Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rutland Street upper, summerhill

• 23-03-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Anyone give any feedback about this particular Street?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feedback regarding living on? Walking along? Photographic opportunities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Apologies, meant to say to buy/live

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm a Northsider with few qualms about most areas in Dublin but that particular area I wouldn't live in.

On the surface alone there's a massive litter problem that isn't going to be resolved anytime soon. The streets to and from the city are poorly policed with a lot criminal activity and social problems in your face.

The locals there keep it very, very local and like it that way.

If you don't know the area now OP don't bother.

I'm just back from viewing.

Awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Maximus Zealous Salad

I'm just back from viewing.

Awful

So does that mean you're not wanting to live there :)

• Advertisement

So does that mean you're not wanting to live there :)

For such a small Street had everything you would not want to see literally on the door step. Was genuinely lucky to make it out in one piece as the dealers were very suspicious of my presence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Apologies, meant to say to buy/live
    Not for all ze the apple sauce in Glückenschabbel...

As has been said, there's open drug dealing and abuse in the area that is ignored by the authorities, and illegal dumping on the streets on a daily basis. The area is absolutely blighted and there doesn't seem to be much will by either the authorities or residents to sort it out.

You'd do well to avoid anywhere in or around the Summerhill / Ballybough areas, and anywhere bordering Sean McDermott St or Amiens St, with the possible exception of the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aine_49

This is makes me very sad. I was born on Upper Rutland and lived there until I was 3.
    the families who lived there were there since they moved up from the country or were old Dubliners since way back.
    They took care of each other and while the Landlord wasn't great they were lovely old Georgian Houses that have since been destroyed instead of renovated.
    My father was born there too and when I took him down to see it on one of my visits home. We could only get in from Upper Parnell Square area. I was shocked when I drove in and the end of the street if blocked off from Summerhill. We could not get out without me backing up the car and it felt unfriendly and unsafe. The houses that were built now are all two stories and look horrible.
    My father had a stroke and he got very scared.
    I have so many great memories from living on that street even as a young child. My grandparents from both sides lives on it and cousins and great family friends lived near by.
    I would not recommend going there for any reason..................Very sad.
    M. Anne Sammon_Strodder
    Quincy,MA
    USA

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

It's a rough area that is gentrifying rapidly but is pretty much the last area of the city to be getting a bit of investment.

It still has a lot of social problems but has drastically improved and probably would be a good spot to buy an investment property at the moment

600 metres from both a luas stop and a major dart and train station

In my opinion it is the dodgiest area of Dublin city and probably worse than somewhere like Dolphin's Barn or any part of sheriff street

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that Rutland Street Upper was from Summerhill to Charles Street Great, located at what is now Sean O'Casey Avenue. http://bit.ly/2SNdbpk

The original post probably refers to Rutland Street Lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Victor wrote: »
    Note that Rutland Street Upper was from Summerhill to Charles Street Great, located at what is now Sean O'Casey Avenue. http://bit.ly/2SNdbpk

The original post probably refers to Rutland Street Lower.
    Very old map, but a good point.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Not for all ze the apple sauce in Glückenschabbel...

As has been said, there's open drug dealing and abuse in the area that is ignored by the authorities, and illegal dumping on the streets on a daily basis. The area is absolutely blighted and there doesn't seem to be much will by either the authorities or residents to sort it out.

You'd do well to avoid anywhere in or around the Summerhill / Ballybough areas, and anywhere bordering Sean McDermott St or Amiens St, with the possible exception of the IFSC.

I don't fully agree with this.

Summerhill isn't as bad as its been made out to be. Its mainly students and immigrant's living there, and now also there is a large student accom campus there.

The main problems are off into the right of Summerhill (if you are walking away from the city from Parnell street). Sean McDermott street and that general area (Rutland street also) is where the dealing mainly happens and is the area which should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CucaFace wrote: »
    Summerhill isn't as bad as its been made out to be. Its mainly students and immigrant's living there, and now also there is a large student accom campus there.
    Both Summerhill the road and Summerhill the neighbourhood have a core of longterm resients.
    The main problems are off into the right of Summerhill (if you are walking away from the city from Parnell street).
    The lads outside the chipper on Summerhill would regularly get searched by the Garda. They used to use the site of the primary care clinic as a stash. Down towards Gardiner Street, there was dealing regularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

502877.jpg
    Rutland St Upper before Sean O'Casey houses were built. Already past its best, sadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Better days.
    502879.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

roycon111 wrote: »
    It's a rough area that is gentrifying rapidly but is pretty much the last area of the city to be getting a bit of investment.

It still has a lot of social problems but has drastically improved and probably would be a good spot to buy an investment property at the moment

600 metres from both a luas stop and a major dart and train station

In my opinion it is the dodgiest area of Dublin city and probably worse than somewhere like Dolphin's Barn or any part of sheriff street[/QUOTE

worse than any part of Sheriff Street, that'd be a tall order.

There are a few pockets around like Rutland Street, parts of Summerhill, scummy little areas, without PAYE or self employed tax payers for anyone to meet.

Summerhill is not a very nice place, but a million times better than it was in the past.
    I’d still say avoid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

spurious wrote: »
    Better days.
    502879.jpg

Current View today - https://goo.gl/maps/chydhwmoNoyHWfsf9

What year is this?

It's so sad to think they demolished 3 storey over basement grand brick fronted Georgian houses with cast iron railings and street lamps and granite slabbed footpaths and granite steps to put in really poor quality social housing that often didn't even fit the needs of many of the families.

I would say it is from the 1950s or so.

