30-04-2018, 16:11   #121
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Ah rats, the Dublin Flea was last weekend when I could have gone if I'd known it existed Thanks MB, I'll head into it next time to take a peek. I do need to get a #7 or #8 for flattening the benchtop and I'd be paying €17 in postage alone from ebay.
couple of lads selling planes at the dublin flea yesterday - i think i spotted about six bailey planes in total, and probably enough working parts between them for about three or four functional machines.
i picked up a 4 1/2 with one screw missing for €8 - a little surface rust, but in working order.
Advertisement
30-04-2018, 16:25   #122
Sparks

Nice one. I've gone and bought all the planes I need now though
(I refuse to class a record #02 as a "plane I need" )
20-01-2019, 14:18   #123
imakebiodiesel

Ive just notice that the link on the previous page to my vintage tools list is not correct
This link should work ok.
https://www.adverts.ie/member/727864/ads

Fine preloved hand tools for woodwork, blacksmithing and stone work
Thanks from:
20-01-2019, 18:20   #124
MickeyShtyles

Hows it going.
I’m making keyrings as ‘wedding favours’. Going to slice a branch and burn a logo onto the slice.
I’m wondering where I might get a custom made branding iron of the logo I want?
Thanks
20-01-2019, 18:49   #125
JayZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyShtyles View Post
Hows it going.
I’m making keyrings as ‘wedding favours’. Going to slice a branch and burn a logo onto the slice.
I’m wondering where I might get a custom made branding iron of the logo I want?
Thanks
Ebay
Advertisement
29-11-2019, 21:19   #126
JayZeus

-10% this weekend on Quangsheng planes from www.workshopheaven.com

I was too quick to dismiss this gear as chinese copies, likely to be nice looking rubbish.

Got hands on with some Quangsheng, Luban and Juuma planes (all made by QS Tools) and have been rather impressed by all of them.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case any of ye are looking for Santa Letter stuff.

I got a Luban 102 from them a good few weeks back and proceeded to debrand it. It's a smashing little plane. Very nicely made and looks perfect after I removed the ugly logo. For €60 plus postage, it's a great alternative to the desirable Lie Nielsen for about half the price.
(2) thanks from:
31-12-2019, 23:30   #127
jack of all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
-10% this

I got a Luban 102 from them a good few weeks back and proceeded to debrand it. It's a smashing little plane. Very nicely made and looks perfect after I removed the ugly logo. For €60 plus postage, it's a great alternative to the desirable Lie Nielsen for about half the price.
Looks like great value for money; I've got some LN planes myself so I'd like to check this one out. Would you mind putting up a photo of your "debadged" plane? I presume a Dremel was called into action?
31-12-2019, 23:54   #128
JayZeus

Took those pictures at the time. They're not great, but you can get an idea from them. I buffed the ridged bits at the toe and heel smooth and along the top of the cheeks. Only takes a couple of minutes. All the bright parts have since dulled down nicely. I like it anyway.
Thanks from:
01-01-2020, 01:54   #129
jack of all

Lovely job, well wear!
Advertisement
07-01-2020, 19:19   #130
jack of all

I pulled the trigger on the Luban apron plane, it arrived today. It's a very nice plane indeed, good materials, well machined and put together. I have a Veritas equivalent bought in Celtic Tiger times, not fair to compare them (completely different- cast iron body, adjustment yoke mechanism and lateral adjustment) but the Luban would not be out of place in its company. The logo is awful but I'm half afraid to attempt to remove it. I have a small cold chisel (6mm) which I thought might do a quick job on removing most of the material- but it's a gamble! I don't have a 6" buffing wheel, is that what you used?
Thanks from:
07-01-2020, 20:44   #131
JayZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack of all View Post
I pulled the trigger on the Luban apron plane, it arrived today. It's a very nice plane indeed, good materials, well machined and put together. I have a Veritas equivalent bought in Celtic Tiger times, not fair to compare them (completely different- cast iron body, adjustment yoke mechanism and lateral adjustment) but the Luban would not be out of place in its company. The logo is awful but I'm half afraid to attempt to remove it. I have a small cold chisel (6mm) which I thought might do a quick job on removing most of the material- but it's a gamble! I don't have a 6" buffing wheel, is that what you used?
Good man, I think they're great value really. I've a few Veritas planes myself and while the Luban's not quite up there with them, it really is a fine little tool for a fairly inoffensive price compared to some of the alternatives.

I just used a small carving burr 'ball' in a dremel for the one on the body, in front of the adjuster (not the worst place if you wanted to leave it anyway) and for the one on the lever cap I just used a smooth cut half round file and a dowel with 240-400 grit paper to smooth it out, then some emery paper and finally a bit of Autosol and a scotchbrite pad. Sounds like more effort than it took really. I like tipping away at stuff when I'm working through a series on Netflix or the likes.

Last edited by JayZeus; 07-01-2020 at 20:50.
07-01-2020, 20:45   #132
JayZeus

Like this

The magnifying led lamp might not be necessary but it's dead handy for that sort of thing and for sharpening the really small toothed saws, soldering etc.

Last edited by JayZeus; 21-03-2020 at 14:20.
Thanks from:
07-01-2020, 20:52   #133
JayZeus

And here, for comparison

Last edited by JayZeus; 21-03-2020 at 14:20.
(3) thanks from:
07-01-2020, 20:56   #134
jack of all

Thank you very much, just the info I need. I think I have some of those burrs rattling around in a box somewhere. Appreciate it!
Thanks from:
21-01-2020, 15:32   #135
All My Stars Aligned

@imakebiodesle I sent you a PM re your Adverts listings. I'm a woodwork noob in need of tools!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion