Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2016, 00:45   #3076
dee_mc

Very, very similar. Are you tempted by the dresses on ebay or just doing a bit of research before buying from a bricks and mortar shop? So many horror stories of formal wear bought online!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2016, 16:18   #3077

That's a Jenny Packham dress that Kates wearing, I love that style, but if be weary to buy a copy off eBay.
Thanks from:
09-05-2016, 16:30   #3078
SmallTeapot

Yeah, I'd echo the sentiments above....

Recent article on Buzzfeed - https://www.buzzfeed.com/sapna/say-n...vp#.yvyxEX3v9q showed how many customers were misled by cheap knock-off clothing

Now, I'm not saying that will happen in this instance, just best to be wary and read up on the sellers' reviews/feedback.
Thanks from:
09-05-2016, 18:23   #3079
StripedBoxers

Heh I'm not buying the dress unfortunately, just it came up on eBay and I knew I'd seen it somewhere before but wasn't sure where so Googled Kate by chance and it came up.

I would love to get the teal one, its absolutely stunning. One of my favourite dresses she's worn.
09-05-2016, 19:09   #3080
dee_mc

Yeah that was one instance where Kate managed to look elegant AND young - often I feel that her outfits would look more appropriate on a woman of her mother's age. It must be very difficult to dress as a member of the royal family, with the likes of the Daily Mail analysing (and inevitably criticising) every sartorial choice.
Advertisement
18-05-2016, 18:40   #3081
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
For the last few years, my MO when it comes to shopping has been to go to boohoo.com, do a huge haul and send back whatever doesn't fit. Nearly 2 years ago, I moved to Canada, where shipping and sales taxes make it pretty pricey to buy clothes (relatively speaking). Boohoo cover all taxes and shipping charges, so I kept buying from them. But Canada Post is crazy expensive, and the cost of returning a dress is usually greater than the cost of the dress, so I've just ended up donating all the dresses that don't fit.

After my last 'haul', I was hit by a wave of absolute disgust at myself. I spent all of this money on sh*tty quality dresses, at least 30% of which don't fit. I get a season or two out of wearing them, and then I throw them out. Even if I love a dress, and get loads of compliments on it, it will only last so long before it shrinks/washes out/ goes out of style/ I get sick of it.

Last month, I saw a gorgeous DVF dress at an outlet mall. It was outrageously expensive, even at a significant discount. I knew it would look great on me, but I walked away without even trying it on. But the more I'm thinking about it, the more I realise that that dress was made from top-quality materials. It would last for years, and it would look far better than many of the "it just about fits okay" dresses that I currently have in my wardrobe. The cost-per-wear would likely be quite low in the end!

Anyway, long story short, I think I'm finally at the point in my life where I'm ready to start spending money on decent quality pieces that cost more, but last longer and fit better. I probably still can't pay DVF prices (!), but can anyone point me in the direction of some better quality stores that I should look at?
(5) thanks from:
19-05-2016, 08:28   #3082
jokettle

Faith, since you're in Canada, would you consider posting for advice on reddit? I've asked questions there when I've visited north America and Canada in the past, since the users are mostly from those regions. They might have some more specific advice on shops that are accessible to you. Reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice is where I've gone in the past
Thanks from:
19-05-2016, 16:26   #3083
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Good suggestion, Jo, thanks! I'm moving back in a couple of months, though, so it's good to know the Irish/UK brands too
Thanks from:
19-05-2016, 17:23   #3084
jokettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
Good suggestion, Jo, thanks! I'm moving back in a couple of months, though, so it's good to know the Irish/UK brands too
Ooh yay! That's great

I've just gotten a job offer for something I've been after for a while, and since I'm now going to have a "proper grown up" job, I'm in much the same position. I want to spend more and have a good quality, smaller wardrobe that's work appropriate but probably also something I could wear out/on weekends.

I plan on checking out Cos, maybe Reiss, and definitely Warehouse, Zara and Oasis. I know that last 3 aren't the most high-end, but they'd be more within my budget and have some good basic pieces.

Maybe checking out Kildare Village might be an idea as well? I have a lovely silk skirt from Karen Millen I bought there a few years ago. Ooh, and Ted Baker too! They have some lovely stuff.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-05-2016, 10:24   #3085
sammyjo90

I love coast for dressy dresses. and I'm not one for donning a dress at all! bought this one in debenhams the other week for 110 i think and it feels lovely and looks good on.(not petite but couldn't find the link)
Thanks from:
21-05-2016, 14:04   #3086
Sunny Dayz

Quick q - does anyone know if there is a minimum spend to get free delivery when buying from River Island online?
21-05-2016, 19:18   #3087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Dayz View Post
Quick q - does anyone know if there is a minimum spend to get free delivery when buying from River Island online?
Theres a 20% discount code I used earlier in the week SS16XIE, don't now if it's still working
Thanks from:
21-05-2016, 22:27   #3088
Sunny Dayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagnePop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Dayz View Post
Theres a 20% discount code I used earlier in the week SS16XIE, don't now if it's still working
Sweet!! Yes it works, saved 15 and got free delivery too! Thanks a mill Champagne Pop!
28-05-2016, 23:36   #3089
StripedBoxers

Does anyone here use Depop? I started using it recently and have "liked" a few items and within a few hours I have a private message from the seller asking me am I interested in buying the item. Its starting drive me mad and its putting me off using it.

I haven't commented, bought etc yet so I don't know why these sellers think its okay to message me asking if I want to buy, I mean, surely if I wanted to buy I would either comment, or click the buy button?!

Its starting to really put me off.
29-05-2016, 00:17   #3090
dee_mc

I haven't used it but I'm wondering why you would click like if you're not interested in buying?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion