Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since one was started - merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

What's the best camera for under 100 ? I was looking at those Halfords cameras today, a HDC 300 with gps and parking mode for 83. Are they ok cameras ? I currently have a Yi smart cam which has amazing 1080p video imo, but it's acting funny lately and think I should replace it.

Is this shoite or no ?
    https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc300-dash-cam

Suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mondeo wrote: »
    What's the best camera for under 100 ? I was looking at those Halfords cameras today, a HDC 300 with gps and parking mode for 83. Are they ok cameras ? I currently have a Yi smart cam which has amazing 1080p video imo, but it's acting funny lately and think I should replace it.

Is this shoite or no ?
    https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc300-dash-cam

Suggestions ?

Look at post 3
    It does all I need .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vectra wrote: »
    Look at post 3
    It does all I need .

Looks good.
    Is the app handy to use.
    Does it have live stream in order to mount the camera and set up viewing angle etc?

Is it easy enough to pull down footage on the fly using the app?

Thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    Looks good.
    Is the app handy to use.
    Does it have live stream in order to mount the camera and set up viewing angle etc?

Is it easy enough to pull down footage on the fly using the app?

Thanks.

The app is straightforward to use for setting it up,
    Other than that I never tried pulling down footage on the fly,
    But there is a review here if it might help you>> blueskysea-b1w/

Main reason I bought it was pic quality is quite good and it is ultra discreet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

kceire wrote: »
    So i've been hunting a Dash Cam for Mrs. Kceire's car recently and noticed that the previous thread has been shut down and lost to the wilderness.

I have a DDPai M6 Plus in my own car and quite happy with it, although the app can be weird at times.

I'm looking for a Nextbase or similar quality brand for the wife's car.
    I know I can get cheap on eBay, Ali, Wish etc but experience has led me to buy decent the first time round.

Current options :

Budget/Entry Level - Nextbase 112

€49.99 on Micksgarage

€59.99 on Halfords

Mid Range with WiFi - Nextbase 312 GW

€114 in Halfords - Part of Bundle

Have you thought of getting a rear camera too? It’s €60 but it’s well wort it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

peposhi wrote: »
    Have you thought of getting a rear camera too? It’s €60 but it’s well wort it...

I’ve never thought of needing one to be honest.
    I’m running a front facing sash cam since 2006 so I suppose I should consider the rear now :)

Has anyone got the new Nextbase 322GW ? I saw this for 99 today in PC World. Is it a good price for this ? It has parking mode, wifi and GPS... It is just a front camera. The rear camera is an extra 59..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Hope it's ok to jump in here rather than start a new thread. I know absolutely nothing about dash cams and don't own one.
    My daughter is looking at getting one. Is this one any good.

https://www.livingsocial.ie/deal/shop/electricals/camera-photo/12655217/hd-rear-dash-cam?st_cid=GoogleShopping_LSIE&ito=livingsoLS_IE_GoogleProducts_LS_RevenueMarketing_12655217&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j9TstQLOLuxiNn4abENtmDqDOZ6Ql03NE6EN2UBmVNyoiXWZmPKHDcaAm4gEALw_wcB

Rubbish, don't waste your money. They are chinese generic crap sold with many different brand names on them.

You could look at this, be alot better then that thing you linked to. https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc100-dash-cam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

mondeo wrote:
    Rubbish, don't waste your money. They are chinese generic crap sold with many different brand names on them.

Thanks for the info glad I posted here now

I went out and bought the Nextbase 322GW, the video quality is probably a bit worse then my old Yi dash cam I bought 3 years ago, hmmm :/. It looks grainier or something, maybe there is a software update for it I can download. It does has parking mode and GPS so for 99 I can't really complain. The nexbase player is nice to so you can edit the videos and see all the stats on your computer. I will see how I get on with it over the coming days.

I went out and bought the Nextbase 322GW, the video quality is probably a bit worse then my old Yi dash cam I bought 3 years ago, hmmm :/. It looks grainier or something, maybe there is a software update for it I can download. It does has parking mode and GPS so for 99 I can't really complain. The nexbase player is nice to so you can edit the videos and see all the stats on your computer. I will see how I get on with it over the coming days.

I never found the picture quality on Nextbase cameras any good, that said I only have experience of the 312GW and 512GW not the new 2 series ones. The Viofo A129 I have now is far superior, as as my old Yi camera.

I never found the picture quality on Nextbase cameras any good, that said I only have experience of the 312GW and 512GW not the new 2 series ones. The Viofo A129 I have now is far superior, as as my old Yi camera.

A downgrade in image quality is not an upgrade to me, was expecting alot more from this camera from a video quality perspective. I'm just reviewing the video quality again on my laptop. The video is really nowhere near as good as my old Yi dash cam :confused:. I feel I might attempt to return this camera, I doubt they will take it back since the seal is broken on the box now :(

I may aswell of just bought the Halfords HDC 300 I was looking at, had GPS and Parking mode to, and a rear camera for less then 90... It couldn't be any worse then this Nextbase 322GW.

Today is a good day ! I returned the dash cam and store manager gave me the MUCH better 522GW for the same price !.... Rare I come across such sympathy in retail ! The quality of the video is much much better with this one, the 1080p on the 322GW is significantly worse then the 1080p on the 522GW. Sht lenses on their cheaper cameras I guess. I have yet to play with the 1440p resolution on it though since I need to get a better SD card first.

Today is a good day ! I returned the dash cam and store manager gave me the MUCH better 522GW for the same price !.... Rare I come across such sympathy in retail ! The quality of the video is much much better with this one, the 1080p on the 322GW is significantly worse then the 1080p on the 522GW. Sht lenses on their cheaper cameras I guess. I have yet to play with the 1440p resolution on it though since I need to get a better SD card first.

Result. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Hi folks
    Are there any dash cam that continuously record rather than record in segments and then write over the oldest recording and also do dash cams record audio?
    I drive for a living and I have been thinking of doing an occasional Youtube blog of my travels, I currently use a cheapie action cam but it stops recording after 26 minutes and has to be restarted which as well as being a pain is an unsafe distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Hi folks
    Are there any dash cam that continuously record rather than record in segments and then write over the oldest recording and also do dash cams record audio?
    I drive for a living and I have been thinking of doing an occasional Youtube blog of my travels, I currently use a cheapie action cam but it stops recording after 26 minutes and has to be restarted which as well as being a pain is an unsafe distraction.

I’m planning to get this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075T8H9XJ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_.barEb4V4HNMZ

A friend of mine has the front camera only - super duper quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hi folks
    [...]

No and yes.

No for continuous recording, as memory cards are FAT32 or exFAT formatted, and these file systems have their file size limitations. Never a problem though, as spliitng/joining videos is pretty simple and can be performed without recompression.

Yes for audio recording, in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Aukey Dual dash cam on offer @ £82.6 been waiting on a deal for the Viofo A129 but it hasn't been on offer in months. Any one have it? I have a Yi camera thats served well but I'd like to upgrade to a dual and I'll move the Yi to my wife's car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075T8H9XJ?psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I use a Go Pro, excellent pic and sound, but a bit expensive, and interface is awkward.

Ryath wrote: »
    Aukey Dual dash cam on offer @ £82.6 been waiting on a deal for the Viofo A129 but it hasn't been on offer in months. Any one have it? I have a Yi camera thats served well but I'd like to upgrade to a dual and I'll move the Yi to my wife's car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075T8H9XJ?psc=1

It’s good but the A129 is worth the extra cost.

Still after one of these which are the best cheapie one

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Does anyone else have this issue with NextBase model 512?

Mr Lemon has one and he also bought one for his parents and the audio recording keeps randomly deciding to turn itself off.

I know how to turn the sound on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Plane Mad

I have the the 522 model and was having the same problem. I bought a nextbase Micro SD card and that seems to have sorted the problem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks im thinking of one of these for my next carm maybe the thinkwareF800 not sure yet, but what i am after is a good neat installer, can anyone recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread.

I currently have a DDPai M6+ (http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/6/23/dashcam-review-ddpai-m6-is-the-best-mini-cam-ive-used.html) which captures great quality video and has nice features such as time lapse parking mode (I've it hard wired into the car) but the software side is a huge let down. They never developed the firmware, it's horrible to use and my unit has finally stopped working.

I'm therefore in the market for a front view dashcam with the following criteria:-

- Time lapse parking mode. This is very important to me.
    - Motion detection parking mode. (independent or an enhancement to the time lapse function)
    - 4k UHD recording onto high capacity micro SD cards e.g. 64GB or 128GB.
    - Easy connection and managing / streaming via Android phone app rather than on device screen.
    - As compact and discreet as possible.
    - Micro USB charging. (Already wired for Micro USB so want to stick with that.)

Any suggestions?

54and56 wrote: »

Any suggestions?

I don't know anything about this site, but the dashcam is decent apparently, I was going to take a punt at buying one myself.
    https://www.cdzzhw.com/collections/game-player/products/the-4k-uhd-wide-angle-lens-dash-cam-features-a-built-in-wifi-dashboard-and-gps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

vectra wrote: »
    I don't know anything about this site, but the dashcam is decent apparently, I was going to take a punt at buying one myself.
    https://www.cdzzhw.com/collections/game-player/products/the-4k-uhd-wide-angle-lens-dash-cam-features-a-built-in-wifi-dashboard-and-gps

Some deal if we did a group deal and ordered 4! Bit suspicious about the site though.

Advertisement