Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodshavings (general woodworking chat thread)

Comments

I've reached the point where I've just about given up pointing out how crap these machines are.

I'm of the firm opinion that people who buy them are ignorant and/or don't care that they're being almost entirely wasteful, buying chinese made crap that won't be enjoyable or safe to use and that will end up in landfill when they get sick of tripping over it on the shed or garage floor.

Let's face it, if you can't afford it or won't wait until you save an extra €100 to buy something with some chance of being useful, you should probably ask yourself if you need machines for woodworking in the first place.

Does that make me a snob? Well, no, it doesn't. It makes me a critically thinking adult with the ability to recognise that a lot of the shi*te being peddled by these chains is being targeted at impulse buyers who have no real reason or need to be buying them. Crap is crap. Most people don't need more crap, especially such junky chinese made tat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I watched a video of someone using one. You could see the tailstock bend as they tightened it up. Sounds like a bag of gravel too. It's a weird one, who would buy one? It's a very strange impulse purchase.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Impulse purchase of this type of machine starts off with the thought " Jayney I am getting

a woodturning lathe for little or nothing, I best get one quick before they are all gone"

by diyer's.

I would buy some aldi tools for one off uses, and then resign them to a shelf probably forever,

I think if you regard these tools in that manner then that makes you buy the better branded tools for prolonged use.

In other news, I got a serious bargain myself this week on a power tool.

Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Plus kit with systainer and about 20 various Festool sanding disks, in dusty but otherwise perfect condition...

€160 from an auction site. Came with original receipt, manual, copy of the (long expired) completed warranty paperwork etc.

Bargain. Bargain. Bargain. What a cracker of a tool.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

JayZeus wrote: »

Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Plus kit with systainer and about 20 various Festool sanding disks, in dusty but otherwise perfect condition...

€160 from an auction site. Came with original receipt, manual, copy of the (long expired) completed warranty paperwork etc.

Thats a better result than any aldi/lidl giveaway:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

amazing arnt they. serious power. have you a vacuum with variable speed. too much suck and that beast gets very rowdy

amazing arnt they. serious power. have you a vacuum with variable speed. too much suck and that beast gets very rowdy

Yeah, I splurged on a new CTL Midi I and the bluetooth remote in the summer.

Yeah, I splurged on a new CTL Midi I and the bluetooth remote in the summer.

oooo bluetooth remote you posh git. i love one

It's the only Festool tool I've bought brand new. I had the original version of the Midi and after a particularly frustrating weekend of assembly where I was drilling a pilot hole, firing up the vac to clear the hole, then driving a screw and rinse and repeating all weekend.. Well, I just gave in to temptation and bought the new model.

The great thing about Festool gear is that if you keep it clean it will lose almost no value. I sold a 15 year old TS55 in good clean condition for €380. It cost me €400 5 years ago. I replaced it with the latest REBQ version which cost me €430 used for a 3 year old model, but spotless, with a new 1400mm track. I could use it well, mind it and sell it in a couple of years for about the same as I paid for it. They're expensive to buy, but not at all expensive to own.

Even the original Midi sold for €400 and it was 7 years old. I paid €270 and gave it a clean, new filter and bags. I got the Midi I for €490 and another €50 for the remote. No brainer.

It's the only Festool tool I've bought brand new. I had the original version of the Midi and after a particularly frustrating weekend of assembly where I was drilling a pilot hole, firing up the vac to clear the hole, then driving a screw and rinse and repeating all weekend.. Well, I just gave in to temptation and bought the new model.

The great thing about Festool gear is that if you keep it clean it will lose almost no value. I sold a 15 year old TS55 in good clean condition for €380. It cost me €400 5 years ago. I replaced it with the latest REBQ version which cost me €430 used for a 3 year old model, but spotless, with a new 1400mm track. I could use it well, mind it and sell it in a couple of years for about the same as I paid for it. They're expensive to buy, but not at all expensive to own.

Even the original Midi sold for €400 and it was 7 years old. I paid €270 and gave it a clean, new filter and bags. I got the Midi I for €490 and another €50 for the remote. No brainer.

im tempted to sell my midi and ct22 and buy a 26 and new midi just for the remote

• Advertisement

im tempted to sell my midi and ct22 and buy a 26 and new midi just for the remote

I don't have the space for a larger CT myself, although I'd love to have the capacity alright.

I have a CTL-SYS which is like new and cost me next to nothing. I bought a pair from a kitchen fitter who just couldn't deal with the small size. I paid €280 for the pair and sold one for €230. The one I kept is basically like new as he'd bought two and realised quickly it was of limited use to him. He used the other for quick messy jobs so it was caked in dirt and plaster dust. He gave me a new filter and bags though, which was handy. Quick clean-up and it was sold an hour after advertised.

Anyway, I like this gear. It just works. And the dust collection has been a complete game changer for me. I find the CTL-SYS very useful to just leave it set up under the MFT-3 with the TS55 connected to it. Bags are cheap and quick to swap, making no mess. If they release a BT enabled version of that, I might be tempted to 'upgrade' it too, for the convenience.

