Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2015, 19:27   #151
Deaf git

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatMad View Post
I doubt we will see any , The specific 0.22lr pistol recommendations in the appendix have been withdrawn and there no need to re-instate that as the SI does that.
There are sections on the Restricted/Unrestricted (page 9) and Suitable Firearms (page 23 I think) that are now out of kilter with SI391. I'm surprised it hasn't been updated. It was amended last November and there was no new legislation at the time.
Much has been written on these pages about the complexity of the legislation, guidelines are very useful for all involved.
Advertisement
01-10-2015, 09:05   #152
boc121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf git View Post
I wonder when we will see an amended Commissioner's Guidelines that reflects S391/15?
Could somebody here have a go at a list?
01-10-2015, 11:10   #153
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf git View Post
I'm surprised it hasn't been updated. It was amended last November and there was no new legislation at the time.
But there was yars between updates and it was a different commissioner that wrote the original. So i wouldn't expect a new update to be a priority.
Quote:
Much has been written on these pages about the complexity of the legislation, guidelines are very useful for all involved.
Honestly, i'd like to see the Commissioner's Guidelines done away with. It's only a practical guide to the implementation of the laws, but has caused so much grief as it was used as though it was law with many lads here with problems saying the FO they dealt with directly quoted the guidelines and ignored the law.

IOW the guidelines were used when it suited and ignored when it did not. So they are, imo, a nuisance more than anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boc121 View Post
God no. Why would you want that?

The SI has cleared up the law regarding .22lr pistols. Don't seek to restrict it again by making lists.
01-10-2015, 11:13   #154
Melodeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boc121 View Post
Here be dragons!
01-10-2015, 19:25   #155
Deaf git

Well if not amended to take account of a new SI, then at least take them & bin them. As it stands they are substantively wrong.
Advertisement
01-10-2015, 19:59   #156
Cass

As i said above and dozen of times before they are ONLY guidelines. Whether they are up to date with the law is irrelevant.

They have been the bane of all problems regarding the implementation of the law and other than being scrapped i can see little else could bee done with them. Based on past use of them that is.
Thanks from:
02-10-2015, 17:50   #157
BoatMad

the commissioners guidelines were and are some of the most mis-leading pronouncements on firearms laws in ireland. The confused many people including many firearms officers, into getting the actual law and guidelines mixed up.

They should be discontinued
Thanks from:
02-10-2015, 19:07   #158
boc121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post

God no. Why would you want that?

The SI has cleared up the law regarding .22lr pistols. Don't seek to restrict it again by making lists.
Its not that I want one, I just thought we were getting a new one.
02-10-2015, 19:25   #159
Cass

Any list will only serve to prejudice, disallow or stop the licensing of certain guns for no good reason other than it not being liked. It's what happened before.

With the introduction of this new SI that ability is gone. So it's now back to a legal reason. IOW once you have good reason no gun is out of limits (.22lr ones of course). The way it should be.
Advertisement
02-10-2015, 22:04   #160
Deaf git

Have any of the disputed .22 pistol cases been resolved as a result of the new SI? By resolved I mean licence issued and legalities settled.
02-10-2015, 22:10   #161
Grizzly 45

Monday AM my Super will be getting a call from moi to meet and discuss one of the HC GSG disputed pistols,with the blessing of Mr Egan.. ..Let the game begin.
03-10-2015, 20:49   #162
Zxthinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Any list will only serve to prejudice, disallow or stop the licensing of certain guns for no good reason other than it not being liked. It's what happened before.

With the introduction of this new SI that ability is gone. So it's now back to a legal reason. IOW once you have good reason no gun is out of limits (.22lr ones of course). The way it should be.
Not a gig for all cass
Revolver issue..
I know that it has been mentioned but it's either being dismissed or deemed as irrelevant to the the majority of people but it's relocation to the restricted-list amounts to erosion of our shooting sports.
This issues requires immediate redress, and a large scale campaign to put it right.
I'm not directing this at you only but it's s point that is relevant and needs your support
03-10-2015, 21:08   #163
Cass

I can understand the frustration, but does the new SI not specifically addresses the issue of magazine capacity:
Quote:
firearms which are designed for use with 0.22 inch long rifle rim fire percussion ammunition and use magazines that have been manufactured or modified prior to use so as to accommodate no more than five rounds of ammunition
So the excuse that used to be trotted out about the extra cylinder being plugged as NOT being sufficient should (and i say should as the SI addresses magazine, but in the case of a revolver the cylinder is the mag) be now moot or at the least clarified enough to put up a reasonable defence as to it's legitimacy.

I've spoken to a good few people since the release of the SI and a couple have brought up this issue of us not getting the "6th round". However we were never going to get it. The objective in this whole process was to retain what we had, clarify the some troublesome aspects of how the law was implemented and i think all in all we done that.

Now was not the time to try and change the law or seek to have previous SI's abolished or amended. I'm not saying it should not be done, but at a time when we thought we might loose a lot more the focus was on trying to keep what we had more than get something back. For example if we lost pistols altogether, lost semi auots altogether, and lost or had all semi auto shotguns restricted then what importance would be on whether revolvers could have 6 instead of 5.

It's not capitulation. It's knowing which battles to fight and when. In the next two years, assuming FG get back into power, we're going to be facing into another Act or even a rewrite of all the firearms acts. Between now and then, especially with the reintroduction of the FCP, is the time to address this and other issues.
03-10-2015, 21:31   #164
Sparks

Quote:
This issues requires immediate redress, and a large scale campaign to put it right.
Or a five minute chat in the FCP. Which is far less likely to get people's backs up and cause Yet Another Row with the PTB, and far more likely to have someone say "well, of course that's not what we meant" and this time actually have that passed on down the line.
It's not trivial; but there's an avenue to handle this now in a far faster, more efficient, less sexy, more lasting manner.
Who you should be raising this with is your NGB; not the DoJ or AGS.
Thanks from:
03-10-2015, 21:47   #165
Zxthinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Or a five minute chat in the FCP. Which is far less likely to get people's backs up and cause Yet Another Row with the PTB, and far more likely to have someone say "well, of course that's not what we meant" and this time actually have that passed on down the line.
It's not trivial; but there's an avenue to handle this now in a far faster, more efficient, less sexy, more lasting manner.
Who you should be raising this with is your NGB; not the DoJ or AGS.
I can understand where your coming from but tbh your world or your view of this problem is a little bit too picture perfect!

As of yet we have no FCP so we need to act as if it didn't exist. Obliviously this wAs another simple error but wouldn't it be reassuring if the dept admitted that and we all knew that possible redress was looming on the horizon.
Currently I only see an erosion of our sports.

Are there any revolver shooters out there who are now holdimg a restricted arm?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion