Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where are all the jobs?? (NO CHAT - Read post #481 before posting)

Options
  • 20-07-2010 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hello all, I moved into Dublin city a while back, recently married and living in apartment here. Been out of work for just over a year (I was staying in my wife's country since December, getting married and whatnot) and have been looking franticaly for a job with no joy so far.

I go to FAS but to be honest they've been no help at all to me.

I'm a Dubliner born and reared, mid 20's, I have leaving cert and a few years in retail and also a few other low end jobs such as call centers and labouring for carpenters, general op etc. (lost my last job due to cutbacks in company). Also I dont have a car/license so that rules out a lot of jobs.

as far as I have seen over the past six months on jobs listings these are the jobs that are nearly always available:

Commission based sales , door to door
    Fundraiser (concern probably)
    Multilingual interpreter
    Childcare tutor or some other sort of FETAC tutor
    Care giver/nurse (Live in)

Other then that its all WWP1 or WWP2 jobs, IE: work for free.

I cant afford to do that, as Ive bills to pay and people to feed, (like everyone else) at the moment me and wife are living on my jobseekers payment only, she has masters degree but unfortunately no potential employers she has been to seem to recognise it, as it's a foreign degree.
    Personally I would shovel S*** if it meant I got paid at the end of the week, I really would do anything at this point but I can't see the merit in doing commission based sales work.

Anyone looking for an extremely motivated employee ? :D

So is it just me or is the jobs situation really that bad here in Dublin city?
    Is anyone in same situation?
    Is there any virtue to commission based sales jobs?
    Just looking to discuss this with people in similar situation or maybe there is jobs going and I'm not looking in the right places?
    Any input/ advice from anyone?

Seems really dire situation for people looking for a start here, hope it picks up someday...

(PS: I'm being extremely open an honest here about being on social welfare, and having a foreign wife, so please no smart comments from people who may have issues with people on dole or foreign nationals, thanks ;) )
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭superbad50

yes really is that bad i'm afraid. i am sick to death looking for work. have been out of work just over a year. i have great experience , lots of qualification's etc etc. dosen't seem to be standing for me at the min.

like yourself i have bills , mortgage etc but at what companies are offering quite simply it is not worth my while as i am receiving more from , welfare , interest supplement etc. i have just been offered a place on an honours degree course so i think i will be going back to study. financially anyway it put's me in a better position , which is in itself is disgraceful for this decision to be even an option.

i agree fas are an absolute disgrace. i have done 2 courses with them in the months passed and i can honestly say i feel less intelligent than when i started. the whole setup is just wrong, none of the tasks covered were in anyway related to the job market and the instructors dont even know what courses they cover. i dont know how many times i have received false information

the agencies are just as bad. they post jobs that are not even available. i have seen the same jobs posted for the last 4 or 5 months. i think it is a marketing ploy by the recruiting agencies. I honestly cant see things picking up anytime soon. i dont feel the government have done anything to address the unemployment issues in this country, todate anyway. absolute joke. sorry for being so negative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Try Dunnes or Tesco's..they have a huge turnover of people,not the worst pay in the world either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

I understand your negativity! yes it's a disgrace when an experienced and qualified person is honestly better off on dole then in the jobs that are available. I feel your pain my friend!

I understand that for mortgage payers minimum wage jobs are not a viable option.
    For me however, I am lucky as I'm renting from the corporation, my rent is calculated against my income.
    If I didn't have this I'd be on the streets for sure.
    so minimum wage is a viable option for me, it's finding a min wage job that seems to be the hard part!

I see jobs advertised by employers looking for people with degree's or years of experience, and they are offering min wage! it's absurd!

Degsy wrote: »
    Try Dunnes or Tesco's..they have a huge turnover of people,not the worst pay in the world either.

i certainly will thanks mate, I assume they advertise vacancy's on their own websites as I never see them on FAS.ie or JOBS.ie and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

try this link might save you a bit of time regerding the agencies to avoid, as for the jobs front i know people who have degrees and are still out of work.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

• Advertisement

I've never known someone to be better off after doing a FAS course, as they don't link into the market at all as you say superbad50.

I never thought Id say these words in the same sentence but ...thanks donkey balls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

How frustrating for you. :(
    Are all the call centres gone or something? They were always a handy nixer before.

How frustrating for you. :(
    Are all the call centres gone or something? They were always a handy nixer before.

thats right, east point business park used to be handy for just about anyone looking for a job, but I think 11850/conduit (or whatever they are called nowadays) has relocated to the country somewhere.

despite the fact that I despise sitting in offices, (i like to work hard physically rather then sit and talk) I would work in a call center in an act as its solid, and the pays not min usually. beggars cant be choosers as they say, but the only call centre jobs Ive seen advertised in past few months, were WWP (voluntary/ no pay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any hotel experience?
    When I was in college, I got minimum wage for bar work despite my years of experience.

But you worked up to night porter, maybe 15 euro an hour and I was just a student so did weekends and the summer. So decent money certainly
    It's not a bad job at all, working nights can be tough but you'll get used to it.

If was stuck for a job I'd aim for this.
    They would prefer somebody your age instead of a teenager as night porter.
    As with most things, it's an easy job........until something goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice fellingstressed, Ive not considered hotel work, I do have nearly 2 years kitchen porter experience (my first job) and it was all late shifts, Im no stranger to working at night. I'll look into it, although where to start! they all want the HCCP (or something) dont even know where/how to get that, but maybe just maybe FAS could helpo me on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

It's the HAACP course, I'd say one of the Fás centres do it alright. Basically its a food safety course i.e. storage of food. I'd try to avoid the commission only jobs tbh, could work out at very bad money, depending on what you are doing. You could always try Lidl and Aldi also (through their websites). I'd also check with Fás about getting the ECDL (European Computer Driving License).

People keep saying that to me about the ECDL, I suppose its right although I would be very advanced with PC's already, having owned pc's since pc's became available. i suppose doenst matter how tech savvy I am, its the paperwork they care about.

try gumtree.ie friend of mine got a job within a day of answering an ad.
    The fact is that there are jobs out there..they're not the best paying but you dontgget taxed too heavily either so expect 300-400 a week for maybe 40 hours work,depending on what it is.
    Anything is better than being on the dole...both financially and for your own mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guys, I'm going to make this thread a stickie in the hope it helps any of you guys who are unemployed or are looking at it somewhere down the road.

I think there's a jobs forum somewhere on boards.ie - but dammit this is the Dublin City Forum, and if we can't help our own!.

My view would be to make this thread one where we can help each other, give a heads up on jobs etc.

OP, I genuinely feel sorry for you in your difficult circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thanks a million Degsy, just checking gumtree now. dont mind working for 300-400 a week, as you say anythings better then jobseekers.

And thanks Makikomi, your sentiment is appreciated, although I'm keeping the head up, got that natural Dublin optimism and a beautiful wife :)

and good one on making it a sticky, for Dublin city job advice.

EDIT:

Ok spent past hour or so on gumtree Dublin jobs section, and it's depressing!
    mostly people looking for work, some of them desperately so.
    Alot of spam which is always expected on gumtree.

Begun to apply for job advertised as staff required for Dublin restaurant opening soon,
    Half way through the application it reveals it's in UK not Dublin!

There were some legitimate jobs advertised, but for the enormous amount of posts, only a very small percentage were legitimate, the rest was spam or people looking for work themselves.

Can't say I recommend gumtree for jobs although I will add it to my watch list as it seems to have some legit ads as I said. though you have to wade through tons of spam to find them.

CCCP wrote: »
    I do have nearly 2 years kitchen porter experience (my first job) and it was all late shifts

Oh, I feel your pain, my first job, I lasted 14 months and took abuse most days :(
    And as a pretty quiet lad, in my experience many chefs are bullies and think nothing of roaring at you to show it's "their" kitchen.

There are night porter jobs out there.
    It may be the best paid non-management role out there. I'm not talking head receptionist or duty manager, you are going for a non-management role.

Man forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but what exactly does a night porter do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mostly cleaning, while chamber maids do the rooms and there is usually a kitchen cleaning crew the rest of the public areas in the hotel get done mostly at night by the night porter which includes the function rooms after a do, they also have to do night time room service.

If there is a function on they end up having to deal with drunk people and then drunk residents.

im a complete night owl anyway ,sounds ideal!

• Advertisement

CCCP wrote: »
    Man forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but what exactly does a night porter do??

You run the hotel! You are not a supervisor or have any team to manage but you manage a hotel and hundreds of drunken residents.

On a quiet night it's easy.
    Clean the lobby and the bar.
    Did early morning continental (cereal and toast,tea/coffee) runs for residents who want that.
    Big thing is fire check every hour, you'll get fit from all the walking and up and down stairs every hour.
    That's a quiet night.

On a busy night you take a world of abuse from wedding parties and functions when you won't serve drink at 4am.
    Golden rule"If you serve one person you serve everyone" otherwise you create even more trouble for yourself.

