13-01-2021, 08:50   #31
kadman

For an air to heat pump I would have to install a wet central heating system in my shed would i not??
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 09:00   #32
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ri rua View Post
Would you not build yourself a DIY Masonry heater or a rocket mass heater? Would be well within your capabilities I'd imagine.
Along with a bit of insulation, it would be the common-sense way to heat your space.

I experimented with using storage heater bricks to soak up the heat of an open fire and it was impressive.
You could try storage heater bricks all around that stove, would be s cheap upgrade for now. But really, a rocket mass heater together with cob or masonry bricks would be a good job.

I use paraffin heaters for the past 10 years. You can run them quite cheaply on Kero. But thats is fumier than using paraffin/ROLF. Currently, I use Tozane (ROLF) in a home office large caravan. I wouldn't use kero in this situation but have done so in a large well ventilated room.

I have to admit I am currently looking at some vids on this and its construction methods. I confess I am impressed and drawn towards it as a heating source for my workshop. I will give it strong consideration, as i dont think its too labour intensive, and seems to have excellent outcomes.

13-01-2021, 09:05   #33
magicbastarder

just build a fulacht fia in the middle of the workshop. heating *and* food.
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 09:05   #34
deegs

Left of field... But I got an old Bitcoin miner. It's noisy but I earn close to the cost of electricity and it heats up my 24sqm workshop in no time. I also have a load of old oil and do plan to make a rocket stove at some point. But the comment on vapour is something I had previously considered.
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 13:16   #35
chillyspoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegs View Post
Left of field... But I got an old Bitcoin miner. It's noisy but I earn close to the cost of electricity and it heats up my 24sqm workshop in no time. I also have a load of old oil and do plan to make a rocket stove at some point. But the comment on vapour is something I had previously considered.
One of the most unusual approaches to workshop heating that I've heard - I love it!

I've got a few old PCs around, so I guess I could set up a really inefficient mining farm and try something similar but in my case there's no way I could get close to covering the costs with the level of processing power available!!
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 17:16   #36
BullBauld

I got this for my shed, does the job great when needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2021-01-13-17-15-29-72.jpg (467.0 KB, 85 views)
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 17:25   #37
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers101 View Post
I have an air to air heat pump. It’s the job, heats the place up very quickly and is efficient. Also have the option to cool if it’s one of the four days in the year it’s needed.

The units themselves aren’t hugely expensive (start around €400) but professional installation can cost three times that. It would be better if you know someone in the air conditioning trade to either do it for you or lend you the tools.

I got one of them too.
Installed it ourselves.
2 x 6 inch holes in the wall and bobs yer uncle.
Works like a freezer in reverse. It draws heat from the air outside. PAsses the air inside over the radiarot fin type thing inside and blows it out hot.
Dont put your hand near the cold exiting air outside unless you want frostbite
Make sure you buy one that is powerful enough for your space though.
And like you said. The couple of days you need it in the summer it reverses to aircon at the touch of a button.

I also have a heated gillet that i wear when its very cold outside. Maybe one of those would help til you get your heating sorted.
Now i need heated socks

Last edited by JimmyVik; 13-01-2021 at 17:29.
13-01-2021, 17:30   #38
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
For an air to heat pump I would have to install a wet central heating system in my shed would i not??

No. Air to air. Think aircon on the continent, but in reverse.
13-01-2021, 20:32   #39
Calahonda52

Quote:
Sticking with this concept, have you access to a stream, lake, slurry pit, for a water to air HP
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 20:38   #40
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahonda52 View Post
Sticking with this concept, have you access to a stream, lake, slurry pit, for a water to air HP
No I have not. I have a 320' bored well.....any use??

Not savvy on water to air heat pump at all. Too busy looking at rocket mass heaters at the moment.
14-01-2021, 08:12   #41
Calahonda52

Quote:
No I have not. I have a 320' bored well.....any use??

Not savvy on water to air heat pump at all. Too busy looking at rocket mass heaters at the moment.
So taking on Space X etc!

Anyway W2A is a bit pricey but very effective as the water stays more or less at the same temp all year, where as the A2A suffers from what we had last week and lower conductivity.
Come back if you need more
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2021, 10:11   #42
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahonda52 View Post
So taking on Space X etc!

Anyway W2A is a bit pricey but very effective as the water stays more or less at the same temp all year, where as the A2A suffers from what we had last week and lower conductivity.
Come back if you need more
Would it suite a workshop though. I would assume that it's small increase in temp over a long time gets the space hot . Would it be expensive to run ina draughty and pearly insulated shed.
Thanks from:
14-01-2021, 11:49   #43
Calahonda52

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_turner View Post
Would it suite a workshop though. 1: I would assume that it's small increase in temp over a long time gets the space hot .2: Would it be expensive to run ina draughty and pearly insulated shed.
1 & 2, not really and yes, which is why the IR option is better, either from wet rads at ceiling level or the radiant elec or gas tubes at ceiling level

Last edited by Calahonda52; 15-01-2021 at 17:20.
Thanks from:
14-01-2021, 20:01   #44
hargo

Don't know if you got sorted Kadman but Bohills in Drogheda do reconditioned stoves very reasonable.. I was looking at a very nice one there just before Christmas for €200. Might be worth a call.
Thanks from:
15-01-2021, 11:52   #45
bamayang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBauld View Post
I got this for my shed, does the job great when needed.
I have an old handy size stove at home that has no use for the house. Was thinking about putting it into the workshop instead. Its 7M x 5M, 50mm kingspan insulated.

Is there any risk of introducing moisture (earlier mentioned in thread).
Also, is there any carbon diox risk, assuming it will have a flue out through the wall.

Appreciate any replies, as I dont know anything about this stuff.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion