Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with hangovers? Christ I can't do it anymore

• 06-07-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

M/29

So close to saying F it to the drink because I can't face the hangovers.

I've friend who'd tell you they are grand and don't get them but jesus I be dying all the time and I only drink beer or guinness and don't drink spirits.

Went on the sess Saturday night from 7 30pm and finished up about 4am

Spent Sunday in a heap on the couch after waking at 1pm and couldnt sleep really at all last night, sweating, tossing and turning over all night with broken sleep.

Feel like crap all day today and only tomorrow will I feel somewhat normal.

I feel like I ruined my whole weekend (well Sunday) and wasted today after work because I'm still not right....

I don't know is it worth it at all, and now with the pubs opening and guidelines I'm half drinking of going off it

How do you manage get on? They just seem to be defeat me

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If you consume a lot of alcohol, you will get a hangover.

Keep hydrated, eat before bed, though nothing too salty. But sleep is the only way if you can.

How much did you drink that night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    If you consume a lot of alcohol, you will get a hangover.

Keep hydrated, eat before bed, though nothing too salty. But sleep is the only way if you can.

How much did you drink that night?

I would of had 4 pints of beer (the house had a keg installed) and 8 cans of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Diorolyte with a decent bit of water before bed is great. Hangovers are essentially dehydration and loss of salts, and diorolyte is specifically made to counteract those. I used to get them bad until I found it. You'll wake up around 8 needing a piss with a bit of a head but it'll be grand by midday. Solphadeine is another option for the following day if you're getting headaches. Try a few things anyway, most aren't going natural these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

wally1990 wrote: »
    I would of had 4 pints of beer (the house had a keg installed) and 8 cans of Guinness

I'd have the shirt off any man's back, and Maureen would have the fry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭mojesius

Take dioralyte before bed and when you wake up the next day.

Water throughout drinking session. Eat at some stage.

While pints contain less alcohol, there's a load of sugar in beer and you can end up necking back a lot more 'liquid' than on other drinks. Sugar makes you feel worse. I actually find that if I switch drinks to shorts (g&t, vodka soda water) I'm better the next day than if I stick to the same drink all night.

Also, try going out for a walk when you're dying with a hangover. Last thing you want to do I know, but you'll feel better afterwards. Or if you're lucky enough to live near the sea, best hangover cure is jumping into our cold Irish waters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I'd have the shirt of any man's back, and Maureen would have the fry on.

Bastards

mojesius wrote: »
    Take dioralyte before bed and when you wake up the next day.

Heard of this stuff.
    Where sells it please?

I just gave advice to not eat salty food, so that may have been totally wrong. Sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Heard of this stuff.
    Where sells it please?

I just gave advice to not eat salty food, so that may have been totally wrong. Sorry OP.

Any pharmacy will have it, the blackcurrant isn't bad.

It's made to replenish salts after a dose of the ****es but works great after a dose of the pints.

You're right in saying not to eat salty food, that's just one type of salt but this stuff has a number of salts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

I've used the diorolyte as well, rank stuff to drink it. If you can hold it down. Pint of water before bed and two Solpadeine would be my go to.
    Always eat before the Solpadeine wear off, otherwise the come down saps the energy and I end up back in the cot if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MikeBrosnan17

I heard not drinking too much is supposed to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I heard not drinking too much is supposed to help...

Pfft! Old wives tale that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Solpadine before bed but as per most things (putting on condom, locking door, remembering her name etc ) hard to arsed at the time

Truthvader wrote: »
    Solpadine

My dealer is out of it.
    Strange times and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

My dealer is out of it.
    Strange times and all.

But luckily the pubs are shut. Strange times etc etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Give the misses the debit card and tell her take the kids shopping or to get some food. You need peace and quite as the foundation of recovery. Sip water, it hard to reach over, put on some rocky music and pretend the water is Adrian.

Adrian, Adrian...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

It really depends on what you drink as well. I can drink a ton of spirits with diet mixer and the next day have a mild 'normal' hangover, to the extent that I can face the gym that afternoon and by the evening I'll be fine.

But if I drink a big rake of pints of cider, I always feel way worse the following day, and end up spending the day slouched around and suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stopped doing hangovers a long time ago. I am rarely in a pub, even pre-Covid, and any time I am I would have taken it slightly easier.

Sometimes you just have to accept you're too old for that lark.

If I do vodka all night, I'm usually ok. Seems to be the drink that agrees best with me. Just not mad on it though. Prefer whiskey or Guinness. But a fed of the former will give me a killer head in the morning, and a feed of the latter will ruin my guts!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ilovemuffin

5HTP supplements, fridge stocked with Lucozade or 7up, 'Soakage' like egg-fried rice or a nice kebab. During a drinking session, I snack on peanuts or sometimes pork scratchings (a UK thing that recently became popular in Ireland). Also: simple pacing of the intake of the lush is always good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

make up your own rehydration solution; sugar, salt and water. Diuralyte was developed as an emergency rehydrant for famine victims in Africa. Forget soakage or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Get up go for a run 30 minute run and have a cold shower when home then a nice fry. Hangover gone straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I don’t drink much and I think that’s why my hangovers are so bad when I do drink. I mean I have to mash my head into the pillow to get the headaches to stop. I think if your body is more use to alcohol your hangovers are not as bad. Mine are awful. Even after 4 beers I will be in an awful heap the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭worded

I used to suffer bad as well

Drink as much water as possible before you drink alcohol. If you drink alcohol for a thirst that's a disaster. Having lots of water first gives you a slow take off and a better night

Stick to the one drink

If possible drink bottles beer all night. I noticed on holidays I had light headaches on bottles and suspected draft is piss

You do need salty food imho

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Tiredness has a lot to do with hangovers aswell as everything else other people have mentioned. The night before you go on the beer you need a good sleep and feel rested, go on the beer while your tired your going to feel 100 times worse the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Who remembers to drink water before bed after a lock of pints, all I ever want to do is go straight to bed, I never seem to drink water even tho I always say I will.

I find drinking something like vodka and diet 7 up instead of pints reduces the hangover considerably, I think the biggest thing with pints is the volume of stuff you're asking the body to process in a short space of time, 12 or 14 pints in 4 or 5 hours puts a lot of pressure on the system

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

Truthvader wrote: »
    Solpadine before bed but as per most things ( putting on condom, locking door, remembering her name etc) hard to arsed at the time

OP is asking for advice on hangovers, not rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭phildub

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Diorolyte with a decent bit of water before bed is great. Hangovers are essentially dehydration and loss of salts, and diorolyte is specifically made to counteract those. I used to get them bad until I found it. You'll wake up around 8 needing a piss with a bit of a head but it'll be grand by midday. Solphadeine is another option for the following day if you're getting headaches. Try a few things anyway, most aren't going natural these days

I concur with this, I think its essential part of the hangover cure to take disrepute before bed and again in the am, same with solphadeine, the second u wake at all get up and into a shower and get out of the house, staying in bed is the absolute worst thing for a hangover, ur just sitting there absolutely disgusted with yourself all day and its doing you no favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Aha, 14 pints in 4 hours, you must be some lad for the sesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Not staying out late helps. We do daytime drinking now (well, we did before covid) and we'd have a rake of pints. And I mean a rake of pints. The type of numbers you'd tell your father because you'd make him proud but not tell your mother or wife because they'd disown then kill you. And we'd be fine next day because we went out at 2 pm and were wrapped up asleep at or before midnight.
    During covid we started doing houseparty and zoom drinking online nonsense and they often went on late, 3 and 4 a.m. and by christ you'd be in a jock the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

T'is an oldie but a goodie for a reason, because it works.

Drink water.

It's that simple. They say drink a pint of water or so with every pint for beer but tbh that's not really practical. You do be going for a slash every 20 mins with beer alone once you've broken the proverbial seal.
    I tend to wait til I'm at least tipsy. If you can get the balance right you can actually have better craic because you can stave off the blackout mouldy drunkeness and stay in the fun zone. Just make sure you empty your bladder before you pass out, where ever that may be.

Advertisement