Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Series of WDYTYA - Thurs 7th Aug, BBC1

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finally watched Thursday's episode - its very oddly put together to say the least; but they did show some of the kind of work we're used to having to do here (the newspapers and directories) in lieu of better records.

I also have to wonder how someone that emotional is able to act on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Mary Berry. Sad family story. Great episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Much better genealogy. Very touching considering Mary's own tribulations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, agree with Jellybaby1 - a real episode about genealogy showing different records. No history of banjos or ice-cream making to waste time.

Perhaps they are scrapping the barrel after 10 seasons - this episode showed they can still come up with the goods.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The issue is trying to find "famous" people with interesting stories more than finding interesting stories - as someone who's worked in TV / 'the media' for too long on a few occasions (five minutes is too long!) the banjo and the ice-cream would be fairly interesting - as someone interested in genealogy they're pointless.

It may be an idea to give it a year break like was done between S1 and S2 to wait for the wheel of fame to roll a few more people up towards the top. We already can see that in some cases they really do already know the "amazing revelations" - there's people who have the family tree nicely printed off in the first five minutes - but its about making good TV in the end.

If it was solely about showing hard genealogy there'd be an unending stream of celebs - anyone Irish would be a start; and if it was solely about interesting stories there's countless members of the public - we've seen some very interesting stuff on here and I'd say most of us have found some dirt or quirks too; but neither of those alone sell.

• Advertisement

Finally finished watching last weeks episode - I see the "do what your ancestors did" sub-theme must be here to stay!

I enjoyed the Martin Shaw episode very much. He seemed like a really nice man.

I unfortunately missed the end of Reggie Yates but got enough to keep me interested. An unexpected eye-opener for Yates, but I would say the British authorities knew exactly what was going on at the time they wouldn't accept his grandfather's marriage credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Martin Shaw episode very much. He seemed like a really nice man.

As did I, really good show.

Good episode showing both the value and the risks (all the wrong names) of talking to those who were there when you still can.

Surprised he wasn't made sell fruit though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mixed last episode. That stuff about the Indian massacre was very hard to hear.
    While the repeated Indian connection was interesting, I did think there would be something amazing - given that it was the last episode and the 100th.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Mixed last episode. That stuff about the Indian massacre was very hard to hear.
    While the repeated Indian connection was interesting, I did think there would be something amazing - given that it was the last episode and the 100th.

It's not the last episode. Twiggy is on next week and that'll be the 100th.

I liked tonights. Went on a totally different road than expected and was really enjoyable because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Agreed Pinky. To be kind it was quite disappointing. The entire program concentrated on one individual, a great great great grandfather, so we are talking about one of sixteen individuals in that generation, skipping all those who came between. The Irish connection, clearly very strong, could have been explored at least a little, the lack of balance was very evident. The series should be given a rest, a decision made as to what it is supposed to be. It was a depressing show, not even mildly entertaining, the Big Yin did not even try to be funny, and sad to see him looking so ill. 'Plain Tales from the Raj' by Charles Allan is a great read on that era in India.

I wanted them to go to Hollywood in Co. Wicklow and chase up baptism records. The history in India was important to know, but not for genealogy. I had a funny feeling he was going to find mixed race somewhere, it usually turned up with soldiers so far away from home and for many many years. Wasn't it unusual to actually get to read medical records? Just try and get medical records of any patient in this country, darn impossible. I did feel that was intrusive though, do you really want your g.g.grandfather's sexual disease discussed on national television? Dear me, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Wasn't it unusual to actually get to read medical records? Just try and get medical records of any patient in this country, darn impossible.

Very unusual but for me, and no doubt Billy, fascinating. I had a great-great-grandfather in India in the British Army at the same time. I have some of his official docs but no medical record. I'd love to get my hands on it! I wonder was that for Billy's ancestor at Kew or in India or maybe in a regimental museum? I'll have to do some research and find out.

I found the Billy Connolly episode a bit difficult to get in to although I might have been distracted by something else. Twiggy episode had the suitable amount of depressing/shocking content for a final episode in the series.

I see they've now started doing the series in South Africa which could lead to some very interesting content - unfortunately I haven't got a clue who any of the celebrities are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

MYOB wrote: »
    I see they've now started doing the series in South Africa which could lead to some very interesting content - unfortunately I haven't got a clue who any of the celebrities are!
    Well, there's Oscar Pistorius. He could give an honest, shoot from the hip, version of his family history. That should generate a captive audience.

Advertisement