Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making simple wooden blocks

Options
  • 24-03-2005 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

All of you pros will think this is a silly question but I know nothing about woodwork and don't know where to begin.

I want to attractively display some small objects. Rather than just lay them all out on a shelf, I'd like to arrange some nice wooden blocks on the shelves first, then place the objects on those. It would vary the height of the display and add visual interest.

First, where would I get some small pieces of decent quality wood? Second, how should I finish them off? I suppose rounded edges would be nice but I don't know if that can be done with hand tools. Varnish, oil? If I had all of the one type of wood, could I still make the blocks look different, dark, light...?

All tips gratefully received!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

cutting,planing to make any of these blocks from large timber with-out a planer/thocknesser would be difficult.

Your best bet may be to buy square ballustrades that are used for a staircase. This based on me thinking you need 40mm or 50mm square timber.

They have rounded edges and when cut --preferable with a chop saw or mitre saw --they could be finished with 2 coats of danish oil and a light rub of a wax.
    Different shades of oil can also be got.

Can you specify the sizes you need --- B&Q have these ballustrades in 400mm & 50mm square.

karl

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

davros wrote:
    All of you pros will think this is a silly question but I know nothing about woodwork and don't know where to begin.

I want to attractively display some small objects. Rather than just lay them all out on a shelf, I'd like to arrange some nice wooden blocks on the shelves first, then place the objects on those. It would vary the height of the display and add visual interest.

First, where would I get some small pieces of decent quality wood? Second, how should I finish them off? I suppose rounded edges would be nice but I don't know if that can be done with hand tools. Varnish, oil? If I had all of the one type of wood, could I still make the blocks look different, dark, light...?

All tips gratefully received!

Hi Davros,

If I am picking up on this correctly, I think you are lookin for wooden bases placed along a wall shelf, and onto these bases you intend to place your objects.

Depending on the size of the blocks you require, I would imagine that they would be no bigger than about 6-8 inches long, and maybe no more than 6 inches wide. An ideal source of these blocks would be a joinery. They would have a large supply of offcuts in various timbers. These would be planed all around , and would require very little finishing, before varnising.

You would more than likely get these for taking away, or maybe a very small charge.

You should get a good selection of colours, from light coloured pine, to deep coloured mahogany, so you should not have to colour any at all. Ash, oak, mahogany, teak, pine, sycamore, maple, cherry, give a different range of colours, and different grain patterns will have a nice visual effect.

You could round the edges of the blocks, with the use of a small router, mounted in a bench, and move the block around the cutter, or alternatively, clamp the piece in a vise , and move the router around the piece. A small cheap router for less than 45 euros, with bits are sometimes available in aldi.
    If you intend to use a router, then please post again, and we will give you more specific help in relation to the safety aspects involved with small items.

The easiest finish for such blocks, would be danish oil, several coats wiped on with a soft clean cloth.

Hopefully i have got the correct idea, of what you are looking for.

kadman :)

Hi Karl,

You're quick on the draw pardn'er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

kadman wrote:
    I would imagine that they would be no bigger than about 6-8 inches long, and maybe no more than 6 inches wide.
    That sounds right. The balustrades are a bit on the small side, I reckon.

I see plenty of joineries listed in the Golden Pages here, including a couple within walking distance so I'll try that out.

I didn't realise routers could do edges. I don't have one or know anyone with one but I'll get the wood first and see how the edges look.

Thanks for the great advice, guys! So quick too :)

If you are not used to a router, get all your blocks cut to size, and bring them to a joinery, and they will run around them very quickly.
    Shouldn't cost too much either.

Then again , buy a small router, learn to use it , ..welcome to the joy of woodwork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

kadman wrote:
    Then again , buy a small router, learn to use it , ..welcome to the joy of woodwork.
    Have to say, I'm really tempted!

Give it a go, we'll show you how , and you have nothing to lose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

kadman wrote:
    Give it a go, we'll show you how , and you have nothing to lose. :)

except your fingers, so be careful :D

[QUOTE=

kadman :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Fiacha,
    The operative word being , Learn. :D

Have a happy easter gang

Advertisement