Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2020, 16:41   #496
Augme

Unless you can eat then quickly or nearby I can't imagine Bunsen burgers are going to be nice if they are left sitting in a delivery bag for 20 minutes.
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 16:46   #497
Bandana boy

^^^^
This
Burgers never travel well and chips are if anything even worse .

I suspect we are going to have to start making our own burgers for the next while.

Where could you buy a good reasonably priced mincer
25-03-2020, 17:41   #498
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana boy View Post
Where could you buy a good reasonably priced mincer
If you don't want to fork out for another gadget that may take up space and get little use then you can just cut up meat finely yourself.

I do this with chicken fillets to make chicken burgers and they come out great, the chicken is already tender enough that you do not have to cut overly fine so its quick enough. If you just stick a fillet in a bun it is very uneven to eat, I like a good uniform burger and mix spices throughout.

I have not done it with beef but will now that I have time on my hands!
25-03-2020, 17:53   #499
The Nal

The Tesco 18% fat mince is fine. Bit of oyster sauce for salt and you're sorted.
25-03-2020, 22:04   #500
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
If you don't want to fork out for another gadget that may take up space and get little use then you can just cut up meat finely yourself.

I do this with chicken fillets to make chicken burgers and they come out great, the chicken is already tender enough that you do not have to cut overly fine so its quick enough. If you just stick a fillet in a bun it is very uneven to eat, I like a good uniform burger and mix spices throughout.

I have not done it with beef but will now that I have time on my hands!
What spices do you use in a chicken burger? Any binder needed?
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 12:55   #501
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
What spices do you use in a chicken burger? Any binder needed?
sorry missed this. I use garlic granules, salt & pepper, "italian herbs" mix, and maybe paprika or chilli.

I have used potato starch to bind before but do not bother now. I have metal plates I use to put the meat on and squish together, I then turn it upside down and it stays stuck and place it on the pan. I do not touch it at all, the steam escaping cooks the top a bit and it seems to bind fine all on its own. If you were messing about with it then I expect it might fall apart. Tin foil could be used instead of the plate, or that thicker foil trays you get with meat or with rice from a takeaway.

Flipping is the trickier part. I sometimes use a spatula, lift the burger and turn the actual pan upside down or vertical and gently place the burger against it. If flipped like a regular burger it might break, but usually in 2 or 3 bits so no big deal, just stick it in the bun, some takeaways would have 3 bits of separate chicken in burgers anyway.

Last edited by rubadub; 31-03-2020 at 17:41.
(2) thanks from:
31-03-2020, 16:03   #502
LFC Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara View Post
BuJo burger out in Sandymount is my current favourite. Really really good.

Bujo doing home delivery kits. No financial connection to the place just a shout out on their behalf

https://bujo.ie/home.html
(3) thanks from:
31-03-2020, 19:12   #503
humberklog

God I miss burgers*.

*And don't be a smarty pants and say I can go hunt a cow, render it down, rest the meat it in a cedar smoke house for 21 days, ground the beef and mix it with ciabatta crumbs, salt from the plains of Peru and pepper from a Zoroastrian tribe.

A burger. Cooked and served to me. I miss it.
31-03-2020, 19:19   #504
Naked Lepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augme View Post
Unless you can eat then quickly or nearby I can't imagine Bunsen burgers are going to be nice if they are left sitting in a delivery bag for 20 minutes.
ordered a bunsen the other night, it was delicious

chips not so great but burger was lovely
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 19:23   #505
salmocab

Anywhere around Camden street that will be doing take away burgers Saturday afternoon ? I’ll be in work nearby and undoubtedly very hungry
31-03-2020, 19:32   #506
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
Anywhere around Camden street that will be doing take away burgers Saturday afternoon ? I’ll be in work nearby and undoubtedly very hungry
Bunsen on Wexford Street.
31-03-2020, 19:38   #507
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
Bunsen on Wexford Street.
Cheers, close by me. Do I need to ring ahead or anything or just drop in order and loiter outside?
31-03-2020, 20:20   #508
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
Cheers, close by me. Do I need to ring ahead or anything or just drop in order and loiter outside?
I haven't ordered from that location to be honest but give them a bell first, just to be safe. They are definitely doing collection though according to their social media.
31-03-2020, 20:22   #509
Twee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
God I miss burgers*.

*And don't be a smarty pants and say I can go hunt a cow, render it down, rest the meat it in a cedar smoke house for 21 days, ground the beef and mix it with ciabatta crumbs, salt from the plains of Peru and pepper from a Zoroastrian tribe.

A burger. Cooked and served to me. I miss it.
Can't bate something hot and handed to you, preferably with a beer If I have to wash one more dish...

Bunsen is definitely on my post-isolation hit list! Homemade burgers are nice, but they're just not the same.
Thanks from:
31-03-2020, 20:27   #510
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
I haven't ordered from that location to be honest but give them a bell first, just to be safe. They are definitely doing collection though according to their social media.
Cheers I’ll do that.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion