Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N Square Steakhouse and seafood

• 27-02-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Has anyone eaten here yet??
    Drove by on saturday night and the place looked busy

https://www.facebook.com/NSquareCork
    no menu on their facebook page, any idea of prices? or deals going on at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is this the one before lets say if you took the next right you would be heading up towards Blackpool.. Would love to know also if it is any good, we were just saying that Cork City has no nice Fish restaurnat

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Ya the restaurant is the the quays opposite the Opera House,

Havent seen any advertisments for the place yet and there is little or no detail on the facebook page.

Anyone been here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

All I know so far is that I stared at their name and had no idea what it said until I saw it here. The design doesn't make it the easiest thing to understand. Granted, it was at night, but still.

I'd be interested in hearing experiences.

It's only a stones throw from Patrick Street but it's a woeful location I think, horrible, gloomy, sh1tty part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's only a stones throw from Patrick Street but it's a woeful location I think, horrible, gloomy, sh1tty part of town.

I agree - it's a terrible location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Location could possibly kill it, but I love my steak, so will be interesting to hear feedback from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Faith wrote: »
    All I know so far is that I stared at their name and had no idea what it said until I saw it here. The design doesn't make it the easiest thing to understand. Granted, it was at night, but still.

Ya I wasn't sure of the name myself, took a while to find the facebook page.:o I thought is was just called steakhouse and seafood till I went searching for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sarah86 wrote: »
    shilling ....

Wow such enthusiasm, and indepth knowledge of a business that's not yours.... anyway welcome to boards since you've just joined and that's yr first post.....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Sarah86 wrote: »
    shilling

You're probably well intentioned, but coming on a thread to promote a business that's clearly yours isn't the best move. It's what's known as Shilling, and it's really obvious.

Been driving past the place for the last few days though, and really thinking of popping in for a Steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

trimmed a bit of shilling there. report the posts please people, we'll get to them faster that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Hey guys, yeah it's really nice! Staff are friendly and the food is good :) It's lovely on the inside as well, very good fish menu :) What did Shilling say? I'm curious :p

aoife1991 wrote: »
    What did Shilling say? I'm curious :p

Usual shilling - they're brilliant, check out their Fb page, here's their opening hours, and their phone number, and did I mention they're brilliant?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was stopped opposite yesterday morning trying to decipher the name because I still hadn't figured it out since the morning two weeks ago when I first saw it.

The typeface is all over the place and I'd be concerned at how good a steakhouse could be that also does seafood and tapas. Lot of specialities rolled into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmeliaO

Went there Friday night, had the early bird deal, the steak was gorgeous, my boyfriend, had some sort of fillet sea bass, he loved it aswell and we're both quite picky! Would recommend booking though if you're thinking of going on the weekend tbh - twas packed! staff were sound aswell! tricky location so close to Brannigans and all but sure, the food made up for it!!

If we were stuck could you get us in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Was there Saturday night, great steak and rack of lamb, some interesting complementary north African starters and a smashing creme brulee. Didn't wait long for the food and the table service was excellent. Surprisingly diverse menu too. We left more of a tip then we normally would so I suppose that says a lot. The restaurant itself is nicely done inside, I just hope the slightly out of the way location doesn't hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Was there Saturday night, great steak and rack of lamb, some interesting complementary north African starters and a smashing creme brulee. Didn't wait long for the food and the table service was excellent. Surprisingly diverse menu too. We left more of a tip then we normally would so I suppose that says a lot. The restaurant itself is nicely done inside, I just hope the slightly out of the way location doesn't hurt them.

What are the prices like? Hoping to go in some eveing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Cadyboo wrote: »
    What are the prices like? Hoping to go in some eveing this week.

fillet steak with chips, veg, optional sauce was €26, this was the most expensive thing on the menu I think! The creme brulee was about a fiver, and there were some great value starters as well if I recall. Glass of wine less than €5, that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was tempted to try this place and I'm usually fairly good at putting the word out for positive experiences in new places, e.g. Seamo's, Bierhalle's - excellent value brunch I should add - but the shilling has put me right off. It's a dishonest practice and raises further questions about a business in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They are not helping themselves by not having menus printed outside.
    Who goes into a restaurant for the first time without having a look at the menu?!

Regarding the illegible sign, I'm pretty sure that the 'N' part of the sign was put up upside down. The logo here looks like an 'N' but on the wall of the building it doesn't because it is upside down!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was tempted to try this place and I'm usually fairly good at putting the word out for positive experiences in new places, e.g. Seamo's, Bierhalle's - excellent value brunch I should add - but the shilling has put me right off. It's a dishonest practice and raises further questions about a business in my mind.

Get over yourself FFS.

An eager owner trying to get some customers into their new business shocker :rolleyes:

gimmick wrote: »

Get over yourself FFS.

An eager owner trying to get some customers into their new business shocker :rolleyes:

Well then why not be open about it and say "hey folks we've just opened for business" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It was an error of judgement. Not everyone is very internet savvy.

Certainly should not stop someone from giving a new place a try.

Shilling existed long before the internet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gimmick wrote: »
    It was an error of judgement. Not everyone is very internet savvy.

Certainly should not stop someone from giving a new place a try.

Shilling is not an 'error of judgement' :rolleyes:. I agree with Oafley Jones that it's a completely dishonest practice. If you have to pretend to have satisfied customers, it doesn't bode well. A good restaurant doesn't have to make up its own reviews.

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Hey guys, yeah it's really nice! Staff are friendly and the food is good :) It's lovely on the inside as well, very good fish menu :) What did Shilling say? I'm curious :p
    AmeliaO wrote: »
    Went there Friday night, had the early bird deal, the steak was gorgeous, my boyfriend, had some sort of fillet sea bass, he loved it aswell and we're both quite picky! Would recommend booking though if you're thinking of going on the weekend tbh - twas packed! staff were sound aswell! tricky location so close to Brannigans and all but sure, the food made up for it!!

Three very positive reviews in this thread so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The shilling is annoying (if a bit understandable), but jesus have a sample menu online we can look at. I want to try it but I'm not until I can see a sample menu. If you can spend the time writing fake customer experiences online you scan surely scan a menu and put it on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Shilling is not an 'error of judgement' :rolleyes:. I agree with Oafley Jones that it's a completely dishonest practice. If you have to pretend to have satisfied customers, it doesn't bode well. A good restaurant doesn't have to make up its own reviews.

Agreed. Another dodgy practice they've engaged in is sticking flyers to bus shelters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmeliaO

SandStone wrote: »
    Agreed. Another dodgy practice they've engaged in is sticking flyers to bus shelters.

Jesus lads, would ye chill out! If you were opening a restaurant you'd be advertising in any way ye could aswell! stop being so critical over petty things. the shilling shouldn't have went about it that way - guaranteed but ye're being unnecessary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Take a Chill Pill indeed.. Im delighted this place is getting good reviews hoping to take a trip in there next week perhaps at some stage.. If the seafood is nice well defo go there more often. cant wait..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement