Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2020, 14:33   #286
Lord TSC

Are the Seanad elections soon?

Got a "newsletter" out from Ronan Mullens the other day, but threw it straight in the bin without reading too much of it. Would explain though why he's starting to send stuff round when he usually doesn't bother.
Advertisement
20-02-2020, 15:04   #287
jamule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord TSC View Post
Are the Seanad elections soon?

Got a "newsletter" out from Ronan Mullens the other day, but threw it straight in the bin without reading too much of it. Would explain though why he's starting to send stuff round when he usually doesn't bother.
can't wait to get mine, need a good laugh. Whats his slogan these days, 'no to abortion, yes to paedos'
20-02-2020, 15:11   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
You don’t have a vote for Seanad Eireann unless you’re a graduate of certain universities.

Under Article 18 of the Constitution, Seanad Éireann consists of 60 senators, composed as follows:

Eleven nominated by the Taoiseach.
Six elected by the graduates of certain Irish universities:
Three by graduates of the University of Dublin.
Three by graduates of the National University of Ireland.
43 elected from five special panels of nominees (known as vocational panels) by an electorate consisting of TDs (members of Dáil Éireann), outgoing senators and members of city and county councils. Nomination is restrictive for the panel seats with only Oireachtas members and designated nominating bodies entitled to nominate. Each of the five panels consists, in theory, of individuals possessing special knowledge of, or experience in, one of five specific fields. In practice the nominees are party members, often, though not always, failed or aspiring Dáil candidates:
Seven seats on the Administrative Panel: Public administration and social services (including the voluntary sector).
Eleven seats on the Agricultural Panel: Agriculture and the fisheries.
Five seats on the Cultural and Educational Panel: Education, the arts, the Irish language and Irish culture and literature.
Nine seats on the Industrial and Commercial Panel: Industry and commerce (including engineering and architecture).
Eleven seats on the Labour Panel: Labour (organised or otherwise).
The general election for the Seanad must occur not later than 90 days after the dissolution of Dáil Éireann.
I’m well aware of what I had to do to get to vote for the Seanad
20-02-2020, 15:15   #289
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
I still can't figure out how the media luvies managed to fool the people into keeping the Seanad.

What a waste of money and an affront to democracy.
There was lots of focus on the former but not a lot on the latter, nor did we see any evidence of what we would get instead. Ball was dropped by the government, Bruton in this case, by pushing the waste of money only.
21-02-2020, 10:04   #290
Pighead
sucks at stalking

Slightly off topic but it seems Kevin Meenan is making a return to Louth County Council to take up the seat vacated by recently elected TD Ruairi O'Mhurchu. (Ruairí originally became a councillor when he replaced Kevin Meenan who stepped away in 2017.)
Advertisement
21-02-2020, 23:04   #291
10green bottles

Send a message via ICQ to 10green bottles Send a message via AIM to 10green bottles Send a message via Yahoo to 10green bottles
No surprise really but a very welcome one.(i would say that as he's a personal friend of mine)
Kevin originally stepped aside in 2017 due to a health issue.Thankfully he has now overcome his illness.A really great lad and an outstanding rep for his area based prime in Muirhevnamor,Dundalk he is well respected across all political divides for the work he does in his local community.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion