26-04-2021, 15:18   #706
Halycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkenn View Post
Abbey woods, if you can get to Cork city. I doubt that anyone other than a dedicated timber yard would have anything of interest to you.
Can I ask if they are welcoming to the small scale DIYer like myself? I often feel buying stuff from builders merchants that if you don't have a VAT number and aren't spending big money, you are wasting their time.
Advertisement
26-04-2021, 15:24   #707
glynf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halycon View Post
Can I ask if they are welcoming to the small scale DIYer like myself? I often feel buying stuff from builders merchants that if you don't have a VAT number and aren't spending big money, you are wasting their time.

Strahan are decent to deal with, they supply wood turning stuff as well so they would have no issue dealing with hobbyists in my experience. I have bought PAO (planed all over) oak & walnut from them several times, never any issue. With covid, you cannot choose your own boards, but they have a collection service which useful as the max length their courier service does is 600mm; I have gotten 2.4M/8ft from them. Not sure what their prices are like now, I got a planer some time back so going to get rough sawn boards for my next build.
Thanks from:
30-04-2021, 17:12   #708
josip

I need to replace a few Iroko slats in a garden table.

I only need 1m of 10mm * 50mm, but will get 3m for future repairs.
Best I can find is on ebay from UK and by the time delivery & import charges are added, it's £50.
Am I wasting my time trying to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get it for same or less?
30-04-2021, 18:39   #709
Calahonda52

abbeywood.ie iirc
Thanks from:
30-04-2021, 20:12   #710
DubInMeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahonda52 View Post
abbeywood.ie iirc
Last time I contacted them, about two years ago, they weren't interested in small orders.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-04-2021, 20:48   #711
Calahonda52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubInMeath View Post
Last time I contacted them, about two years ago, they weren't interested in small orders.
Okay,
I lived close enough to them and I just dropped in, I always found them easy to deal with, there will be pieces of board lying around, else try your local woodworking
30-04-2021, 20:55   #712
Mr Crispy

Hi folks.

I'm looking to make a desktop for my home office. I want something that will look smart, but be strong enough to support a decent amount of computer equipment. Would decent quality plywood do the job, and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?
30-04-2021, 21:00   #713
Calahonda52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crispy View Post
Hi folks.

I'm looking to make a desktop for my home office. I want something that will look smart, but be strong enough to support a decent amount of computer equipment. Would decent quality plywood do the job, and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?
IIRC the lads here are using baltic ply, you might need runners screwed and glued if the span is too wide
Thanks from:
30-04-2021, 21:33   #714
Firblog

Hi folks, OH has started cold smoking, just did a salmon and it turned out very well, problem is that we used up the bit of oak sawdust that came with the little maze smoker; thought this might be a good place to ask where to source some untreated oak / hickory / apple / cherry / maple sawdust? Couple of lbs would prob be more than enough for the rest of the year.

Cheers for all pointers.
Advertisement
30-04-2021, 22:15   #715
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by josip View Post
I need to replace a few Iroko slats in a garden table.

I only need 1m of 10mm * 50mm, but will get 3m for future repairs.
Best I can find is on ebay from UK and by the time delivery & import charges are added, it's £50.
Am I wasting my time trying to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get it for same or less?

Any joinery and you will pick that up for nothing
(2) thanks from:
18-06-2021, 19:43   #716
Nuphor

Send a message via ICQ to Nuphor Send a message via AIM to Nuphor
I’ve been looking to purchase some hardwood (walnut) in the south east area. Mcmahons did stock but their Waterford location seems to be closed (past by on Monday). Any other providers folks would recommend in the general south east? Happy to travel a bit, so KK, Wexford or Waterford.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion