Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shavers - advice needed please!

• 02-08-2005 4:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

After several years of using regular blades, I'm wondering about getting an electric shaver as I'm INCREDIBLY bored with the whole shaving ritual business every day and the cost of gel and razor blades in general. As they're a bit pricey, I'd like to get some advice as to which sort would be the best or wether I should stick with the blades.
    Mainly I need to get some answers to which type are best - the foil type or the ones with three rotating heads.
    Are the ones with gel gimmicky and expensive to refill?
    What are the wet/dry ones like.
    Whats the best brand.
    Do they work out cheaper than blades in the long run?
    Any other helpful stuff appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've been using an electric for donkey's years. I'm currently using a rotating three-blade Philishave and I've been using that for several years now.

To be honest, it doesn't give as close a shave as regular blades do but I don't think any electric will, to be honest. If I'm looking for a really close shave I revert back to blades (Mach 3 - pricey, but damn good) but 90% of the time I just use the electric. Quick and easy, fine for day-to-day use.

Yes, they'll work out a lot cheaper than blades in the long run, especially if you're using expensive ones like Mach 3's or whatever. But always keep a pack of Mach 3's handy for those times when you want a closer shave (if you're going to be with a lady for the night, say! ;):D ). Like I say, for day-to-day shaving, I find an electric to be perfectly fine.

As for what type, well, I've used several over the years but I find the rotating head types much better than the foil types, but that's personal preference I guess. I know somebody who has one of those gel ones but he stop refilling it after a while as he didn't think much of it and just uses it as a regular one now. Wet/dry ones, can't comment on them, never used one. Me, I shave with the electric, wash with cold water to close up the pores again and rub on some Nivia For Men aftershave balm and it does me grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

Thanx for that aidan! Looks like a three head one then. I've heard the foil ones can break open and before you know it, you're in a scene from the texas chain saw massacre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

i use a remington titainium...does the head and the face. very solid for 20-40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thanx for that aidan! Looks like a three head one then. I've heard the foil ones can break open and before you know it, you're in a scene from the texas chain saw massacre.

Yes - exactly that. Have a 3head phili for the last five years ( coming apart at this stage though) but still use blades form time to time. foils break too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Even your standard Bic or Gillette disposable will give you a good shave. You don't have to go for all those fancy disposables or electric ones. I did the fancy disposables for a while, but I've gone back to the ordinary ones. They do just as good a job. The rest are more marketing than any practical difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

foil ones like braun dont last, the foils break after a year. 3 head phillis are very good, just get something with lift and cut or reflex action or the coolskin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

Ok. Three head one for definite. Whats the coolskin one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

afair - it has some nivea shaving lotion builtin to the shaving head

Advertisement