Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

Started on Phillipe Auclairs biography of Eric Cantona - excellent read so far.

Finished this recently - supurb book.

Currently reading Stephen King's Full Dark No stars - which is a collection of novellas - quite good although 1st one was bit too long.

Also reading "The Ghost Runner" - by Bill Jones - which is decent but bit too long - fairly obvious it started life as an excellent magazine article

Finally also reading "Fermat's Last theroem" by Simon Singh which is excellent (even for non-mathamaticians like me!) - really good book is ye like any sciency type books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Book two of the wheel of time. slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Has anyone read reamde or whatever you call it, it's sitting on a shelf looking at me (well it's in the next room, but still).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

groovie wrote: »
    Has anyone read reamde or whatever you call it, it's sitting on a shelf looking at me (well it's in the next room, but still).

Havent read it but:
    Writing in the Irish Examiner, Val Nolan called Reamde "one of the smartest, fastest-moving, and most consistently enjoyable novels of the year". It is, Nolan went on, a "painstakingly-researched, deftly-plotted roller-coaster of gigabytes and gunplay, a pitch-perfect pastiche of Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancy-style techno-thrillers and a comment on contemporary digitality and the ubiquity of online interconnectivity."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Only recently finished Doctor Zhivago. It was decent, though it took quite a while to end. The pace was a bit of a problem for me: at some parts it went really slow, at others it flew by.

Currently re-reading American Tabloid by James Ellroy.

It's a really good historical fiction book, puts a whole new spin on the JFK years. Incredibly in-depth, complicated plots and, like other Ellroy books, the ending comes from nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Red April. Just started it but it seems ok so far.

Recently finished The Lock Artist which was fairly enjoyable, and The Sisters Brothers which was also good, if a bit short.

I have Birdsong on the bedside locker. I've been picking up and putting back this book in the shop for ages, so I think its time we eventually tackled each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

RichieC wrote: »
    Havent read it but:

I get the feeling that guy didn't read it either:D, thanks for the quote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Moments by various female Irish authors, so far so good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Hacienda, by Peter Hook

Proper mental :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Collection of short stories by HP Lovecraft. Some are a bit mystifying but others are very good. All are weird :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hitchikers guide to the galaxy trilogy (in four parts). Cant believe I havent read it already, loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

No country for old men.

Terse, gripping, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time #4).

First book was excellent. The second and third were pretty good too. Going well so far in #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

The hare with the Amber eyes.

It's ok so far, has a comfy feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Re-reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Aldebaran wrote: »
    A Clash of Kings, about 100 pages to go.

Got the boxset last month. Started 'A Storm of Swords' yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky

Would definitely recommend it! :-)

A brilliant and very sincere read, you have to really invest yourself totally with a book like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

"The Hand of God" by Jimmy Burns. Good portrait of the darker side of Diego Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Temple of the Dawn - Yukio Mishima, it contains some of the most startlingly beautiful imagery I have ever read and immersive descriptions of historical Thailand and India, another immaculately written book of his Sea of Fertility tetralogy.

The Enneads - Plotinus, a key neo-platonist, with a a most inspirational work proving that philosophy cannot be merely an intellectual pursuit but one of higher action and self-ordering.

"Knowledge, if it does not determine action, is dead to us." (Plotinus)

Withdraw into yourself and look. And if you do not find yourself beautiful yet, act as does the creator of a statue that is to be made beautiful: he cuts away here, he smoothes there, he makes this line lighter, this other purer, until a lovely face has grown upon his work. So do you also... (Plotinus)

God is not external to anyone, but is present with all things, though they are ignorant that he is so. (Plotinus)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

A game of Thrones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

Long Way Round.

Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman.

Great book.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Iron Kingdom
    The Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600-1917

It's like a coffee table book for me at this stage. Such a history nerd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Just finished the great gatsby and now onto finally 'ulysees', wish me luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Atms can't read books. Why even ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Went to a charity shop the other day, favourite place to pick up books! They were all 2 for €1. Got a few Stephen King books that I hadn't read. Currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I'm struggling with it a bit, but I'm over halfway through so I'll persevere. It's won loads of awards so I feel like I SHOULD be enjoying it more than I am :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Ben Hogan - An American Life, halfway through.

and just got The Physics Book, a coffee book about 250 milestones in Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy..

And its bloody awful. Too much time spent describing the smallest of details and not enough story time as such.
    I'll finish it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Am reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Absolutely brilliant. Delighted to see he has 2 new books coming out in 2012, a sequel to The Shining, and another Dark Tower book:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Slattsy wrote: »
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy..

And its bloody awful. Too much time spent describing the smallest of details and not enough story time as such.
    I'll finish it all the same.

It's supposed to conjure a nightmarish mood. I can understand not liking it though. I stopped reading it, too ****ing depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Started to read Armenian Golgotha....a book belonging to the OH. Tough. Put it down but will make an effort again......starting on Page 10 this time!!!:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement