Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air Fryer LIDL 15 June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

LIDL are doing a version of the Philips Airfryer on Monday. €79.99 vs the Philips one for €179 in Currys
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26469

Philips is on special at 109 in Harveys so 30 quid price difference. The one in currys for 179 is a newer version with a digital display which the LIDL one doesnt have

http://www.harveynorman.ie/home-appliances/health/philips-airfryer-black-hd22020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Apologies, still a good deal. The philips also costs £99 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Apologies, still a good deal. The philips also costs £99 on Amazon

apology accepted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A must have in the kitchen imo, use mine every day and saved a fortune for a massive upgrade in the quality of food I eat, a nice piece of meat and some steamed veg in the evenings after running or cycling now instead of the sh1t I used to eat, great investment, hope this one works as well as the Philips for ye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Cheers OP, been wanting to get an air fryer for a while. Can't go wrong with a three year guarantee.

• Advertisement

On sale in the UK today so hopefully get a few reviews of it somewhere...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/silvercrest-hot-air-fryer-49-99-lidl-2220101#comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Could you do a steak in one of these?
    I always fry my steak to a medium rare, I wonder how good one of these would work.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Don't forget to pick up a copy of this week's Sunday Independent or World for a voucher to knock a further tenner off.

Casey78 wrote: »
    I always fry my steak to a medium rare, I wonder how good one of these would work.
    The Philips one is my favourite way to cook steak, heat it up to 200 deg C and give it 10 minutes in there, fat all crispy, meat all moist. Tuck a load of chopped onions in underneath and they'll come out perfectly fried aswell, any onion not protected by the meat will be incinerated but the ones underneath it are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Id say they are only for chips, chicken,sausage,onion rings and the like , i certainly wouldnt be frying a steak in one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Id say they are only for chips, chicken,sausage,onion rings and the like , i certainly wouldnt be frying a steak in one

in before the backlash:)

9koPzI9.png?1

Theres a steak I did earlier in it, a little bit overcooked but Ive perfected it since then. Only the BBQ does steak better in my very amateur opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I did a medium ribeye in my philips and it came out great. I was very wary of doing it in it until I saw good reports online. I especially liked the fat as its more evenly done, as in a pan only the bits touching the pan are done a lot. Rashers are good because of that too.

I would definitely preheat it fully first, which I usually do not bother doing with other stuff.

4-5 minutes to preheat to red hot is another plus for these, you'll be shocked at how fast it cooks when you get it, expect to burn food a bit before you get the hang of reducing cooking times, well its more like you dehydrate it until its a brown lump rather than burnt if you leave it in too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Been considering getting one for a while. Would it fit enough chips veg etc for 3 adults?

Thargor wrote: »
    you'll be shocked at how fast it cooks when you get it,
    The philips one says (after preheating) to cut your cooking times in half on frozen food like nuggets. At first I thought this was just marketing nonsense but its pretty much true.

I put sausages in without preheating and set to 9mins and they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What does fried air taste like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is this the fryer where you only use a spoonful of oil, or do you not put any oil in it at all? Do you buy chips for the Oven or normal frying chips? Im quite fascinated to learn more about this as I just threw my deep fat fryer out as the handle was broken and was a bit dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Is this the fryer where you only use a spoonful of oil, or do you not put any oil in it at all? Do you buy chips for the Oven or normal frying chips? Im quite fascinated to learn more about this as I just threw my deep fat fryer out as the handle was broken and was a bit dangerous.

No oil at all in the fryer itself. If you are doing chips (despite what a previous poster said, you can do far, far more than chips with them), you might want to parboil and/or put a small amount of oil on potatoes for homemade chips. Frozen or oven chips can be thrown straight in.

Is this the fryer where you only use a spoonful of oil, or do you not put any oil in it at all?
    it appears to be a fairly close copy of the philips airfryer. The actifry and maybe others have a place to put oil, this seemingly does not, the philips does not.

I think the word "fryer" is wrong and does them a disservice as the main negative reviews were people saying its not like deep fried chips. Its really a compact & fast heating fan oven, and the fan is faster so it cooks quicker. Think of having a heatgun with a fan control, even though its the same temperateure if air flow is increased it heats faster. You already reduce times in a fan oven, so can reduce even more in this.

I thought 200C was quite low but its definitely enough.

So you would be buying oven chips for it

there is a large thread in the food forum about them
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063796

• Advertisement

Would you fit two average size striplion steaks in them?
    Like say the steaks you get in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I asked this on a previous thread but never got an answer. Anybody know how they compare to halogen ovens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Its not frying though, to fry something it needs to be cooked in oil, this is just fancy bakeing, its the same thing as cooking in a fan oven, dont be fooled it is not frying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I asked this on a previous thread but never got an answer. Anybody know how they compare to halogen ovens?

I think the cooking times might be less in an airfryer as the fan is stronger than a halogens fan but both do effectively the same job AFAIK. Halogens are a fair bit cheaper at around €30-40, they also have the added advantage that you can see all your food clearly through the glass bowl which is dead handy for cooking by sight.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Its not frying though, to fry something it needs to be cooked in oil, this is just fancy bakeing, its the same thing as cooking in a fan oven, dont be fooled it is not frying!!
    You see the thing is though, the food comes out fried, I dont why but the bacon, steak, sausages, pudding, pork chops, chicken etc that Ive done in mine would not come out of the oven the way they come out of this, its identical to pan fried, you have to use one to understand.

Not only that but you get a load of juice left in the drip tray with no oil added so its a lot healthier aswell even though the meat is still lovely and moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think the cooking times might be less in an airfryer as the fan is stronger than a halogens fan but both do effectively the same job AFAIK. Halogens are a fair bit cheaper at around €30-40, they also have the added advantage that you can see all your food clearly through the glass bowl which is dead handy for cooking by sight.

Thanks, I have a halogen oven but while it's fast and capable enough, the food certainly doesn't taste anything like it would out of a conventional fan oven and in the case of chicken, for instance, you would have to baste to get the flavour. Sort of defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I've been thinking about of these for a while too, my problem is with Lidl electricals, I haven't bought anything in years because any i did buy were back with them within a few weeks.
    Has silvercrest improved in the interim, would it make more sense to spend the extra €30 and get the philips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Would you fit two average size striplion steaks in them?
    Like say the steaks you get in Lidl.

You'd struggle to fit two steaks in them unless you really squash them in. I usually only cook one steak between us which I cut in half and it's a perfect fit. We were never steak eaters before but reading about the Lidl/Aldi steaks I thought I'd give it a try. I use the Lidl striploin steak at €3.99 and it comes out perfectly. Take it out of the fridge for about 30 mins, little oil rubbed in with some seasoning and about 4 mins each side. Beautiful!

One steak between us would not be an option!
    I'd eat two steaks on my own!!!

• Advertisement

You'll have to keep an eye out for the XL version of the Philips then but they're not cheap. I can do 3 pork chops at once in mine but thats pushing it, 2 steaks would be a tight fit but doable. Its a singletons fryer :P

Advertisement