Another smashing upgrade was fitting hosewrap with a Plug-It cable run with the original hose. Hassle and snag free and well worth the €15 or so from ebay.

I don't have the space for a larger CT myself, although I'd love to have the capacity alright.

I have a CTL-SYS which is like new and cost me next to nothing. I bought a pair from a kitchen fitter who just couldn't deal with the small size. I paid €280 for the pair and sold one for €230. The one I kept is basically like new as he'd bought two and realised quickly it was of limited use to him. He used the other for quick messy jobs so it was caked in dirt and plaster dust. He gave me a new filter and bags though, which was handy. Quick clean-up and it was sold an hour after advertised.

Anyway, I like this gear. It just works. And the dust collection has been a complete game changer for me. I find the CTL-SYS very useful to just leave it set up under the MFT-3 with the TS55 connected to it. Bags are cheap and quick to swap, making no mess. If they release a BT enabled version of that, I might be tempted to 'upgrade' it too, for the convenience.

Another smashing upgrade was fitting hosewrap with a Plug-It cable run with the original hose. Hassle and snag free and well worth the €15 or so from ebay.
    i have a plug it hose. its great
    i was going to get the sys vac but thought it would be too small. i have a dewalt 18v little one for small jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

was it on sale when you bought it or something? I just can't understand how someone would buy something for 20 quid less that retail with warranty.

iamtony wrote: »
    was it on sale when you bought it or something? I just can't understand how someone would buy something for 20 quid less that retail with warranty.

The TS55? I paid €400 for it in barely used condition. Sold it for €380 in lightly used condition.

A new TS55 with all the bits and pieces and a 1400mm track will set you back around €575-625.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Kind of a silly question but i have a belfast sink sitting in an iroko countertop. The sink isn't undermount and sitsjust a little high of being flush. I need to seal the gap between them but I cant figure out if ut should be white sealant to match the sink or brown sealant to match the countertop

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Does anyone know where I could get this doll house cut out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

seannash wrote: »
    Kind of a silly question but i have a belfast sink sitting in an iroko countertop. The sink isn't undermount and sitsjust a little high of being flush. I need to seal the gap between them but I cant figure out if ut should be white sealant to match the sink or brown sealant to match the countertop

Brown or clear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The TS55? I paid €400 for it in barely used condition. Sold it for €380 in lightly used condition.

A new TS55 with all the bits and pieces and a 1400mm track will set you back around €575-625.

Oh sorry I misread I thought you bought it new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OK, it's a metal lathe he's talking about here rather than a woodworking one, but a salient lesson in lathe safety nonetheless (if you want to spare ten minutes watching it)

the comments underneath it are good too. as someone points out, he has a sticker on the lathe saying 'this machine has no brain; use your own'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Well.
    I’m going to attempt the ‘Berry Stool’ from Nick Offerman’s book. I’ve larch for the top, spalted beech for the legs and black walnut for the wedges. All Irish grown.
    I’m just wondering, is the spalted beech strong enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I wouldn't use spalted beech for the legs on a stool, but if you are going too, try do some sort of strength test on it, cut the legs to there rough demsions, put them on the floor supported on each end, and stand on the centre of the leg, turn it 180 degrees and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I decided to try my hand at making chopping boards as christmas presents this year. One of the ones is an end grain brick pattern, it looked well but once i started sanding i noticed a very small gap between some of the pieces. I think i either messed up when using the thicknesser or during the glue up.

Just wondering is there any way to seal these small gaps? I'd be worried about using them for food as it could be somewhere bacteria would thrive.

As an aside, sanding end grain really is a pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

OAOB wrote: »
    I decided to try my hand at making chopping boards as christmas presents this year. One of the ones is an end grain brick pattern, it looked well but once i started sanding i noticed a very small gap between some of the pieces. I think i either messed up when using the thicknesser or during the glue up.

Just wondering is there any way to seal these small gaps? I'd be worried about using them for food as it could be somewhere bacteria would thrive.

Sanding down some of the wood used, then mixing same sanding dust with wood glue to make some filler would be what I would do, did this before with some oak and it worked well. Not sure how this would work on a chopping board, the glue would have to be waterproof, or maybe epoxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

OAOB wrote: »

Don't feel too bad - endgrain boards are notorious for moving and cracking at the joints.It helps to position them 'back to back' - a convex pattern in the grain facing together. For the gaps the best option is to make wedges with a feather edge ( very thin in other words ) and hammer in with a little PVA glue which is non toxic.I find a disc sander is the best tool to do this.

all i want for christmas is a heated shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Left it a bit late for this year. Could you move to Spain? - the Three Kings bring the gifts there, so there's still time for you to wish a bit harder! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

all i want for christmas is a heated shed.

It was too cold In the shed yday to pour some epoxy. So I brought the table into the house, infront of the stove and poured away.

i'll ask the wife which corner of the sitting room i can set the lathe up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Forgiveness is better than permission!

Advertisement