Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Is the real origin of the surname Miskimmins

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Aw well then that changes things I will see if I can find anything there because there's no use looking at carrickfergus... One question why are all of the miskimmins church of Ireland when Scottish planters should be presbyterian do you know? Mines were too

Hi just been on proni and found stuff already you'll probably deny it but it's possibly a relative:

John cumin
    Worked in yeomanry
    From ballytaylor county Antrim which is just outside Ballyclare
    Date is 1685
    This is a will

Funnily enough mines was a John cumin but he changed his spelling

That's all I could find I'll try and find more it's not of any use but at least it's something

Are you sure you aren't related to these folks?

John Cumming Compact Disc #133 Pin #3282301 Pedigree
    Sex: M
    Event(s)
    Birth: 22 Oct 1642
    Liberton, Midlothain, Scotland
    Christening:
    Death: 1703
    Carnmoney, Antrim, Ireland
    Burial:

Edmund Cumming Compact Disc #133 Pin #3282302 Pedigree
    Event(s)
    Birth: 1616
    Christening:
    Death: 1680
    Burial:

Charles Cumming Compact Disc #133 Pin #3282299 Pedigree
    Event(s)
    Birth: 1673
    Dublin, Ireland
    Christening:
    Dublin, Ireland
    Death: 1734
    Burial:

It looks as though they came over as a family, now i know theres ones from dublin but perhaps your ones were cousins of them or something? You have to be related to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 barbarax

owenc wrote: »
    Are you sure you aren't related to these folks?

John Cumming Compact Disc #133 Pin #3282301 Pedigree
    Event(s)
    Birth: 22 Oct 1642
    Christening:
    Death: 1703
    Burial:

Edmund Cumming Compact Disc #133 Pin #3282302 Pedigree
    Event(s)
    Birth: 1616
    Christening:
    Death: 1680
    Burial:

Charles Cumming Compact Disc #133 Pin #3282299 Pedigree
    Event(s)
    Birth: 1673
    Dublin, Ireland
    Christening:
    Dublin, Ireland
    Death: 1734
    Burial:

It looks as though they came over as a family, now i know theres ones from dublin but perhaps your ones were cousins of them or something? You have to be related to them!
    Owen where did you get these records from:confused:

Familysearch after extensive research which involves different spellings of surnames

• Advertisement

Familysearch after extensive research which involves different spellings of surnames
    w

Here you go Owen now you know your really a Miskimmin:D

(48) 26 Jul 1797 Anthony Skimming alias Cummin - Tenant in Culmalzie had a daughter born to him by his wife Nicolas Hanna and Baptised 26th day of the same month named Nanny - Born 16th July
    (65) 25 Dec 1797 Willian Skimming alias Cummin - Cartwright in Newton had a son born to him by his wife Susan McGill and Baptised the 29th of the month named James
    <big<sloan< big="">(100) 08 May 1799 Anthony Skimming alias Cumming - Tenant in Culmabrien had a son born to him by his wife Nicolas Hannay and Baptised on the 8th day of the same month named Hugh</big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">(121) 04 Jan 1800 William Cummin - Cartwright in Newton of Baldoon had a son born to him by his wife Susan McGill and Baptised on the 4th named William </big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">(146) 09 Feb 1801 Anthony Skimming - Tenant in Culmabrien has a son born to him by his wife Nicolas Hannay and Baptised on the 9th of the same month named Robert
    [Birth 05 Feb 1801 - Baptised 09 Feb 1801 - Death 20 Aug 1803] </big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">(156) July 1801 Mary Skimming brought forth a natural daughter not yet acknowledged by any Father, the child is Baptised Margaret. Father being Sponsor. </big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">194) 03 Nov 1802 William Skimming - Cartwright in Newton of Baldoon had twins son and a daughter born to him by his wife Susanna MacGill and Baptised the same day the son named James; the daughter named Jean</big<sloan<>
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wghannay/kirkinner5.html

