Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rebuildable discussion thread

• 17-04-2013 10:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

didnt want to spam the 'today i ordered thread' and the bulli/rda threads are prob best left to their respective atties so a new thread for everything else is prob worthwhile, at least until enough people get a certain atty to warrant a new thread for it

spent 2 hours banging my head off the desk trying to get the igo-s working. it's so small. maybe I could get it working if I persevered, but I'm just not going to. I might keep it in a drawer and come back to it in a couple of weeks.. i haven't decided yet

the a7 though was a more pleasant experience. i tried 4 wraps of 1mm a few times, but it just wasn't working well at all.. vape was far far too harsh.. imm not sure why.
    have 2 strands of 1mm atm, six wraps of .15 kanthal.. comes out to 2.4ohms, just like the coil that was in it when it arrived. vaping beautifully.
    ill vape this for a while and then try it with .20 kanthal but initial experiments trying to wrap .20 around 2 strands of 1mm didn't go well.. the wire is just so thick

it's not as good as the bulli at its peak, not all that close but it approaches the rda tbh. little bit less "oomph" in the flavour than the rda, and the whistling air noise when you draw is pretty annoying but those are all minor details. for the price of it, the fact that it's SS so oughta last years and the overall performance... fantastic atty.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I never really got on with silica based rebuildables, i got maybe 3-4 good coils on an IGO-L, but got bored, so set it to one side.

But on the genesis side of things...that's a different matter altogether.

59727_10200739665357692_2017213091_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you never jumped on the ribbon kanthal bandwagon?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Tried it, didn't like it, dunno why exactly, just wasn't doing any thing spectacular to the vape.

just like the rda the flavour in the a7 is better when there's little to no juice left in the well

what the hell is up with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I tried to put a mesh wick in it. It's a pain to rebuild so I thought that would reduce the need to rebuild. It's too small though really. Might try a hybrid one sometime but I don't really believe in them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

just like the rda the flavour in the a7 is better when there's little to no juice left in the well

what the hell is up with that

You might have a preference for very freshly cooked juice? I usually prefer my freshly-dripped draws. But not enough to stop me being lazy and dumping as much juice as I can fit into it...into it.
    I tried to put a mesh wick in it. It's a pain to rebuild so I thought that would reduce the need to rebuild. It's too small though really. Might try a hybrid one sometime but I don't really believe in them.....
    A Miracle on 34th St. sequel in the making.

Building with SS in the A7 I had to twist one of the posts because it's impossible not to cut into the mesh with the stock set up. Twisting the wire into the second hole is a total bitch either way, mesh magnifies it.

would you be able to have the mesh touching the base or would it have to be suspended above it? cos of .. electric pixies or whatever

The mesh can touch it if it's oxidised properly and barely touching it and you've made sure not to scrape it. Hard to do with the awkward post positions and the finagling the second leg into place.
    Putting a teensy layer of silica or cotton underneath the part that touches the base will save vast amounts of time if something like that goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I gave up on my AGA-s for size constraints and I didn't like the draw. I get along well with the IGO-L though.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭P.I.T.A

Got my Igo L about an hour ago.

Have to say it does not look as big as it does on YouTube :)
    First coil copied P Bastardo and used 2mm wick doubled up and trimmed after coiling, used 5 turns, bloody thing came out at 4.2 ohms.
    Second one single 2mm with 5 turns, 2.8 still too high.
    3rd 2mm and 4 turns at 2.2, just right.

The draw is the most airy I have come i across in any device, not keen on that too much, but a nice flavour and good amount of vapour with my Wingnuts VC.

All in all a nice device and good vape, pleased with it, especially as all my 3 coils worked :D. But as good as it is I still prefer the ET Vision for flavour, vapour and amount it holds. But at least I have a 2nd choice when the mood takes me.

• Advertisement

I like it for handiness. When I get the new pass the parcel in the post, i'll be able to sample juices easily, and if one of them is hard to clean out, it's a doddle to make a coil on the IGO-L.

one thing I didn't think about when putting my provari for sale.. it's bloody awkward trying to dry burn a coil with an ego
    takes forever!

