Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broken support on a bed

• 07-07-2015 7:27pm

Hi

Not sure if this is the best forum but I guess its a wood issue.

The support beam on my bed broke, the lats are all fine but the support beam snapped.

Wondering is a replacement the only option or could it be patched up.

If a repair is required and I measure it up would it be possible to apply the fittings and attach a new one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could brace it with a couple of bits screwed in lengthwise, or support it with an extra leg screwed on perpendicularly, or replace it, but it probably has mortice/tenon ends

Sorry I should have posted the end part.

So with a replacement is it just a case of getting the measurements and being able to pick up a piece in a B&Q type store and changing or would you need to purchase a random piece and cut it as that's a bit beyond my means tools wise and skills wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OK, I think your easiest way is making an extra leg support

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Buy a 2.4m long 75x44mm or 89x38mm bit of timber, that is the length they sell them in. Cut it to 1.8m or what ever is the length of the bed rail. Buy 8 pieces of 5x60 or 5x70mm screws. The "5" part indicates the width if the thread, the 60 or 70mm bit indicates the length of the screw. Depending on the sum of the thickness of the two bits of timber, that will dictate the length of screw. You want them to be 5-10mm shorter then the sum of the thickness.
    Four screws evenly spread either side of the break will do. Bore 5-6mm holes where the screws will go in the new bit of timber, the holes may need to be higher up on the new bit so that the screws go go into the center of the original rail.
    Place the screws into the holes and screw them into the broken rail. Do not drill the original rail.
    Any questions just ask.

Either that or do you have a big pile of diy books to stick under it:0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You just need two scraps of plywood ( for strength ) - anything over 12mm will do. Cut to size. Use your car jack to straighten the rail and screw and glue on the patches. That's the cheapo cheapo option. At a push you can buy quarter sheets of ply from most of the DIY stores but its a bit wasteful. Otherwise post no #5 is spot on but you will of course need a cordless drill and a countersunk bit is a good idea.
    It obviously cracked due to the knot being in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

As already suggested, scab a piece of 19mm (3/4") plywood on each side, glue and screw in place and for a belt and braces job consider adding a mid support (leg), glued and screwed to the ply.

Advertisement