Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2008, 01:39   #31
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Devitt View Post
Hopefully I will get some Bulmers..
Pretty sure it goes by the name Magners there.
Advertisement
09-10-2008, 09:14   #32
Ste.phen

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post
Pretty sure it goes by the name Magners there.
I thought i saw it advertised on UK TV recently as Bulmers?
(Yes, i know it's always been Magners, but for some reason i thought that was changing)
09-10-2008, 09:20   #33
smashey
Administrator

Admin: GAA Mods, GAA, ZTest
A local paper in Donegal did a bit of research recently and bought the same items in Tesco Letterkenny and Tesco Derry. Even with paying for the items with euro in Derry, they still saved about 25%.
09-10-2008, 09:43   #34
Moonbeam

Bulmers does exist in the UK but is not the same as Bulmers here.
Magners in the UK is what we know as Bulmers here.
The brand name was already taken over there.
09-10-2008, 10:10   #35
muffler

Yes Bulmers is available in N.I.

Just bought 8 x 1 pint bottles last week in Asda for £9 which would work out about €11.40. Dont know if it was much of a bargain or not but was just starting the Xmas shopping a bit early.

Last edited by muffler; 09-10-2008 at 21:22. Reason: inserting correct price
Advertisement
09-10-2008, 10:14   #36
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashey View Post
A local paper in Donegal did a bit of research recently and bought the same items in Tesco Letterkenny and Tesco Derry. Even with paying for the items with euro in Derry, they still saved about 25%.
There was an RTE show about this recently apparently. It was one of those early afternoon programs. Anyhow they bought so many items in Tescos and Dunnes in Dublin (Tescos were cheaper) and then went to Asda in Strabane where they bought the same items and with paying in Euro it was over €6 cheaper again. The only problem is that I cant recall what the cost of the shopping was in Dublin so cant express the savings as a percentage.
09-10-2008, 10:59   #37

Does anyone know what rate Sainsburys are giving to the euro at the moment ?...might take a trip up to Sprucefields soon if its worth it

Thanks
09-10-2008, 11:40   #38

Hi I was up the north with my Husband last week and we bought loads of Stuff in Dunnes . We got Napppies for about half the price they were in Dunnes here in Navan and the same with Baby Milk it came in about €8 campared to €14 here. Mad savings we are going to go every 2nd or 3rd weekend from now on.
09-10-2008, 12:57   #39
devil-80

But Bulmers in NI is cider (original and peach taste).
Advertisement
09-10-2008, 15:55   #40
Turbulent Bill

Is it worth shopping in the North on a regular basis if you don't live near the border? I can understand if you're travelling there anyway, or have a huge amount to buy, but for a weekly shop even a 25% discount mightn't be enough where you factor in travel costs, time spent getting there and sitting in queues etc.
09-10-2008, 17:03   #41
anotherlostie

I have been to ASDA in Enniskillen a couple of time lately, and while there is no hassle getting parked, getting round the store is a different story. The aisles are packed very tightly, and the queues at checkouts are horrendous - a 30 minute wait can be expected. Furthermore because there is a jam at the checkouts, it is almost impossible to push a trolley round past the people in the queue. Now I've never shopped in Sainsburys on a Saturday, so I can't say if it is as bad there!

As regards the produce, ASDA is definitely cheaper than down South, but I find there is a much more limited range of stock than in Sainsburys, and personally I would prefer to pay the extra bit for the wider range (but still save) in Sainsbury.
09-10-2008, 17:12   #42
josh59

Send a message via Skype™ to josh59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlostie View Post
I have been to ASDA in Enniskillen a couple of time lately, and while there is no hassle getting parked, getting round the store is a different story. The aisles are packed very tightly, and the queues at checkouts are horrendous - a 30 minute wait can be expected. Furthermore because there is a jam at the checkouts, it is almost impossible to push a trolley round past the people in the queue. Now I've never shopped in Sainsburys on a Saturday, so I can't say if it is as bad there!

As regards the produce, ASDA is definitely cheaper than down South, but I find there is a much more limited range of stock than in Sainsburys, and personally I would prefer to pay the extra bit for the wider range (but still save) in Sainsbury.
Having shopped in Asda in the UK a few times (last time on our way back from our hols in Wales) I must say that their grub is very nice - fruit juices especially and their meat and bakery products were'nt at all bad for a supermarket. Problem I always find any time shopping in the North or whatever is that you tend to buy different things to normal so it's often hard to compare. I think in Asda the last time we spent £100 but that included chocolates and other stuff for pressies for people who had been looking after the house while we were away.
09-10-2008, 17:57   #43
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulent Bill View Post
Is it worth shopping in the North on a regular basis if you don't live near the border? I can understand if you're travelling there anyway, or have a huge amount to buy, but for a weekly shop even a 25% discount mightn't be enough where you factor in travel costs, time spent getting there and sitting in queues etc.
Thats a fair point. The savings could be nearly wiped out with the added cost of travel not to mention the time. But a trip maybe once a month and get lots of items would still be worthwhile IMO
09-10-2008, 18:13   #44
CombatCow

Going on Monday morning to Newry, Sainsburys. anyone know how it generally is that day of the week ?

Thanks
CC
09-10-2008, 18:29   #45
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Newry has Lidl, too. Some stuff is dearer (bread for one), but a lot of things are cheaper.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion