Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big companies do you think will not still be here in a decade 's time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Why would you buy German, no engineer but aren't electric vehicles actually simpler than ICE vehicles in terms of engineering.
    My bet is German car manufacturing will be a shadow of itself in a decade and you will be buying a car made in Asia somewhere that's running US designed software.

See that being said a lot but in reality you still have all the ancillaries that give issues, all you are saving on is a few litres of oil and a couple of filters, still has a normal charging system for lights , wipers etc ,brakes steering suspension all remain, bit more weight lugging batteries around so likely cost more on brakes and suspension,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think print based advertising platforms such as the likes of JC Decuax are going to have problems long term. Businesses that want to run ad campaigns, are going to want a higher hit rate with their target audience and that's more likely via digital means.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah Boeing should have been bankrupt at least a couple of times by now but the US government will always come in with a bailout cheque as they're strategically important to US military interests, its not just passenger airlines they make. Even if it was the US govt is not going to let Boeing fail as it would mean huge transfers of wealth to the EU to buy planes from Airbus.

Interesting call on Sky and yeah I can see Amazon really gnawing away at them in the next decade. Amazon have already dipped their toes into English Premier League and I can see more of the same coming down the line as Amazon pushes for new ways to sell more subs onto Prime. They have much deeper pockets than Sky when it comes to bidding for the rights. They might also offer packages so people can watch the sport they want at a reasonable price rather than Skys 40 quid a month to pay for loads of stuff you dont want.

Both Amazon and Musk are putting thousands of satellites in space to cover the globe in internet, if that eventually gets fast and cheap enough then all the main broadband companies could find themselves in trouble, at least in rural areas anyway.

I'd say it's more likely Amazon are interested in selling Sky an alternative platform to broadcast through, as opposed to ultimately competing against them as a broadcaster. That's why they've been getting into sports broadcasting, it's more of a "Proof of Concept," that streaming can provide high quality broadcasting, while the cloud services are scalable to meet demand. It means, satellite based services aren't going to be where the high quality is longterm. Amazon are able to go from SD / HD / HDR / 4K, with minimal device changes for the user. Where as Sattelite systems, would require quite a bit of work and equipment.

My thinking on this is because Amazon are more interested in being a supply chain system, not the product owner.

They only produce media content, to encourage people to subscribe to Prime Video, who'll then watch other content on the service, or sub to additional services provided through it. Like with Discovery Channel. They encourage Prime users for Delivery and regular deals, so they can attract Vendors to sell through their platform and have access to a target audience for their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All the companies who do Internet of Shíte Things

It's a security disaster waiting to happen. All that home automation kit is well dodgy. .

A neighbour recently put one of those pin code keypads to open his front door. As to why I dont know as turning a key in a lock is hardly the most inconvenient task. That aside I was thinking that if criminals have figured out a way to skim pin numbers from ATMs (which are beating a banks very expensive and well resourced security systems) then house burglars will be soon be buying similar skimming devices off the dark web and literally walking into peoples houses without actually having to break in.
    da_miser wrote: »
    Supervalu

Musgrave Group who own them are huge ,they will still be around but Supervalu cannot compete with Lidl/Aldi and are clearly struggling if you just base it off what you can see with your own eyes, shops are no where near as busy as other Supermarkets

LIdl/Aldi are still in expansion mode, each have a further 100 odd stores planned. Its a slow process because they are finding it difficult to find suitable sites and even when they do the other supermarkets object to the planning permission as a way of slowing them down. One of their targets is rural towns where Supervalue is the only option. When their full expansion is finally complete Supervalues market share will recede. They will still survive but will have to compete more on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

kowloon wrote: »
    Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?

Dell is Regeneron AFAIK. Going to save us all from Covid!:D

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/regeneron-limerick-niall-oleary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

A neighbour recently put one of those pin code keypads to open his front door. As to why I dont know as turning a key in a lock is hardly the most inconvenient task. That aside I was thinking that if criminals have figured out a way to skim pin numbers from ATMs (which are beating a banks very expensive and well resourced security systems) then house burglars will be soon be buying similar skimming devices off the dark web and literally walking into peoples houses without actually having to break in.

That's where the IOT machine guns come in

• Advertisement

Siemens

Their ATM reputation does them no favours.

They obviously don't care at all about the low mean time between failure of the aging BOI AIB bank machines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ipso wrote: »
    Vanderlay industries
    Yes, latex production has fallen off a cliff lately, I heard old Art Vanderlay is hitting the sauce pretty hard. A bottle of Hennigans a day so I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I notice Elon Musk's stock falling a bit- More people sort of realizing he's a complete benny. A lot of Tesla's hype is the cult of the CEO. Tesla revolutionized people's perception of the electric car but it might go either way.

They'd be more successful if he stayed in the background. He's not stable CEO material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't think so.

Tesla did quite a few things first, but it didn't do them with great quality. Now that Mercedes, Volkswagen Group, BMW, Ford, Toyota, PSA Opel, Jaguar Land Rover, Volvo-Polestar and others are producing PHEVs and Hybrids, they are doing it better and more efficiently.

Tesla cars are badly built and because they lose almost a billion euro a year, every year, their ability to invest in replacements for their Gen 1 models is limited and those cars, especially the Model S and Model X, are dating fast and don't offer the quality and luxury of a Mercedes EQ model or the newly launched Polestar 2, which absolutely spanks the Model 3 on all fronts.

Personally I think they'll end up being acquired by General Motors as a survival move.

Tesla has over 95% of the world's autonomous driving data.

I think a few car manufacturers will collapse in 5 to 10 years, and also car parts supply chain manufacturers.

EVs will be cheaper upfront than ICE cars within 5 years and 10% of cost to run. Nobody will pay more for an inferior product.

Apparently car manufacturers make most of their profit from parts and EVs need far less repairs and last longer.

Also, if and it's a big IF, autonomous driving becomes mainstream, then it's game over for lots of car companies and lots of people won't even bother buying cars. This is possible within 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

topper75 wrote: »
    Dell is Regeneron AFAIK. Going to save us all from Covid!:D

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/regeneron-limerick-niall-oleary

I thought Dell was nationalised? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

xieann wrote: »
    Siemens

They obviously don't care at all about the low mean time between failure of the aging BOI AIB bank machines etc.

If the ATMs are aging it is because the banks haven’t been replaced them. Not Siemens fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think print based advertising platforms such as the likes of JC Decuax are going to have problems long term. Businesses that want to run ad campaigns, are going to want a higher hit rate with their target audience and that's more likely via digital means.

Quite a bit of research done on this. For big brands like Coca Cola or P&G products, good old fashioned out of home advertising like bus stops and billboards as well as TV spots are better value for money, and generate more consumer purchases. Well crafted and targeted digital advertising has its role, but it's not half as effective as you'd presume. A lot of advertising budget has moved back to traditional over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Siemens

Siemens haven't made ATMs for about 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yurt! wrote: »
    Quite a bit of research done on this. For big brands like Coca Cola or P&G products, good old fashioned out of home advertising like bus stops and billboards as well as TV spots are better value for money, and generate more consumer purchases. Well crafted and targeted digital advertising has its role, but it's not half as effective as you'd presume. A lot of advertising budget has moved back to traditional over the past few years.

Id say you are on to something. Online advertising tends to annoy people, the advertiser is often stuck paying per click and the clicks generated could be by someone in India who will never even be able to buy your product

They say that half of all money spent on advertising is wasted money but the trick is to know which half

They say that half of all money spent on advertising is wasted money but the trick is to know which half

I used to work for a fella and about 99% of what he spent on advertising was wasted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A neighbour recently put one of those pin code keypads to open his front door.
    Wait a few months.

Then see which keys are clean. Cleanest one is the first digit.
    If two of the digits are 1,9 or 2,0 then it's probably a date and you'll only need two tries to open it.

Or lookup the lock on the interwebs most of them have shockingly poor security.

Wait a few months.

Then see which keys are clean. Cleanest one is the first digit.
    If two of the digits are 1,9 or 2,0 then it's probably a date and you'll only need two tries to open it.

Or lookup the lock on the interwebs most of them have shockingly poor security.

I think security by obscurity is the way to go here. 4 buttons tucked in under a drain pipe that you tap in a secret code in without anyone knowing. The fancy schmancy AI cloud connected doorbell could be a complete red herring and you actually open the door by standing on a stone slab with a few load cells underneath to make sure you are the correct weight. Or perhaps a good old fashioned loaded crossbow tied to the door by a string while you make sure to always use the backdoor yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think a few car manufacturers will collapse in 5 to 10 years, and also car parts supply chain manufacturers.

EVs will be cheaper upfront than ICE cars within 5 years and 10% of cost to run. Nobody will pay more for an inferior product.

Apparently car manufacturers make most of their profit from parts and EVs need far less repairs and last longer.

Also, if and it's a big IF, autonomous driving becomes mainstream, then it's game over for lots of car companies and lots of people won't even bother buying cars. This is possible within 10 years.

Where you getting this tripe? Engine a nd gearbox are the only difference, everything else stays the same plus half a tonne of battery, tyres, brakes and suspension parts will fly

• Advertisement

Where you getting this tripe? Engine a nd gearbox are the only difference, everything else stays the same plus half a tonne of battery, tyres, brakes and suspension parts will fly

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/06/electric-vehicles-are-changing-the-future-of-auto-maintenance/

Read this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Siemens

They briefly owned Nixdorf, but it was spun out again as Wincor Nixdorf in 1999. So any ATM you're using isn't Siemens.

Their main business is power systems and infrastructural gear, which they're pretty much the world leader in for decades.

Siemens is probably one of the least likely companies to disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can't see Eir lasting in Ireland. Just seems like a ridiculous prospect. And the future of An Post seems similarly dubious.

There is a legal requirement for a post office I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Tesla owns the premium EV space at the moment. It'll be interesting when Mercedes and other big guns really compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cunard and Aer Lingus.

Kentucky Fried Chicken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is a legal requirement for a post office I think.
    On the other hand most of the post offices have already closed. Way, way down from peak numbers

Wombatman wrote: »
    Newspapers. How are they even sold right now?
    1. Scale. The concentration of newspaper media ownership in this country allows for economy of scale. Independent Newspapers owns everything from The Kerryman to the Belfast Telegraph.

2. Even the Irish Times owns the Examiner, but it also trades on status as the paper of record, and benefits from the fact that it only needs to break even — The Irish Times is owned by it's own Trust. They have a vocational concern for journalism, not money.

Cunard and Aer Lingus.
    Aer Lingus.

Thanks to the Eurowhite* paint job on the outside and Ryanair blue on the inside they have completely un-branded.

* Eurowhite
    White body reduces the energy needed for air conditioning. On a vehicle that can burn through it's own weight of fuel every day, day after day it's not going to make much of a difference. And a splash of paint on the tail won't stand out when so many airlines do special one-off paint jobs.

• Advertisement

Kentucky Fried Chicken.

cant see them going anywhere in the US or UK where they have a good foothold but here they dont have that many stores and dont seem to be all that popular, they struggle to compete against McDonalds, Burger King, etc. They have to go down as serving Irelands scabbiest portion of chips too, last time I was in a few years back I counted and there was literally 15 chips. The white paper bag they come in is minuscule and has a real bang of a bean counter watching margins off it.

Plus they seem to be poorly run, used to pass the one in Blanch a lot and if the wind was blowing the right way there was always a stench of old dirty oil coming from the KFC, it was rank. The managers inside would be cooking with dirty oil and not realising the stink of it outside was putting off people actually going in.

Advertisement