barbarax wrote: »
    w

Here you go Owen now you know your really a Miskimmin:D

(48) 26 Jul 1797 Anthony Skimming alias Cummin - Tenant in Culmalzie had a daughter born to him by his wife Nicolas Hanna and Baptised 26th day of the same month named Nanny - Born 16th July
    (65) 25 Dec 1797 Willian Skimming alias Cummin - Cartwright in Newton had a son born to him by his wife Susan McGill and Baptised the 29th of the month named James
    <big<sloan< big="">(100) 08 May 1799 Anthony Skimming alias Cumming - Tenant in Culmabrien had a son born to him by his wife Nicolas Hannay and Baptised on the 8th day of the same month named Hugh</big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">(121) 04 Jan 1800 William Cummin - Cartwright in Newton of Baldoon had a son born to him by his wife Susan McGill and Baptised on the 4th named William </big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">(146) 09 Feb 1801 Anthony Skimming - Tenant in Culmabrien has a son born to him by his wife Nicolas Hannay and Baptised on the 9th of the same month named Robert
    [Birth 05 Feb 1801 - Baptised 09 Feb 1801 - Death 20 Aug 1803] </big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">(156) July 1801 Mary Skimming brought forth a natural daughter not yet acknowledged by any Father, the child is Baptised Margaret. Father being Sponsor. </big<sloan<>
    <big<sloan< big="">194) 03 Nov 1802 William Skimming - Cartwright in Newton of Baldoon had twins son and a daughter born to him by his wife Susanna MacGill and Baptised the same day the son named James; the daughter named Jean</big<sloan<>
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wghannay/kirkinner5.html

Well i'm still cummins because the name was cummin (highlighted) in scotland before changing to miskimmins which is were i guess they got the cummins out of. But what is this i can't really understand this is this your family tree or something? I see mcwilliams there too!

Well i'm still cummins because the name was cummin (highlighted) in scotland before changing to miskimmins which is were i guess they got the cummins out of. But what is this i can't really understand this is this your family tree or something? I see mcwilliams there too!

No I was looking at some sites and came across this it is records of births and marriages thought you would find it interesting seeing the Skimmings was alias cummin. Did you go to the site from the address at the bottom there is a lot more on it
    ;)

barbarax wrote: »
    No I was looking at some sites and came across this it is records of births and marriages thought you would find it interesting seeing the Skimmings was alias cummin. Did you go to the site from the address at the bottom there is a lot more on it
    ;)

Yep i seen that below thank you very much,but unfortunately it is not useful because my folks came in the 1620s i think the only thing i can do is look at estate records and land records and if that fails then look at dna testing. Apparently it is very good. Yes i also know that, that is were i made the connection. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chris_M

As a Miskimmin who can trace his line back to the 18th Century in NI, just thought I'd pop in and say hi!

• Advertisement

Chris_M wrote: »
    As a Miskimmin who can trace his line back to the 17th Century in NI, just thought I'd pop in and say hi!

Hi i got your pm i'll just answer you on here because barbarax is from there (idk if you know her). I have got mine back to 1730 pretty detailed but i cannot get past that.. How far have you got back to?..and i'm interested how you possibly did that? Did you trace it back to scotland?

Oh and my miskimmins are not from donaghdee they are from the north coast (coleraine)

Hi

To be honest I didn't do any of the work tracing my line back, a few years ago i came across a similar thread elsewhere while researching the tree.
    This led to a contact in Canada, a lovely lady called Emily who actually supplied all the info above after I confirmed some dates regarding my Grandfather and his brothers.

Added: Emily had quite a lot more info regarding the tree but I was content with keeping it a direct line, should really have got the info anyway. Maybe time to make contact again.

Chris_M wrote: »
    Hi

To be honest I didn't do any of the work tracing my line back, a few years ago i came across a similar thread elsewhere while researching the tree.
    This led to a contact in Canada, a lovely lady called Emily who actually supplied all the info above after I confirmed some dates regarding my Grandfather and his brothers.

Ok i see. Well my branch was miskimmin and then it changed its not miskimmin anymore. Where is your branch living? Its awful the way i can get back to 1730 but no further i've tried everything. I think we either originate in wigtownshire or kirkcudbrightshire but i'm not sure. There is a similar spelling over there called skimming or something,i don't know where this mis thing is coming out of though. What was the thread i've never seen it?

The thread that got me started has long been forgotten I'm afraid but possibly was through Ancestry Online??. I'm aware that before the 1700's we probably come from somewhere in Scotland, 'Sons of Comyn/ Miskimmin'.
    Being aware of the fact the the original research was carried out by someone who has a lot more knowledge in these matters than myself, I came to the conclusion that if that is as far as they can go, then I have no chance of going further back.

Yes I believe so I think the only way to find out is to do one of them DNA tests.. Where is your branch living Belfast? I also think that looking at estate records is worth it I don't know if I'd find something but it's worth a try at least I know who to look for (found a man john kimyn in the 1630 muster roll in Coleraine)

I still have family in Donaghadee but am not in contact with them. The last time I was there was approx, 1980 with my Grandfather. I've been a Londoner all my life.

