Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alabamawhurley

Pregnant man
    original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Jonestown.gif

Jonestown massacre. Over 900 died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Rodney King beatings .. and the LA Riots.

rodney-king.jpg

la-riots.jpg

la%20riots.gif

rodneyking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

wall21.jpgSoldier decides the west is looking more attractive. this was the last section of wall at check point charlie beng constructed. pretty cool photo
    97521.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I know 9/11 has been done already but

A photographer's series of photos as he reaches closer to the scene.

911_1.jpg

911_2.jpg

911_n4.jpg

911_n2.jpg

Getting closer now

911_4.jpg
    911_6.jpg

At the scene
    911_7.jpg
    911_8.jpg

911_15.jpg

The final exposure of Bill Biggarts life
    911_n3.jpg

This amazing photo was tooken the split second the first building collapsed. Bill biggart died in it and these photos were recovered from a digital camera.

biggartgear.jpg

All that remained of his photographic gear.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

6165A09C9450401C98EFD070B005224D.jpg

tur0012-bush-gore-2000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is Hans Conrad Schumann he was a soldier in the East German Bereitschaftspolizei.

Conrad-schumann.jpg

As the wikipedia article goes; "On 15 August 1961 he found himself, aged 19, guarding the Berlin Wall,then in its third day of construction, at the corner of Ruppiner Straße and Bernauer Straße. At that stage of construction, the Berlin Wall was only a low barbed wire fence. As the people on the Western side shouted Komm rüber! ("come over"), Schumann jumped the barbed wire and was driven away at high speeds by a waiting West Berlin police car. Photographer Peter Leibing captured a photograph of his escape on film."

This photograph definitely shook the world.
    Peterfechterlaysdying.jpg

Here is being carried away by an East Berlin Border Guard
    fechter.jpg

thumbnail.php?max=408&id=1787

The picture is of the dead body of Peter Fechter he was the first person to be shot by GDR border guards in East Berlin while trying to cross the wall, he was left to die before GDR police retrieved his body. He was 18 years old.

Now I don't know if this shook the world but it's worth having in here anyway.
    nwh1u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What exactly are we looking at el siglo. i presume that is Hitler in the picture.

Where and why is the crowd there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What exactly are we looking at el siglo. i presume that is Hitler in the picture.

It's outside lidl last Thursday morning. They were doing a savage offer on kitchenware.

Its a young hitler, 1914, At the start of WW1 at a rally shortly before he enlisted in the army.
    young_hitler2.jpg A photo from the same timeframe of him by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's outside lidl last Thursday morning. They were doing a savage offer on kitchenware.

Ovens?

It was Hitler in 1923 at a protest rally in Munich at the Feldherrnhalle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

furiousox wrote: »
    To me this is what real and actual evil looks like.

Roy Whiting, paedo who murdered sarah payne pictured at his arrest and again after a few years in prison.
    The mask has dropped and the monster beneath is revealed.

whitingDM1306_228x326.jpg

whiting_380x529_725551a.jpg

Great thread
    What a difference between the pics, got a bit of a fright there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Columbine

columbine-shooting.jpg

blood.jpg

Waco

jonestown-massacre.jpg

Charles Manson

manson1a.jpg

The first Bombing of Iraq

baghdad-bombing.jpg

Darksaga87 wrote: »

The first Bombing of Iraq

baghdad-bombing.jpg
    Wow, I remember watching that live, Thats basically for alot of Iraqi people the beginning of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

El Siglo wrote: »
    It was Hitler in 1918 I think at a protest rally in Berlin.

I'm fairly sure it's Munich, I recognise those lion statues from when i was there and it's where a some of those rallies took place.

<edit> yep it was here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Wow, I remember watching that live, Thats basically for alot of Iraqi people the beginning of an era.

Yeah i remeber it too, they basically done a countdown, 10-9-8 etc, then let rip on the city.

playa3 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it's Munich, I recognise those lion statues from when i was there and it's where a some of those rallies took place.

<edit> yep it was here

Apologies. However you will notice that I wrote that at 20 past 2 last night so I wasn't in the form to try and find the exact location of the photograph etc... I'll change it anyway. Thanks!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Yes but no one really even gave a shudder outside of ireland and maybe the U.K.

To people in canada for example a bombing in dublin would be like us hearing about a bomb over in mexico or something. We look at it with interest but it doesn't really affect us greatly.

Are you for real?You post a photograph of a dead pop-singer who has had no major humanitarian impact on the world in any way and then a few posts later you try to say that the Dublin and Monaghan bombings were pretty much ignored outside Ireland and England?

A picture of Michael Jackson, alive, dead or dieing, has nor ever will shake the world.He's dead, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Waco

jonestown-massacre.jpg

That picture is from Jonestown and not Waco. The whole kool aid drinking mass suicide.

jonestown_06.jpg

victims.gif

Why are all the people laying face down in the above pics ^

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why are all the people laying face down in the above pics ^

Because nobody thought to prop themselves up with sticks before taking a drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Some really amazing and iconic images there! Whoops, after 25 (and counting) pages of them, there goes a Sunday afternoon well and truly laid to rest.

Because nobody thought to prop themselves up with sticks before taking a drink?

I mean why face down, why is nobody laying face up? Just seems strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I mean why face down, why is nobody laying face up? Just seems strange...

Cause people only fall backwards when they die in the movies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Suppose ones of war and death are always the ones that shock the world

London Bombings:
    London_Bombings_01_large.jpg

9/11:
    twin-towers_9-11.jpg

Madrid Bombings:
    PD4533014@epa00151270-The-wreck-2936.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

prinz wrote: »
    Funny I have heard them say it was pretty much spur of the moment stuff, evidenced by the fact they only had one pair of gloves so had to take one each and give the salute with opposite arms..
    It wasn't spur of the moment. One of them forgot his gloves on the way to the podium so they shared the one pair. Peter Norman, the other guy on the podium also wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights in support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i've not seen this on here yet....

loch_ness_monster_580x.jpg

Advertisement