Downloaded it as well and all was working great until I noticed wifi tethering doesn't seem to be working. Have tried both the included hotspot app and barnacle. Would you mind checking to see if you have the same issue?

MoodeRator wrote: »
    How did you know which ones to buy? And how do you set them up? Any feedback form your experience will be most welcome please Chinholio:)

I got these ones. 1K memory was recommended for assigning a high number of tasks to them and theyre pre-formatted (cutting out a step). They can probably be gotten cheaper but I was too impatient to look :pac:

For assigning tasks to them I bought NFC Task Launcher. After that its all pretty simple. The app gives you options of creating Tasks, Switches, Messages, Bookmarks.
    Pick a task and it gives a menu of everything (including tasker integration if you use it and social network like 4square, twitter, fb). Specify what you want and as you add stuff it gives a memory count. Click finish, tap the tag and it writes to it then youre all set!

Only one ive set up so far is for work that turns off wifi, turns off ring and notification sounds, puts vibrate on. The NFC chip seems to be near the lower end (just under the htc logo) so tapping can be a little awkward. Works flawlessly though

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I have noticed that the back of my phone gets pretty warm if i am using wi-fi or 3G signal for approx 5 minutes. This could be normal, I am coming from a Desire. Does anybody else notice the same thing or I am just getting too paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I got these ones. 1K memory was recommended for assigning a high number of tasks to them and theyre pre-formatted (cutting out a step). They can probably be gotten cheaper but I was too impatient to look :pac:

For assigning tasks to them I bought NFC Task Launcher. After that its all pretty simple. The app gives you options of creating Tasks, Switches, Messages, Bookmarks.
    Pick a task and it gives a menu of everything (including tasker integration if you use it and social network like 4square, twitter, fb). Specify what you want and as you add stuff it gives a memory count. Click finish, tap the tag and it writes to it then youre all set!

Only one ive set up so far is for work that turns off wifi, turns off ring and notification sounds, puts vibrate on. The NFC chip seems to be near the lower end (just under the htc logo) so tapping can be a little awkward. Works flawlessly though

Does it only work to turn them on or does tapping it on the same tag reverse the inputs? So, for example, if you set it to turn on Wifi, bluetooth and Mobile Internet off, will it turn Wifi off and bluetooth/mobile internet on with a second tap?

Does it only work to turn them on or does tapping it on the same tag reverse the inputs? So, for example, if you set it to turn on Wifi, bluetooth and Mobile Internet off, will it turn Wifi off and bluetooth/mobile internet on with a second tap?

You can set it up as a switch so tap it to turn on then tap again to turn off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

Got the phone and I have to say it is class! The screen is just magnificent on it. Need to get me a cover for it now.

Very happy to get it on a 12 month contract too.

Have to agree....screen is SO much better then the Galaxy Nexus I came from. Anyone running any custom ROM's yet?? Thoughts.....

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

Any idea of when Vodafone or car phone warehouse will be stocking the white one x?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

They had a magazine there which showed all the bill pay plans for each network. It was with meteor anyway, so just ask for the 12 month contract at 35 a month and they should have a fair idea. (I went to the Killarney CPW branch, shouldn't make a difference though)

Also I didn't have a choice of colour for mine, they only had grey, which is fine. Probably would have went with Black if I had the chance as I don't think I'd like a white phone.
    Thanks, just one more question if you don't mind: did yours come unlocked and unbranded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I have noticed that the back of my phone gets pretty warm if i am using wi-fi or 3G signal for approx 5 minutes. This could be normal, I am coming from a Desire. Does anybody else notice the same thing or I am just getting too paranoid?

Most higher clocked phones or dual core phone exert a little heat when used for a while, especially since their made so thin the screen, battery and the components of the phone are closer together and to the shell and your hand which is why ya notice the heat more. Sensation, S2 even my Titan get warmed up when using the internet for a while, not for 5 mins maybe but it doesnt have to be used for a very long time.

I think the S2 used to be the worst especially if your playing a game or had the screen brightness to max, in some cases if the screen brightness was max and was used for a long time it would lower it automatically to prevent overheating :) So a bit of heat is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BeciMester wrote: »
    Thanks, just one more question if you don't mind: did yours come unlocked and unbranded?
    someone earlier in the thread said that all the CPW phones are unbranded & unlocked, but i've not seen confirmation from anyone else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

vibe666 wrote: »
    someone earlier in the thread said that all the CPW phones are unbranded & unlocked, but i've not seen confirmation from anyone else yet.

I have a CPW Grey One X, no branding and 100% unlocked :-)

Cheers,
    M

vibe666 wrote: »

It might be just for the start while their trying to get in as much stock as possible and skipping the locking and branding process in order to meet the launch demand.

As far as ones ive seen all of them are generic. Its usually the case when a new smartphone launches. Further on stock may receive branding and locking when the demand for the phone dies down a bit and they got more time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

One X has just been shipped....

Excitement building....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

madmoe wrote: »
    I have a CPW Grey One X, no branding and 100% unlocked :-)

Cheers,
    M

I am due to go into CPW on Wednesday to get my One X.

Do you know your software version? Having read all the stuff over at XDA about screen flickering problems I am getting wary and wondering if I should wait until later stock arrives.

Thanks

motownman wrote: »
    I am due to go into CPW on Wednesday to get my One X.

Do you know your software version? Having read all the stuff over at XDA about screen flickering problems I am getting wary and wondering if I should wait until later stock arrives.

Thanks

If anything like that happens you can get a replacement withing 28 days. As long as you can reproduce the fault in the shop. One of the advanatages of getting it in a shop i suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Can anyone explain to me, or perhaps suggest some genuinely useful NFC uses?

I can think of plenty myself, but as far as I'm aware none of them are possible - IE, I live in London, it would be nice that I could link my Oyster Card to my phone and use that instead. I'm also noticing lots of people using contactless visa / barclays payments these days. I don't have a contactless card, but is there a way I could use my phone in a similar fashion? I was reading up on Google Wallet, but it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing.

There is huge potential there for the technology, no doubt... it just seems difficult to identify a practical and genuinely useful way to utilize it at this stage -- OR, am I wrong? I hope I am. Please enlighten me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got a desire and desire hd from the meteor shop in blanch almost a year and a half ago and both were unlocked and unbranded and neither were close to their original launch date at the time afaik. not sure how relevant that is, but thought i'd share. :)
    motownman wrote: »
    if its a downlevel firmware and there are newer firmwares available that fix a particular problem, would you not just update the firmware yourself to fix it, or am i missing something? is it a hardware fault on earlier models maybe? :confused:

Advertisement