Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handmade Quality Woodworking Tools...a market??

• 12-03-2018 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of your input/perspective..
    Do you think that there is a market for quality handmade woodworking tools? Likes of hammers, squares, awls, layout tools, marking tools, screwdrivers, etc.
    Tools made from exotic timbers and good steel.

Is there a market for a small production number of precise tools?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

As long as you focus on international sales from the get-go, I think there's a market there but it's competitive so repeatability for rate of output coupled to maintenance of quality will be the balance to achieve; not easy!

For example work like Mirock's: https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/Mirockswoodshop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I cant see how there would be a market to be honest.

Given that we place a lot of stock in good antique tools now readily available

at very reasonable cost. I think it would be an extremely hard market

to gain any foothold in .

But I,m open to correction on that, I was wrong before.......once:D

Definitely do the research before any large scale financial commitment,

good luck if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lostgoat

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.
    I have actually watched many of Mirocks videos on YouTube! Very entertaining! I v

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.
    I have actually watched many of Mirocks videos on YouTube! Very entertaining! I can 100% see where you are coming from regarding the repeatability. Realistically you'd be looking at cnc?

I would think that there are vintage tool collectors who will pay big money for vintage tools but not use them. While other people want modern/new tools, precisely made that they. An use every day... But I definitely see your point about researching it. It's a big leap. Maybe starting off slowly.

Anyone want to buy a little brass head and curly maple handle hammer? Can vary hammer size/handle length/dye wood colour.

What tools do you think would attract the most interest in such a market?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

brass head and curly maple handle hammer? Can vary hammer size/handle length/dye wood colour.

I'd be a little concerned by this description. It appears that you are going for form over function. I would rather have a well balanced hammer and you cannot have this if you are allowing choice of handle length and hammer size independently and sight unseen. I have a pretty little hammer with a flowery handle which I was given as a gift (I am female) - I am entertained by it but never use it as the balance is completely off. For preference I use a particular, very bog standard looking, hammer that I have had for decades, not pretty but it is very well balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

looksee wrote: »
    I'd be a little concerned by this description. It appears that you are going for form over function. I would rather have a well balanced hammer and you cannot have this if you are allowing choice of handle length and hammer size independently and sight unseen. I have a pretty little hammer with a flowery handle which I was given as a gift (I am female) - I am entertained by it but never use it as the balance is completely off. For preference I use a particular, very bog standard looking, hammer that I have had for decades, not pretty but it is very well balanced.

You just need to be clear about the intended function - apologies if I'm putting words in your mouth here - what you've described could be a tap hammer like the one I've attached (that my Dad made for me) but that's got to be clear up front.

The function is also what will bring customers along initially at least; "I'm looking for a good quality x, y or z" then the form can be what gets the sale, makes that customer into a maven for your work and becomes a facet of your brand, so that eventually (what most artists want) someone can see the x, y or z and know immediately that it was created by you.

445530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think there is a market internationally for it. some national buyers will boost it a bit but i wouldnt be aiming that as my primery market.
    look at carl holtey planes .thousands for a plane.

i would try to keep it local with materials, irish hardwoods with bog oak inlays or accent pieces. use exotics sparingly. market them as irish made to give yourself a neich . a bubinga an zebrano handled hammer could be from anywhere.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Hi looksee, I'm not so sure that you can't have different hammer handle lengths but still balanced.
    I have a hammer from Workshop Heaven which was available in different lengths. https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangsheng-brass-chisel-hammer-short-18oz-500g.html

I think it's nice to have a weighty little hammer with a short handle that you can hold up close around the head of the hammer for good control when chopping dovetails, etc.

Hi chillyspoon, that's a lovely little hammer your father made. And another kind of hammer style I would like to target. I was trying to describe a small tap hammer possibly as in my link.
    Absolutely, it's developing that brand that would be synonymous with great quality and beautiful design. The perfect balance of form and function.

Hi the_pen_turner, that's a great piece of advice. Bog oak would be a great wood to utilise in tools.

I have a number of designs for tools. If I was to make some prototypes and post the photos here. Could you give me some feed back?
    What do you think would be the biggest sellers of tools?

Again, thank you very much for all!

Advertisement