Oh your English i thought you were from here.. Ill have to keep trying I'm going to look at the estate records eventually.. Was your miskimmins Anglican or Presbyterian?

After just reading the previous 11 pages I think I'd prefer to leave the religion out of it.:)

Hi its looks like i've discovered another flipping branch of us in county londonderry AGAIN. Look at this:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Coleraine/Taylors_Row/1519056/

and this:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Coleraine/Taylors_Row/1519052/

i didn't even know any of us were actually known as miskimmins at this time i thought that the name change had long gone in the 1800s. I didn't even know these ones exsisted so its a surprise. No one in my family has ever mentioned them and my parents don't know them so its quite a shock. Maybe they are extinct. There is a woman researching them.

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.ireland.ldy.general/7985.1/mb.ashx

and she seems to be related to them but i can't find her email so can somebody tell me how to find her email so i can get in contact with her to see who these ones are. (these should be exciting i love finding new brances!!) Its weird because i can't find them in the 1864 census and i can't find them anywhere else.

• Advertisement

:D:D
    James
    MCSKIMMINS
    Jane
    DICKEY
    Robert
    MCTIER
    Jane W
    MCSKELLY
    William
    MCSKIMIN
    Ellenor
    WISNOM
    Lawrence
    MCSKEAN
    Anne
    TREANOR
    Samuel
    MCSKIMMINGS
    Jane
    STRAIN
    Andrew
    MCSKIE
    Mary Ann
    CARSON
    Thomas
    KINLEY
    Essy
    MCSKIMMONS
    James
    MCSKIMMON
    Nancy
    PATTERSON

ecord Type
    Parish Baptism
    Date of Birth
    8 Jul 1851
    Name
    Esther Jane MCSKIMMING
    Fathers Name
    John MCSKIMMING
    Mothers Forenames
    Jane
    Mothers Maiden Name
    MCROBERTS
    Date of Baptism
    10 Aug 1851
    Church
    Strabane First Presbyterian Church
    Civil District
    Strabane
    County
    Tyrone
    Residence
    Strabane

Record Type
    Parish Baptism
    Date of Birth
    6 Dec 1853
    Name
    Elizabeth MCSKIMMON
    Fathers Name
    John MCSKIMMON
    Mothers Forenames
    Jane
    Mothers Maiden Name
    MCROBERTS
    Date of Baptism
    21 Apr 1854
    Church
    Strabane First Presbyterian Church
    Civil District
    Strabane
    County
    Tyrone
    Residence
    Strabane

Record Type
    Civil Birth
    Date of Birth
    13 Aug 1869
    Name
    Eliza Jane MCSKIMINS
    Fathers Name
    George MCSKIMINS
    Mothers Forenames
    Eliza Jane
    Mothers Maiden Name
    SELFRIDGE
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    Sub District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Civil Birth
    Date of Birth
    21 Mar 1874
    Name
    Maria Selfridge MCSKIMMINS
    Fathers Name
    George MCSKIMMINS
    Mothers Forenames
    Eliza Jane
    Mothers Maiden Name
    SELFRIDGE
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    Sub District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Parish Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    24 Aug 1835
    Groom Name
    Thomas MISKEMMON
    Bride Name
    Anne HAGERTY
    Church
    Bellarena Roman Catholic Church
    Parish
    Magilligan
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Parish Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    21 Apr 1835
    Groom Name
    Samuel CANNING
    Bride Name
    Jane MISKIMMON
    Church
    Bellarena Roman Catholic Church
    Parish
    Magilligan
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Parish Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    30 Dec 1747
    Groom Name
    Samuel MISKIMMIN
    Bride Name
    Susanna DOUGAN
    Church
    Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland
    Parish
    Magilligan
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    5 Jun 1846
    Groom Name
    Richard MISKIMON
    Bride Name
    Catherine GEOGHAGAN
    Church
    Banbridge Civil Registrars Office
    Parish
    Seapatrick
    Civil District
    Banbridge
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    9 Jan 1847
    Groom Name
    John MISKIMMONS
    Bride Name
    Ruth PERSON
    Church
    Banbridge Civil Registrars Office
    Parish
    Seapatrick
    Civil District
    Banbridge
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    27 Sep 1847
    Groom Name
    Joseph CUNNINGHAM
    Bride Name
    Janet MISKIMMING
    Church
    Ballylinny Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Ballylinny
    Civil District
    Antrim
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    25 May 1849
    Groom Name
    Alexander MISKIMMINS
    Bride Name
    Isabella CRANE
    Church
    Dromore Second Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Dromore
    Civil District
    Banbridge
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    13 Mar 1851
    Groom Name
    Robert ERWIN
    Bride Name
    Margaret MISKIMMONS
    Church
    Parish
    Dromore
    Civil District
    Banbridge
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    17 Dec 1851
    Groom Name
    David MISKIMIN
    Bride Name
    Mary JAMISON
    Church
    Killinchy Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Killinchy
    Civil District
    Newtownards
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    4 Sep 1854
    Groom Name
    John JACKSON
    Bride Name
    Jane MISKIMMINS
    Church
    Ballynahinch Third Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Magheradrool
    Civil District
    Downpatrick
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    31 Dec 1855
    Groom Name
    Robert MASSEY
    Bride Name
    Eliza MISKIMMINS
    Church
    Ballynahinch Third Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Magheradrool
    Civil District
    Downpatrick
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    5 Nov 1858
    Groom Name
    James GOOLEY
    Bride Name
    Eliza MISKIMMINS
    Church
    Parish
    Dromore
    Civil District
    Banbridge
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    9 Feb 1860
    Groom Name
    Robert MISKIMMONS
    Bride Name
    Eliza Jane BELL
    Church
    Saintfield Second Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Saintfield
    Civil District
    Downpatrick
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    24 May 1862
    Groom Name
    David SYMINGTON
    Bride Name
    Mary MISKIMIN
    Church
    Whiteabbey Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Carnmoney
    Civil District
    Belfast
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    9 Apr 1863
    Groom Name
    James MISKIMIN
    Bride Name
    Margaret PERRY
    Church
    Dunboe First Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Dunboe
    Civil District
    Coleraine
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    21 May 1864
    Groom Name
    Alexander MCMULLAN
    Bride Name
    Ellen MISKIMMIN
    Church
    Joymount Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Carrickfergus
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    20 Apr 1865
    Groom Name
    Hugh KANE
    Bride Name
    Margaret MISKIMMINS
    Church
    Limavady Roman Catholic Church
    Parish
    Drumachose
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    27 Jul 1867
    Groom Name
    William PRESTON
    Bride Name
    Susan MISKIMMON
    Church
    Newry Civil Registrars Office
    Parish
    Newry
    Civil District
    Newry
    County
    Armagh / Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    2 Jan 1868
    Groom Name
    Archibald WATSON
    Bride Name
    Mary MISKIMMIN
    Church
    Parish
    Carrickfergus
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    1 Nov 1870
    Groom Name
    John MISKIMMIN
    Bride Name
    Eliza HERON
    Church
    Raffrey Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Killinchy
    Civil District
    Downpatrick
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    10 Jan 1871
    Groom Name
    James MCALISTER
    Bride Name
    Ellen MISKIMIN
    Church
    Saint Nicholas Church of Ireland
    Parish
    Carrickfergus
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    27 Aug 1872
    Groom Name
    James Jamison MISKIMMON
    Bride Name
    Lydia Jane THOMPSON
    Church
    Carryduff Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Drumbo
    Civil District
    Lisburn
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    14 Jul 1876
    Groom Name
    William John SAVAGE
    Bride Name
    Ellen Jane MISKIMMINS
    Church
    Saint Nicholas Church of Ireland
    Parish
    Carrickfergus
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    2 Mar 1877
    Groom Name
    David MISKIMMIN
    Bride Name
    Anna Bella WOODS
    Church
    Saintfield Second Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Saintfield
    Civil District
    Downpatrick
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    18 Apr 1878
    Groom Name
    William ANDERSON
    Bride Name
    Jane MISKIMMON
    Church
    Parish
    Carrickfergus
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Birth
    Date of Birth
    23 Jun 1868
    Name
    Joseph MISKIMMIN
    Fathers Name
    James MISKIMMIN
    Mothers Forenames
    Mary Ellen
    Mothers Maiden Name
    MCMILLIAN
    Civil District
    Larne
    Sub District
    Carrickfergus
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Birth
    Date of Birth
    2 Feb 1870
    Name
    Mary MISKIMMON
    Fathers Name
    William MISKIMMON
    Mothers Forenames
    Jane
    Mothers Maiden Name
    JOHNSTONE
    Civil District
    Larne
    Sub District
    Carrickfergus
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    12 Apr 1887
    Groom Name
    James MCSKIMMON
    Bride Name
    Nancy PATTERSON
    Church
    Larne and Inver Church of Ireland
    Parish
    Inver
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    17 Dec 1851
    Groom Name
    David MISKIMIN
    Bride Name
    Mary JAMISON
    Church
    Killinchy Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Killinchy
    Civil District
    Newtownards
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    25 Nov 1853
    Groom Name
    Samuel SKIMINS
    Bride Name
    Margaret CRAWLEY
    Church
    Larne Civil Registrars Office
    Parish
    Larne
    Civil District
    Larne
    County
    Antrim

