Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"SMS to short code numbers facility is not live at present with Lycamobile"

Means you cannot text some radio stations or enter competitions (5xxxx) - which could be viewed as a positive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

zell12 wrote: »
    "SMS to short code numbers facility is not live at present with Lycamobile"

Means you cannot text some radio stations or enter competitions (5xxxx) - which could be viewed as a positive

Or a royal pita if you cannot use Google 2fa or get texts from your bank.

vevo wrote: »
    My data download with Lyca has deteriorated massively. I did a speed test this morning and I only got 0.2mbs download rate whilst my wife is getting in the region of 5mbs on 3G from 3.ie at the same time. Ive tries to contact Lyca about this but as yet no response. I'll be switching to Tesco prepay as they've got 4G noe

yes the data speeds are brutal. I'm thinking of getting out.
    I imagine it's because they are assigned the lowest quality of service (QoS) on the three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just tried a speed test there myself and getting average 9.44Mbps (in Dublin).
    I'm still happy considering the price being charged.
    Obviously ones mileage might vary.

The last time I tried Tesco earlier this year it was shocking with numerous loss of service throughout the day. This required switching airplane mode to reconnect or even a reboot. Very frustrating. Don't know if it's still the same today though.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Just tried a speed test there myself and getting average 9.44Mbps (in Dublin).
    I'm still happy considering the price being charged.
    Obviously ones mileage might vary.

The last time I tried Tesco earlier this year it was shocking with numerous loss of service throughout the day. This required switching airplane mode to reconnect or even a reboot. Very frustrating. Don't know if it's still the same today though.

I might get that speed at 3am but never during the day. I'd be happy with 3Mbps constant but it frequently goes to edge (no speed basically). this is across different phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

footing wrote: »
    Wondering whether the major problems I'm having are caused by Lyca or just the general network? Calls cut off, people not getting through to me, etc etc. Thought it was my phone so bought a new one. No improvement.

I had major problems, people unable to get through, often with no notification of a missed call. Finally bit the bullet and moved to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

footing wrote: »
    Wondering whether the major problems I'm having are caused by Lyca or just the general network? Calls cut off, people not getting through to me, etc etc. Thought it was my phone so bought a new one. No improvement.

I had major problems, people unable to get through, often with no notification of a missed call. Finally bit the bullet and moved to Vodafone.
    I had to do the same. You pay for what you get I'm afraid. The Vodafone data speeds are incredible on 4g but also on 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

castle2012 wrote: »
    I had to do the same. You pay for what you get I'm afraid. The Vodafone data speeds are incredible on 4g but also on 3g

Funny enough, down near Castlegregory, in Kerry, the Lycamobile data is often far better than VF. In the peak summertime, I’ll still use Lycamobile as a backup (dual SIM).

Funny enough, down near Castlegregory, in Kerry, the Lycamobile data is often far better than VF. In the peak summertime, I’ll still use Lycamobile as a backup (dual SIM).

uncongested rural area I wouldn't be surprised. all down to the QoS (quality of service) algorithm that is in operation. all I can say that it's not good in high urban situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Had the same issues too. Wasn't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Was thinking of getting this but latest comment seem to suggest speeds aren't great/consistent. What are peoples alternatives? I guess going for any €20 deal with vodafone or three is the best?

Vodafone student X deal €20 / month... See previous bargain alert for details

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This crowd are terrible.
    Doing my head in. There are at least 5 numbers that I can't text and there are some that can't text me, there are also numbers that can't ring/be called.

I rang customer helpline only to be told by a girl that it was all the other peoples phones or service providers that were at fault. That it couldn't be them. When I tried to explain to her that it was definitely them (there is another family member using lyca with similar issues), she raised her voice to tell me I was wrong. I eventually finished that call and rang back. Got a guy, he took details, opened a ticket and told me it would take 24 hours. That was a week and a half ago.
    I rang back today, gave my ticket number, had to give all the same details - how many handsets have I tried, what number can I not text (not numbers), what date did I text them, have I tried +3538 instead of 08 and they will get back to me in 24 hours.

