Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Really is an excellent book.
    What Eric see's in the hospital literally made me shiver for about a week thinking about it, the only book that has shaken me up like that

Read Crow Road but that's it from Ian Banks, anyone recommend others?

Jesus christ, I nearly threw up when I read that :eek:

A "spoiler free" review managed to spoil the whole
    Frank being a girl
    thing for me though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Speaking of Ian Banks, im just about to start Consider Phleabus which im looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

2666, Roberto Bolano. Only read a little bit of it so far but already its gripped me just like The Savage Detectives!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

The Privileges by Jonathan Dee. Anyone reading it? What do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Currently reading The Great Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. Getting through it very slowly, read it for a few days in a row but then leave it for a week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Just finished reading the "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult and I really liked it, a very sad book I cried loads!

Up next I am either going to read Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult or "Rock and a Hard Place" by Stephen j. Martin. Not sure yet both were recommended to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I FINALLY finished The Stand last night. Great book but a bit to dragged out. Starting Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys now. I loved American Gods & Neverwhere so i expect this to another great colourfull funny read.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

We just read "Neverwhere" for the Book Club. Thanks for letting me know about other Neil Gaiman books, I might try them.

I love "The Stand" and Stephen King.

Today I started "When Will There Be Good News?" by Kate Atkinson. I recently read "One Good Turn" by the same author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Currently reading The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. Cave's a lyrical genius and one of my favourite songwriters, so I was very excited about reading this. So far, a tad underwhelmed but there are still traces of his trademark black humour and his excellent way with words to keep me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Currently reading The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. Cave's a lyrical genius and one of my favourite songwriters, so I was very excited about reading this. So far, a tad underwhelmed but there are still traces of his trademark black humour and his excellent way with words to keep me interested.

I thought the book was hilarious! His Avril Lavigne references had me in stitches. For a more serious and arguably better read check out ' And the ass saw the angel'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I thought the book was hilarious! His Avril Lavigne references had me in stitches. For a more serious and arguably better read check out ' And the ass saw the angel'.

Well I couldn't sleep last night and spent ages reading and have almost finished the book now. It did get a lot better once
    Bunny and his son hit the road
    so I am quite liking it now.

Although I do think he overdoes the
    explicit descriptions of every single female character - I am no way prudish but it gets rather tedious after a small while. I guess it's just emphasising what a twisted pervert Bunny is though!
    :p

And I will definitely get And The Ass Saw The Angel at some point, I just happened to come across Bunny Munro first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Woohoo, finally finished Melmoth the Wanderer! Still reading The Family That Couldn't Sleep and just started The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. All easy-going for the moment! :)

I just started "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I'm still also half way through the Kate Atkinson book, "When will there be good news?"

I also started a biography, "Linda McCartney" by Danny Fields.

Which one will I get to finish first???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Currently reading The Elegance Of The Hedgehog. I'm about half-way through and it's been a thoroughly good read so far, the two protagonists are very astute and insightful.

I recommend it to anyone of a philosophical bent.

Just finished At Swim Two Birds. LOVED IT. It was nowhere near as confusing as I thought it would be though. Had no problems following it.
    I will definitely give it a reread in the future.

Up next; Memoirs of a Geisha.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Just back from a weeks holidays, read two books - 'Broken' by Karin Slaughter, it was ok, not one of her best in my opinion. I also read 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, I enjoyed this, a good story with strong characters. I would recommend it.

Now I've just started 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. I couldn't ignore the hype anymore so I have decided to check it out for myself. Initial reaction - 1st couple of chapters a little tedious, wasn't sure if it was really a book I'd enjoy, however just past the 5th chapter now and it's getting more interesting, looking forward to how it will progress.
    Will I follow on with the other two books? Time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm officially the last person in the world to read the Millennium trilogy, I'm on book 2 now - having flown through the first book on holiday last week.

Nice easy read, and characters which are easy to form opinions about - pity the chap died, as Im sure he would be rolling in it now..

I'm officially the last person in the world to read the Millennium trilogy, I'm on book 2 now - having flown through the first book on holiday last week.

No you're not :p

Dad got a copy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for his birthday, so I might take a gander if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

On chapter 4,enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

On friday i read 'hard evidence' by mark pearson
    On saturday i read 'blood work' by mark pearson
    Sunday i read ' death row' by mark pearson

On monday i started reading the girl with the dragon tattoo and im loving it, im just over half way through. would you believe im painting my house at the same time and reading to relax. I keep getting a pinched nerve in my elbow from reading in bed.

Im trying to get broken on ebook but not available yet from whsmith and waterstones.

• Advertisement

I'm half-way through "The Pirate's Daughter" by Margaret Cezaair-Thompson, and about 150 pages into "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I'm going to try to finish the shorter book first before I continue with "The passage".

I get uncomfortable having unread books around which I have started, so I prefer to read them as soon as possible.

The Passage is very good, though, recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 karenjlwalker

Mink wrote: »
    The Devil Wears Prada by Laura Weisberger.

It's actually fairly good. It's a very light read but it moves at a good pace & it's funny & satirical. Would be good for airplane, in bed ill or on a beach. Enojoying it quite a bit. I'd seen the movie first & wasn't pushed either way on reading the book but I'm glad I am now.

I, like you, had actually read the book after I had seen the film, but really enjoyed it still and because it followed a pretty predictable story line anyway, it didn't take anything away from the book knowing what was going to happen. I passed it round my office after and all the girls seemed to really enjoy it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

The Castle by Kafka.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

finished the girl with the dragon tattoo and just downloaded

the girl who played with fire and
    the girl who kicked the hornets nest

its the best x mas present i ever got my beloved e-reader no more trips to the shops just click and i have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I'm still reading Wolf Hall. I'm about 2/3s of the way through. It seems to take forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Having given up on two books in the last few days(see the last book couldnt finish thread :)), Paddy Samurai's post up above reminded my that i havent read some good fantasy in awhile. Fantasy used to be my thing....wheel of time, farseer trilogy, riftwar saga etc etc. So i decide to go back & give Steven Ericsson's Gardens of the Moon another stab having abandoned that years ago. I have to say i dunno why i put it down. Maybe it took reading of the likes of A Song of Ice & Fire in the last couple of years to get me to appreciate the more complicated darker stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Starting book 8 of jim butcher dresden files series,"proven guilty"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Currently re-reading House of Leaves. As always, the weird dreams kicked in after a couple of chapters. I love it when a book affects me that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

I'm still reading Wolf Hall. I'm about 2/3s of the way through. It seems to take forever!

I'm reading it too, but you make it sound tedious, Whippersnapper. Not at all - I'm enjoying it. Another good novel based on H8 is The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George - written "in his own words", it tries to give his side of a facinating story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I bought a couple of classics in town the other day so I started reading Emma by Jane Austen lastnight. I am really liking it, not sure what to read afterwards but really excited to get stuck in.

Advertisement