Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2020, 11:19   #1

Men's Shoes for Irish Climate

Hello all,

I hope someone can help - All the shoe's that I get are either too sweaty or the Irish damp / humidity eventually makes them wet.

I actually think most shoes that we buy are designed in countries with completely different climates.

My question is does anyone know of a brand of shoe's designed for our damp climate ?
Now I need to clarify - I am talking about general everyday shoes, in the office, down the town etc.

Thanks,
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2020, 14:35   #2
SozBbz

Um, im not sure if shoes are sold by climate

But reading between the lines, two things stand out to me.

Manmade fibers - if you go for real leather and other (better) materials then they'll be breathable. This goes for all clothes. If you wear something thats fundamentally made of plastic (ahem polyester!) then you're going to sweat. Natural fibers will allow the skin to breathe. You might need to invest here as cheap shoes tend to be plastic. Also, wear socks made from cotton, not cheapo ones! Read the care and composition labels on what you buy, it can be enlightening.

Alternating shoes - I don't think its ever really advisable to wear the same shoes every day, I'd alternate mine most days. You need to give them a chance to breathe between wears. Also, even in winter if we get a nice, bright, dry day, it can be good to leave them outside in the light for a few hours.
Thanks from:
03-01-2020, 14:38   #3
tayto lover

Ecco shoes are quite good.
(3) thanks from:
04-01-2020, 20:40   #4
mr_edge_to_you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
Irish climate shoes.....an unusual request but ECCO Goretex would fit the bill methinks.
(2) thanks from:
04-01-2020, 20:53   #5
dastardly00

I think ShozBbz's suggestion of not wearing the same shoes every day is probably the best tip you'll get. Let them have a chance to 'air' out after use.

I find that buying cheap shoes never works out well.

I tend to wear leather shoes each day to work, but alternate most days. I find Bugatti shoes comfortable and long lasting (for me anyway). But I spend most of the day in an office or the car. I spray the leather with a waterproofing coating every month or so and that seems to work well, although I don't go actively seeking puddles!

Ecco shoes with Gore Tex are great... But I find that Ecco are not exactly up to date with modern styling... So if you're looking for something that would look well with pants/chinos and a shirt then you may struggle

These are nice enough looking though from Ecco:
https://ie.ecco.com/en-IE/product/5637231061/ECCO-TURN
Advertisement
04-01-2020, 20:53   #6
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_edge_to_you View Post
Irish climate shoes.....an unusual request but ECCO Goretex would fit the bill methinks.
Trespass ok,berghaus super
04-01-2020, 20:54   #7
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
Ecco quite weak
04-01-2020, 20:54   #8
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_edge_to_you View Post
Goretex at least the cheaper ones are not breathable enough.
04-01-2020, 20:56   #9
beauf

Leather and natural is the way to go. Just hard to work out what is actually leather these days.
Advertisement
04-01-2020, 20:57   #10
dastardly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Trespass ok,berghaus super
The OP mentioned shoes for wearing in an office environment. What shoes from Berghaus would look decent for the office?
Thanks from:
04-01-2020, 21:04   #11
Vetch

Clarks have some Goretex shoes as well.
(2) thanks from:
04-01-2020, 21:04   #12

Sandals & socks - that's yer only man. I'd wear Ecco sandals all year round. And if anyone tells you you're committing a crime against fashion by wearing socks with sandals, tell them where to go
04-01-2020, 21:27   #13
beauf

One solution is leave a pair in the office.
04-01-2020, 21:48   #14
Ryath

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Ecco quite weak
I've had a few synthetic ones that I've only got a year or so out of but the full leather Eccos are the best I've ever. Have these 3 years now they are still in perfect nick just wax them now and again. I don't baby them walk the dog with them and go on wet grass. Still waterproof. Leather insoles so not sweaty and don't smell. Best arch support in a shoe I've had. I wear orthics in shoes if they don't and get knee pain in a day or two if the shoes aren't supportive enough. Never any issue with my Ecco's. I do switch around and could be wearing other shoes part of the day but these are on my feet at the majority of the time.

Got them them on sale for €80 at the time but I must pick up another pair. I'd happily pay full price for them as they have lasted so well.
Thanks from:
04-01-2020, 21:56   #15
listermint

Has to be crocs

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size