This has become a biger problem, the list of numbers I am unable to text is growing. Thet cannot be completely unaware of this issue. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

Are others here having the same issue? I know others were, but they may all have left since. Is there anybody still using lyca, with those or similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I had the same issues, took forever to get them to accept the issue was on their side but not after being told repeatedly it was the fault of other providers. They eventually did fix this issue though but it took lots of following up with them if the time they gave me had expired. So I'm sure they're very aware of this and don't know why they are dismissive about it and don't just sort it. Not sure what the loss is to them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Tried to top up 5 euro through Paypal to test out the network. Payment confirmed on Paypal account. Nothing has been topped up yet on the LM account. Ominous beginning to a test-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Tried to top up 5 euro through Paypal to test out the network. Payment confirmed on Paypal account. Nothing has been topped up yet on the LM account. Ominous beginning to a test-run.

It seems PayPal topups are take longer time to be processed in my experience.

yes can take up to 1/2 an hour to come through sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Anybody having a problem buying an Ireland Plus bundle with existing credit? When I click on A/C Balance it redirects back to the bundle screen. I've tried it on 2 different numbers and numerous browsers but all give the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Anybody having a problem buying an Ireland Plus bundle with existing credit? When I click on A/C Balance it redirects back to the bundle screen. I've tried it on 2 different numbers and numerous browsers but all give the same problem.

You can do it from your phone
    Dial *139*2015# and follow instructions

I topped up using paypal for my sister at 22:40. Almost an hour ago now and still no sign of it. I know lately it can take up to 30 mins, but this is taking the p*ss a little, assuming it's automated.

• Advertisement

This crowd are dire. Been having trouble ringing or texting certain numbers and some numbers can't contact me. After eventually convincing the person in the call centre that the problem was not with all of my contacts networks, and was in fact with lycamobile, they opened a support ticket. The ticket got nowhere after 2-4 weeks, and the 'support' guy told me that they found no fault, and that I should get a new sim.
    So i got the new sim. Rang them and asked them to transfer the number on Thursday (27th of December). They told me it would take 24 hours.
    Seeing as it was Thursday, I didn't really care, and said yes ok. So they started the transfer process.
    Yesterday (Monday 31st of December) I only had partial service on my old sim, I couldn't make any calls or texts, but I could receive calls. The new sim still only said 'emergency calls only' and when I typed in #132* (or whatever the code is) to check number, it still had the new sim number. So around 4:30pm after having partial service for the whole day, I rang them to see how long it would take. The person I got through to, told me it would take 24 hours (FROM 4:30pm!) to transfer the number. After explaining to her that I had started the transfer last Thursday, she told me that 'yes, she undertood that, but they had no backroom staff on Saturday or Sunday, and it would take 24 hours from now.'
    At that point I said that was unacceptable, it was New Years Eve, and I would like to be able to ring and/or text people today.
    I got nowhere, she said something about talking to her supervisor and put me on hold. She came back with the same spiel. I asked to speak to the supervisor, (at this point I just wanted some clarification of how long the process of having partial service on old sim to full service on either sim would take) (Cancelling the transfer process would also take 24 hours). The supervisor had just gone home, and there is no assistant supervisor.
    So now there was a 'support' call centre, without any supervisors, and staff working that didn't know anything.
    Nothing was sorted.
    Fast forward to today, I now have no service on both sims since I woke up this morning. I have rebooted both sims and the same result.

TL:DR - This crowd are a bunch of amateur useless cretins. Not worth the couple of euro savings, as the service never works properly anyway. Some people see your number as a skype call, sometimes you get randomly disconnected. Many numbers are uncontactable (and vice versa) and the support doesn't exist, you may as well just ring a random kid in India.
    3 to Vodafone, or Eir to 48 etc. Can take 5 minutes to transfer and is hassle free, but these morons can't transfer a number already on their service to another of their sims in 4.5 days, and while attempting it there will be no service.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE AMATEUR IDIOTS.

/Rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Suckit wrote: »
    This crowd are dire. Been having trouble ringing or texting certain numbers and some numbers can't contact me. After eventually convincing the person in the call centre that the problem was not with all of my contacts networks, and was in fact with lycamobile, they opened a support ticket. The ticket got nowhere after 2-4 weeks, and the 'support' guy told me that they found no fault, and that I should get a new sim.
    So i got the new sim. Rang them and asked them to transfer the number on Thursday (27th of December). They told me it would take 24 hours.
    Seeing as it was Thursday, I didn't really care, and said yes ok. So they started the transfer process.
    Yesterday (Monday 31st of December) I only had partial service on my old sim, I couldn't make any calls or texts, but I could receive calls. The new sim still only said 'emergency calls only' and when I typed in #132* (or whatever the code is) to check number, it still had the new sim number. So around 4:30pm after having partial service for the whole day, I rang them to see how long it would take. The person I got through to, told me it would take 24 hours (FROM 4:30pm!) to transfer the number. After explaining to her that I had started the transfer last Thursday, she told me that 'yes, she undertood that, but they had no backroom staff on Saturday or Sunday, and it would take 24 hours from now.'
    At that point I said that was unacceptable, it was New Years Eve, and I would like to be able to ring and/or text people today.
    I got nowhere, she said something about talking to her supervisor and put me on hold. She came back with the same spiel. I asked to speak to the supervisor, (at this point I just wanted some clarification of how long the process of having partial service on old sim to full service on either sim would take) (Cancelling the transfer process would also take 24 hours). The supervisor had just gone home, and there is no assistant supervisor.
    So now there was a 'support' call centre, without any supervisors, and staff working that didn't know anything.
    Nothing was sorted.
    Fast forward to today, I now have no service on both sims since I woke up this morning. I have rebooted both sims and the same result.

TL:DR - This crowd are a bunch of amateur useless cretins. Not worth the couple of euro savings, as the service never works properly anyway. Some people see your number as a skype call, sometimes you get randomly disconnected. Many numbers are uncontactable (and vice versa) and the support doesn't exist, you may as well just ring a random kid in India.
    3 to Vodafone, or Eir to 48 etc. Can take 5 minutes to transfer and is hassle free, but these morons can't transfer a number already on their service to another of their sims in 4.5 days, and while attempting it there will be no service.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE AMATEUR IDIOTS.

/Rant.

Had same experience, couldn't ring certain numbers and certain numbers couldn't ring me. Support were helpful and nice but it was untrustworthy as a service. Plus data speeds were chronic even with full 3g bars.

I've found the speed to increase a bit better in general recently but it's still a bargain basement service with service to match.

if you have a problem I think that it's better to go through facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Lycamobile.Ire/

where you should get a callback on the specific issue and maybe with someone more knowledgeable than their Indian rubbish centre

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

TheDriver wrote: »
    Had same experience, couldn't ring certain numbers and certain numbers couldn't ring me. Support were helpful and nice but it was untrustworthy as a service. Plus data speeds were chronic even with full 3g bars.

Gave them a try and never again. If they can't afford to support the service they provide at the (albeit low) price they charge then they just shouldn't bother or should offer a plan they can afford to support.

There's too much competition at this price point to put up with a network that thinks an offshore call centre empowered to do precisely nothing is sufficient. Eir (good social plan, ****e service), Vodafone (good value now that X is open to all and decentish service from Egypt) and Three (great value for heavy data users in select areas that don't get throttled to virtually nothing and if you don't need help that goes off the script),

My advice to anyone considering moving to Lyca is to run , then run a little faster and then keep running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Stupid Q alert on roaming.

My daughter on €15 Ireland Plus plan is going away to France for a few weeks. Is there any plan where she can ring FROM France to home?

I see the Europe Plus €10 plan has 3gb data, vs 2gb for the Ireland Plus plan so maybe that would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Stupid Q alert on roaming.

My daughter on €15 Ireland Plus plan is going away to France for a few weeks. Is there any plan where she can ring FROM France to home?

I see the Europe Plus €10 plan has 3gb data, vs 2gb for the Ireland Plus plan so maybe that would be better?

Did you look at “student plus”? €15 per month and 6gb of roaming data.

Sorry ignore me it’s the same as Ireland plus!!
    Irelabd plus is 6gb roaming data?

Does that not just mean data though? Wondering could she make actual phone calls from France with either plan?

Could always use WhatsApp voice call using data

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does that not just mean data though? Wondering could she make actual phone calls from France with either plan?

My husband has Ireland plus and travels at least once a month with work and makes calls no problem in the likes of Europe. Further afield we facetime or whatsapp using wifi.

• Advertisement

Great, she should be able to ring us on mobiles so, thanks.

Advertisement