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    13 Mar 1849
    Groom Name
    William MASKIMON
    Bride Name
    Martha WILSON
    Church
    Newmills Presbyterian Church
    Parish
    Tullylish
    Civil District
    Lurgan
    County
    Down

Record Type
    Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage
    18 Nov 1872
    Groom Name
    Joseph MISKIMMONS
    Bride Name
    Ellen LOUGUE
    Church
    Tamlaght Finlagan Church of Ireland
    Parish
    Tamlaght Finlagan
    Civil District
    Newtown Limavady
    County
    Londonderry
    Top of Form

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Barbara/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.gif[/IMG]
    Bottom of Form

Hii thx for that got more info now. Hopefully we can all get back further eventually

Hi great news! My dad was talking about the tree to his aunt and she said her granda who was born in the 1800s that his gggg grandfather cane from Scotland in the mid 1600s.. This is great Now no more research because my theory was proved! It's a pity she didn't know his name..

Hi great news! My dad was talking about the tree to his aunt and she said her granda who was born in the 1800s that his gggg grandfather cane from Scotland in the mid 1600s.. This is great Now no more research because my theory was proved! It's a pity she didn't know his name..

That's not proof, my mother told me the same thing all it means is they came over during the plantation, afraid you are going to have to keep up the research and get definite proof:p

Ano but this is from the 1800s so obviously it was passed through the centuries we are obviously ulster scots anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DaleH

What an interesting conversation to read, can I throw some thing else into your research. I think I have an Australian Connection My G/G/G/Grand mother is/was a Skimmon/Skimin she married a Heron and I believe they come from Donaghadee Co.Down, linked into this Family is a Hugh Miskimmon b1795 who may have married a Jane Taylor and they had a son called Hugh also b1820 and he married Elizabeth Hastings. they are all linked into the Sailing occupations.

I can not find any information about this family of Letitia Mary Skimin/Skimmon or her husband John Heron/Herron I know that Letitia's Father is George Skimin and her Mother is Mary Smith and George's parents could possibly be George Skimin and Janet Thompson another link I have is that Mary Herron married Hugh Skimin

Barbara you mentioned that you live in Donaghadee, is there any possible way of finding out more of this family mystery.

Cheers
    Dale

Hi Dale

We have been in contact before, unfortunately I still haven't found out any more on the Letitia Skimin
    barbara:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

Hello Owen C.

I am a gt gt gt gt grandchild of George Cummings & Elizabeth Taylor Ballycarton. Therefore I think we may have a connection. I would like to find any further information on the above if you have any. Thank you.

Hello Owen C.

I am a gt gt gt gt grandchild of George Cummings & Elizabeth Taylor Ballycarton. Therefore I think we may have a connection. I would like to find any further information on the above if you have any. Thank you.

Hello. Nice to meet you. Sorry I havent been on this site for over a year and im not quite sure youll see this message. What imformation would you like to collect?

I have not got any data on the cummings family. But I do think there is a connection with the closeness and similarity. Where that connection is im not sure but id love to find that out.

All I know is that my ggg grandfather moved to dunboe area in the early 1800s from magilliian and my gg grandfather (from coleraine area) was baptised in magilligan presbyterian. So from that I can only assume my ggg grandfather was baptised there too or else up in tamlaghtard.

There are a few connections in 1700s in the tamlaghtard coi but i cannot find any links. The earliest i can find is a marriage of samuel miskimmin in 1740. But no connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CummingsMiskimmons

I don't know If any of you are still about or if I'll be finding you on ancestry.com 😆 but a bit of info for you.

Liam Cummings from Derry City that has been mentioned would be a cousin of my mothers and MY uncle Liam Cummings from Limavady, Co.Derry.

Our family have went by Cummings since my GGrandfather maybe further but before that they where known by MisKimmins(some spelling like that, you know what censuses were like in the 1800's)

The reason for the name change was to do with shame, a girl in the family had a child out of wedlock and left the baby on a train. As you can imagine thus brought a lot of shame and guilt on the family. They then changed their name to Cummings, I don't know of ANY Cummings now that identify as anything but Irish Catholics(Though we where Planters from Scotland), I don't know why but you(Owen) seem to have am issue with Irish Catholics, I hope it doesn't ANNOY you too much to know you have Catholic relatives.

Advertisement