You work for maybe 12 -15euro an hour, ok wage but are responsible for a hotel and over 200 people.
    If a row breaks out and people get hurt, management will blame you and you get to complete an incident report, hurray.Every hotel has a handover book. Ever go to a garda station and the garda lifts out a massive book to write the days notes? Hotels do the very same. Even if you under 10 stone like me and weak as weak can be management expect you to break up rows in the lobby!

Yes, just you on your own with the local garda station on speeddial, residents screaming in your face for more drink at 4am and a lobby and bar to clean, sweep and mop before breakfast shift arrives.

Not a bad job after all :)

Would you work through the night, or just till the wee hours?

would it be like 12-9 am?? what time of day did you normally wake up after getting home to bed? just curios!

Ah no, the morning shift starts at 7am or at least 8am
    Hotel industry is not a 9-5 job

Night porter is out the door by 8am at latest and free breakfast from the chefs.
    Keep the breakfast chef sweet, get on their good side ;)

Shift would never start at 12pm, receptionist leave before then and you are a receptionist primarily. So if you do an interview, dress smart!

10pm-7am or 11pm-8am is typical, no way will you be there at 9am.
    When it is easy, it's extremly easy and you can watch TV most of the night and when it's difficult you are on your own with no backup so be confident and if you cannot eject someone, the gardai will respond immediately to a call from a hotel.

Key tip, go to sleep immediately when you get home.
    It's now the summer, hot days and kids playing outside.
    Trust me, if your neighbours children are loud and play outside, you'll soon develop murderous tendencies and wish them ill ;)
    Can't sleep with window closed as too warm, can't sleep with window open due to noise, solution is window is closed and buy a fan

When I did this full time I did 6 nights a week. Home by 9am as I walked and into bed by 9am and up around 1am. One day out of 7 I'd sleep longer. Seriously, whoever said you need 8 hours sleep needs to reconsider their position. I learned a habit from working hours, even now I sleep 3-4 hours a night.

I assume you mean 10pm - 7 am or 11pm - 8 am (not pm) ;)

I could sleep through world war 3 so that's not too bad, I suppose id be waking at 3 or 4 pm each day after sleeping. You know, i'm really gonna look into this, don't suppose you know any good websites to check for this type of job? or if you need any certification for this job (HAACP for example)
    I'm pretty imposing so wouldn't be worried about breaking up fights.

I'm gonna hit FAS up for a PSA licence also, see if I can get into security, seems to be alot of jobs going there.

And thanks a million for the advise and info

Oops, time corrected

I like www.irishjobs.ie as it's very easy to use.
    If I were you I would not drop my CV in local hotels.
    Dress smart in a suit, go to local hotels and ask for general manager, duty manager will do also.
    And hand your CV confidently and explain what you can do, mention your kitchen porter experience and flexibility. EVERYBODY knows kitchen porter is a tough job and will respect you for that.

You have an advantage.
    Managers don't like trusting a multi million hotel and 200 residents to a 19 year old but I did it. Your age is an advantage.
    Do not phone and ask for a job, you and every sucker on the dole and from Europe does that. Be confident and walk in a suit and impress the general manager.

Turnover in a hotel is huge :eek:
    Do not settle for minimum wage, I'd look for 12-15 euro an hour minimum and I know the times we are in but you run the hotel on your own!

So as this threads a sticky for dublin people looking for work,
    we can add hotel night porter as a potential job to the list of possible jobs for those desperatly seeking work.

It's not a job for people desperatly seeking work, only the best people are top night porters :cool:
    Anyway, Dublin is full of hotels and there are jobs going but dropping in the CV is not enough, must meet the manager and make an impression.

But yes, it's an ideal job for students or people willing to work the hell that is known as night shift *shudder, never again*

Just aheads up folks..was in temple Bar with a friend on monday and quite a few places are looking for Chefs..now i dont know if they want actual chefs or just cooks but its certainly worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's complete nightmare searching for a job when you're only trying to start off in the working world with very little work experience. Nothing in my local area or city centre.

• Advertisement

wow 2 new jobs, not min wage on fas.ie and they require no qualifications!
    applied for both.
    recommend daily checks of FAS.ie for updates.

THIS LINK SHOULD SHOW NEW JOB VACANCY'S IN DUBLIN EACH DAY, AND IT WONT SHOW WPP JOBS:) click to see whats new today, should auto update.

https://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=16939_7&REQUEST=WWW_JS_VAC_SHOWJOBS&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_SELECT.HTM

if any one has a car/clean B licence and looking for work, there is jobs as a windscreen repair tech available regularly, full training given.

Advertisement