I don't dry burn any more at all. Doesn't last for long after it using FG.

I dry burn with mesh alright though.

maybe it's the juices im vaping but my coils tend to need it after a days vaping.

iGO-L dual-coil @ 1.1ohm, #200 SS, 0.3x0.1 ribbon kanthal.
    Puros Naturales. Disturbing levels of throathit.

naDK36V.jpg

anyone who has an a7, do you notice much difference in the vape by changing the height of the coil relative to the airhole?

im gonna experiment with it myself obviously but i dont want to go ripping coils up every 20 minutes just to try something new so figured i'd crowdsource initially

I'm not actually sure.....I was wondering that too and tried adjusting it before. I 'think' it's a bit gentler closer to the airhole......

It's such a pain to rebuild compared to the Bulli though.....I only rebuild when required rather than on a whim...

really? I'm having no problems at all rebuilding it. just gotta keep the legs suuuuuuuper long

im finding im not enjoying low res(medium-high watt) coils much on the a7, the flavour is being stripped away compared to the bulli but low watt coils are giving good flavour

Yeah, I just hate wasting too much wire, cheap as it is even.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

What makes them so hard to rebuild? Was thinking of getting one as a back up to the RDA.

• Advertisement

Much less vapour much more throathit the further away the coil is with the A7.
    I was kind of surprised by how much a couple of mm in height made a difference, always thought if it was hitting the coil relatively close it wouldn't make too much difference. It's a balancing act.

rickyjb wrote: »
    What makes them so hard to rebuild? Was thinking of getting one as a back up to the RDA.

No, dont get me wrong - they are not difficult at all to rebuild. Arguably easier to get right than other RBA's. Getting the second leg through the hole can be a bit of a knack and a bit fiddly but they are actually a great little atty.

it's quite similar to the phoenix
    (1) the holes in the posts are in kinda awkward positions
    (2) it's tricky enough to get the wire through the holes without distorting the coil

tricky but not impossible, if you leave the legs really long (I use a couple of inches on either side) then you have quite a bit of room to work with without having to worry about the coil being pulled all out of shape

--edit

just did a 2.4ohm coil again on one of the a7's. much nicer than the 1.4-1.7 ohm coils. I don't know if it's how close the airhole is to the coil, or how small the device is.. but it's so unlike my experience with other rebuildables.

did a coil with 8 wraps of .20 kanthal on 4 1mm strands, came to 2.1 ohms but flavour is much improved relative to the amount of heat im getting in the vape. 2.5ohm coils are good flavour but very mild vape, low res coils are rough flavour and too warm vape... i think i'm on the way now

will try 7 wraps of .20 next and then 7 wraps with 3 1mm strands

Janey, mine usually come out around 2 ohms with 4/5 turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Have to say, 2 ohms at 4.2v, 4 turns of .2 kanthal on an ego with the condomoid is the best vape I have had in a long long time!

condomoid

It's no wonder new people to this forum get confused with all the terms.

Janey, mine usually come out around 2 ohms with 4/5 turns.

im trying to get as many coils as I can directly over the airhole, rather than having them all spread out between the posts. so aiming for 5-6 over the airhole then two on the sides attached to each post

looks like I must bow to the wisdom of green hornet

5 wraps of .15, 2 strands of 1mm comes to 1.9 ohms. flavour is great. when dry the coils light up just about instantly on an ego instead of taking a couple of seconds like all my others. good vapour, decent TH. i'm sure it can be perfected but at least now I know what to do in the future.

I was wondering if the length of the was a factor as well, not just the overall resistance.. apparently it is

I had hoped to do away with variable voltage vaping entirely but I put my other a7 on an ego twist and god damn if the orange de sangre isn't better at 4v. might twist it up at home on one a7 and keep the other for venturing out into the wilderness of carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Drachnien

when you building a dual coil setup how the hell do you balance the resistance i mean do the two coils have to be exactly the same? I'm just confused as to why one doesn't take all the load an the other not get used. path of least resistance and all that.

Advertisement