• roycon111 wrote: »
    It's so sad to think they demolished 3 storey over basement grand brick fronted Georgian houses with cast iron railings and street lamps and granite slabbed footpaths and granite steps to put in really poor quality social housing that often didn't even fit the needs of many of the families.
    Not sure I'd agree with any of that, to be honest. Those Georgian houses were run down tenements, rife with damp and mould and crammed full of people, often with one family per room and a shared bathroom.

They demolished the worst of them and built the flats there, named "Matt Talbot Court" after the man himself who used to live in one of the tenement houses. They were built at the beginning of the 1970s and were/are rife with drugs and other anti-social behaviour from the late 70s up to the present day.

The 'new' houses were built later, and were a vast improvement. One family to a house, hot/cold running water and gardens to hang out washing. They were filled with young couples with kids, who all grew up at the same time and there was an explosion of teenagers 10-12 years later. The place got an awful name, though there are a few bad eggs who ruined it for the rest of them, really.

There are even rear gardens / spaces with pigeon lofts and community gardens. Instead it was used as a dumping ground and the place was teeming with vermin (of both the 2- and 4-legged kind). A shame, really, when you see what people can do with the spaces.

As the drugs and crime epidemic of the 1980s and early 90s wore on, a lot of the surrounding areas began to be used as entryways and escape routes. A car used in a robbery / murder (can't remember which, maybe both) was dumped around Healy Street in the late 80s and this led to some of the roads being blocked off. Here and here are two examples. Note the direction of the spikes and the positioning of the anti-climbing razor wire things in both photos.

Anyway, place is a kip. I wouldn't live on Lwr Rutland Street if you paid me, but I wouldn't even walk down Sean O'Casey Ave, never mind live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Better days.
    502879.jpg

Spurious -
    Thanks for posting this. Had a grand aunt who was living in no. 35 in 1933 and it was still her address when she died in 1956. Looking at the image I'd say it was certainly taken in that time frame. She could even be in it........

No. 48 in 1962 was a ladies and gents hairdresser - probably the one with the barber pole on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

No. 48 in 1962 was a ladies and gents hairdresser - probably the one with the barber pole on the right.

Roll on the 1926 census...

BowWow wrote: »

it will be available for public inspection in 2027

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

BowWow wrote: »

it will be available from 2027

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.htmll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Anne - have you googled Rutland Street And National Archives of Ireland - there are some really feisty and great photos online that really give a sense of how it might have been back in the day when your Dad and family lived there.

The whole inner city of Dublin changed dramatically in the 1960 and 1970s when whole communities and families were given the chance for clean air, gardens and a step up in life and moved out to the suburbs . The early 1980’s saw an epidemic of heroin from the flats in those parts of town that laid waste with crime and misery families and whole communities and eventually made them wastelands no-one wanted to be in, or to move into. Hence boarded up flats, crime and terrible outcomes for parents and families. it still suffers but to a lesser extent these days - RTE archives would have tragic stories on the localised and highly profiled AIDS ‘epidemic’ that followed and the annual Christmas Tree that is still put up with a star depicting every person who died from drug related deaths in the area. I always think those that are so easy on drugs and crime and antisocial behaviour should have a long hard look at local histories and how it can utterly decimate communities and ruin what used be a vibrant and close knot part of Dublin. It is still a non go area nowadays despite all their talk of regeneration and millions spent in social supports. I used work not far from there and you saw daily the ruined lives from drugs and a sub culture far from anything it was when you lived there. Your Dad was lucky he took the courage and great chance and left to give you a great new life when he did.

imme wrote: »
    it will be available for public inspection in 2027

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

There was a bit of a campaign to get it released 2021 (with appropriate redactions), which is the anniversary of the year it should have been taken, but I'm not sure it got anywhere.

• Aine_49 wrote: »
    This is makes me very sad. I was born on Upper Rutland and lived there until I was 3.
    the families who lived there were there since they moved up from the country or were old Dubliners since way back.
    They took care of each other and while the Landlord wasn't great they were lovely old Georgian Houses that have since been destroyed instead of renovated.
    My father was born there too and when I took him down to see it on one of my visits home. We could only get in from Upper Parnell Square area. I was shocked when I drove in and the end of the street if blocked off from Summerhill. We could not get out without me backing up the car and it felt unfriendly and unsafe. The houses that were built now are all two stories and look horrible.
    My father had a stroke and he got very scared.
    I have so many great memories from living on that street even as a young child. My grandparents from both sides lives on it and cousins and great family friends lived near by.
    I would not recommend going there for any reason..................Very sad.
    M. Anne Sammon_Strodder
    Quincy,MA
    USA

Dublin City Council recently uploaded a Digital Archive of their photos. It used to be a bit more user friendly to navigate through the photos, but they changed it around a bit recently so it is not as good as it was . You can click here to view all of the photos that are tagged as "Rutland Street", it includes both lower and upper Rutland street though.

Here's number 24, for example (No mention of number 35, unfortunately, BowWow):

GD122%2024%20Rutland%20Street.jpg

You can search the archive for whatever you like by clicking the white box in the top right hand corner and typing your search terms. The Rutland St pics all seem to be from a collection of photos around the Diamond area, for example.

• Not sure I'd agree with any of that, to be honest. Those Georgian houses were run down tenements, rife with damp and mould and crammed full of people, often with one family per room and a shared bathroom. .

Here's that shared bathroom I was talking about. Almost 50 years ago to the day since that was taken, according to the text accompanying it (12th February 1970)

GD124%2027%20Rutland%20Outhouse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OMG - how many would have had to share that!? At least with all that ventilation you wouldn’t have needed air freshner :0

Advertisement