Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-10-2016, 13:46   #3781
robyntmorton
Registered User
 
robyntmorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
Never knew they had opened a Tesco in Newry, had a search, it's located here, I presume 24 hour opening doesn't apply to alcohol sales...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.18287...7i13312!8i6656

http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=5031
It's a nice one in Newry. Massive car park underneath, and yes, alcohol sales are licenced hours only.
robyntmorton is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-10-2016, 00:12   #3782
Drucilla07
Registered User
 
Drucilla07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 23
Hi guys I'm travelling to Belfast for the first time ever with my husband and new baby. We are looking to get some bargains for the baby and for Christmas - any suggestions gratefully appreciated . I've looked up waterwipes and they are the same if not more expensive . Anyone know of anything in particular we should stock up on ?
Thanks
Drucilla07 is offline  
31-10-2016, 01:30   #3783
Atlantic Dawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucilla07 View Post
Hi guys I'm travelling to Belfast for the first time ever with my husband and new baby. We are looking to get some bargains for the baby and for Christmas - any suggestions gratefully appreciated . I've looked up waterwipes and they are the same if not more expensive . Anyone know of anything in particular we should stock up on ?
Thanks
Not for the baby but alcohol, in particular spirits and wine.
Atlantic Dawn is online now  
Thanks from:
01-11-2016, 19:50   #3784
liamo22
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyntmorton View Post

The Quays are currently building in the car park, so a lot of the spaces are shut down.
What are they actually doing to the car park does anyone know. Its been like that for ages!
liamo22 is offline  
01-11-2016, 20:00   #3785
Spanish Eyes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,628
Just wait, there will be plenty of booze bargains in the run up to Christmas down South now.

Just this weekend I got a 70cl bottle of Martell cognac for E29 in Supervalu. It's usually E35/6
Spanish Eyes is offline  
Advertisement
01-11-2016, 20:05   #3786
bladespin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes
Just wait, there will be plenty of booze bargains in the run up to Christmas down South now.
The duty alone will mean NI will always undercut prices on alcohol here. Most other things there's very little in it.
bladespin is offline  
01-11-2016, 20:27   #3787
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladespin View Post
The duty alone will mean NI will always undercut prices on alcohol here. Most other things there's very little in it.
There is not much difference in duty anymore.
L1011 is offline  
01-11-2016, 21:37   #3788
Cortina_MK_IV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamo22 View Post
What are they actually doing to the car park does anyone know. Its been like that for ages!
£20M Expansion. I think it was put on hold for a while but it's back on again.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2...hopping-boost/
Cortina_MK_IV is offline  
Thanks from:
01-11-2016, 22:10   #3789
Atlantic Dawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortina_MK_IV View Post
£20M Expansion. I think it was put on hold for a while but it's back on again.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2...hopping-boost/
Hopefully a multistory car park is part of the plans, otherwise it will become a complete nightmare with those spaces gone.
Atlantic Dawn is online now  
Advertisement
01-11-2016, 22:12   #3790
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 547
Unless you live within a reasonable distance of the occupied 6 counties, you are wasting time (and fuel) going up there. The savings are negligible, you'd have to be buying some amount to make any sort of significant saving - even with the pound approaching parity with the Euro.
Commotion Ocean is offline  
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2016, 22:16   #3791
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,989
Ad on tv just now. £20 for 2 btls of spirits, presume they're 750ml. Equates to €22.30 on Revolut. Thats a saving.
Donal55 is offline  
01-11-2016, 22:32   #3792
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeo View Post
Unless you live within a reasonable distance of the occupied 6 counties, you are wasting time (and fuel) going up there. The savings are negligible, you'd have to be buying some amount to make any sort of significant saving - even with the pound approaching parity with the Euro.
Was looking at Canon Eos 6d with lens.
£1600 stg equates to €1770.
€2200.00 down here for same package.
Donal55 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-11-2016, 23:19   #3793
bladespin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,547
Crates of beer for £11, same here for €25(promotional price), I put it down to duty but maybe it's something else, wine is even cheaper for the ewuivalent, the savings are huge.
bladespin is offline  
(3) thanks from:
02-11-2016, 09:22   #3794
PlentyOhToole
Registered User
 
PlentyOhToole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeo View Post
Unless you live within a reasonable distance of the occupied 6 counties, you are wasting time (and fuel) going up there. The savings are negligible, you'd have to be buying some amount to make any sort of significant saving - even with the pound approaching parity with the Euro.
There's plenty of savings in NI now with STG/EURO rate- if you're prepared to spend the time getting there.
PlentyOhToole is offline  
02-11-2016, 09:25   #3795
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladespin View Post
Crates of beer for £11, same here for €25(promotional price), I put it down to duty but maybe it's something else, wine is even cheaper for the ewuivalent, the savings are huge.
Distributor margins are the biggest difference for beer and wine; also supply chain price increases that will hit the UK haven't yet.

The UK marginally cut beer duty (very, very marginally) in recent years as a populist measure - had all the Tory supporting tabloids raving about how much it'd save their normal alcoholic readers; but its still very close to ours and was higher before sterling slumped. On >7.5% beer ours is lower.

Spirits duty is noticeably lower but that's it. The rest were near identical or higher before Sterling slumped.
L1011 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet