04-09-2016, 22:49   #1

What are you working on currently?

Hey folks,

Not sure if there's a thread for this already, but direct me to it if there is!

Thought it'd be good to share what we're working on currently and our progress, etc.

After all sorts of problems I've completed the build of a BBQ side table for my friend. Gonna finish it during the week and then get rid of it! The frame ended up a bit twisted which has meant I had to hack the sh*te out of the legs to get them even. Just hoping my friend's patio is flat, or we'll have to stick a few beer mats under it! Got quite acquainted with my new circular saw today, wasn't as intuitive as I assumed to get a clean straight cut with it, but I'm quite comfortable with it now!

https://twitter.com/davemcginn_ie/st...35698939383813

Next project is a quite narrow hall table for my sister's house. Been looking forward to starting on this one! Was browsing Pinterest the last few days for ideas. Bought the timber today, have a good idea how I'll do it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-09-2016, 23:18   #2
magicbastarder

eh... tidying the shed.
(2) thanks from:
05-09-2016, 04:59   #3
rich.d.berry

I'm making some Christmas gifts. Yeah, I know it's early, but there's a lot to do. I'm making a chisel and mallet gift set in a hardwood carry case for the two sons-in-law. I'm replacing the plastic handles on the chisels with wooden ones (not sure of the wood I'll be using yet) and making the mallets using beech for the heads and white oak for the handles. I have re-sawn a nice piece of elm for the box sides and have managed to get three boards out of it. some figured maple for the tops (still to be re-sawn) should give a nice contrast to the elm.

I'm not sure what to do for the daughters yet, but between the four projects I'll be kept out of mischief for a couple of months at least.
05-09-2016, 09:49   #4
Gryzor

Making this coffee table from white oak. Source material is rough sawn 1x6 boards, and it is pretty rough in places! Handtools only for me at the moment, so it's slow going dimensioning everything, but it's coming out ok so far.
05-09-2016, 13:10   #5
mayo.mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
eh... tidying the shed.
Same here, getting ready to re roof my workshop too. Been a few years away from my woodturning and workshop (through illness) hoping to get back doing a bit
Advertisement
06-09-2016, 13:21   #6
Sparks

Just finished lining the shed with OSB, painting it and fitting LED T8 lights. Have to finish wiring it up still for sockets and the consumer unit and the power line
back to the house (not on a seperate circuit, the biggest draw it's ever going to see is a router). Need to paint the outside as well.

Almost done with building my workbench (which has dragged on thanks to weather and other things eating up spare time). All joints cut, just making drawbore
pegs at the moment. Hoping to get it into the shed before the weather closes in for winter.

And just finished knocking together a small sharpening station with diamond plates.

Last edited by Sparks; 06-09-2016 at 13:26.
09-09-2016, 18:47   #7
fergal.b

The total refit and adapted 34 foot cruiser http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057583016 putting in mahogany double doors to open up the back.

10-09-2016, 08:33   #8
RobAMerc

built a book/tv case and some built in units. the bit in the corner will eventually be a seat with more book shelves over it, similar to the one over the telly

at the moment it houses a lot of toys !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bookCase.jpg (678.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by RobAMerc; 11-09-2016 at 09:22.
10-09-2016, 18:40   #9
andy125

Just finished as cheval mirror with jewelry storage, must have been at it over a month but got there in the end,

She's happy, i'm happy

Last edited by andy125; 10-09-2016 at 18:59.
Advertisement
10-09-2016, 20:52   #10
Bonzo Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy125 View Post
Just finished as cheval mirror with jewelry storage, must have been at it over a month but got there in the end,

She's happy, i'm happy

Happy wife ... happy life.
Looks tasty nice work
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2016, 16:27   #11
Sparks

Glued up and drawbored all the undercarriage for the workbench, then the next day trimmed everything flush, fitted the face vice (a record 53A which is a monster of a thing that damn near doesn't fit in the bench because the bench is almost not wide enough), fitted the planing stop, fitted the aprons and glued them up. Curing away under a tarp as we speak, and should only need one more dry day to finish. Have to flatten the top and cut the mortice for the end vice, which will be easier outside; and then I can move it to its final resting place in the shed and do all the little bits like fitting the front face of the face vice, making a jaw for that, fitting the inset vice and drowning the whole thing in BLO and turps.
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2016, 17:43   #12
rich.d.berry

That looks very good and very solid. Was it necessary to glue it or could the drawbores have been sufficient? I've a workbench in the pipeline but I want it to be able to be disassembled if ever I need to move it. I'm not sure if it's practical for a workbench though.
11-09-2016, 19:02   #13
Sparks

I've not heard of anyone using drawbores without glue before - I don't think it'd work in construction grade timber, too much tension on the tenon and you'd be in danger of either snapping the peg, or - and more likely in this godawful cruddy whitewood - breaking the tenon with the peg. So the tenons are all glued up (as well as the benchtop and aprons which are laminated from 2x4s). Used titebond II throughout, it's not coming apart anytime soon.

Honestly, I was considering making a knock-down version of it when I started, but while something like the morovian design is very very suited to a knock-down build, the english and ruobo designs aren't as easy. Paul Seller's design of the english bench (just youtube, it's probably the most popular workbench video on there) is a knock-down one, but I wanted the flush front face of the bench that you get with the roubo so I made a mongrel out of his design, Richard McGuire's and the Stumpy Nubs Roubo design. Half of me is surprised it hasn't fallen apart yet.

I will say this - if I was starting over, I would not do it like this. I'd go to Quinns, buy some 3-inch thick red deal planks and those for the top and the legs, and be done in a weekend (and for about the same price really), and if I was putting on aprons and trying for the flush front face, I'd just add another board to the front legs below the apron instead of cutting that weird joint on the front legs.

Last edited by Sparks; 11-09-2016 at 19:06.
12-09-2016, 14:38   #14
Yelnahs

Just finished a very cheesy red 'love shelf' with back-lit LEDs, it is similar to this:

(3) thanks from:
14-09-2016, 17:25   #15
pakman

My attempt at reusing some pallets to spruce up that grey wall you can see which is at the back of my garden.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion