Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats this and is it worth anything?

• 20-09-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

The following was in my attic when I bought the house, just doing a bit of clearing out now and want to get rid of it. Don't want to just dump it if it would be of value to someone.
    I'm guessing it is some sort of tool used for photo development.
    The on text on it is Barnet Ensign on a metal plate, no product number/code.

526898.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

As you suspect, it looks like the lamp and negative holder used in the printing of photographs. The negative would go in the slit, half way up, and there are tabs at the slit and at the bottom that would be use to limit/increase the amount of light hitting the paper below.

From https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/people/cp39756/barnet-ensign-ross-ltd:
    Barnet-Ensign Ross Ltd.
    INDUSTRY: Camera manufacturer, Film manufacturer
    NATIONALITY: British

Manufacturer of high-quality folding roll film cameras; 1948 Ross Ltd joined Barnet Ensign Ltd to form Barnet Ensign Ross Ltd.; 1951 company changed name to Ross Ensign, renamed Ross-Ensign Ltd. in 1954;

Is it worth anything? To the right collector, yes! To anyone else ... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's an old enlarger. There's an identical one on EBay right at the moment, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ensign-Photograph-Enlarger-Vintage-Antique-Collectors-Photography-Camera/193487345845?hash=item2d0cbe98b5:g:aPEAAOSwTARe0SxS

probably medium format (i.e. 6x6cm or 6x9cm or 2 1/4" x 3 1/4") so probably a little less common than the millions of 35mm enlargers that people literally can't give away, but it's old and doesn't look in great shape so it's hard to tell what it's worth if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Is it worth anything? To the right collector, yes! To anyone else ... meh.

Any chance you know one :D

To be fair its not in great condition so probably not worth much.
    Be happy to give it away to someone who was interested in it tbh, otherise it might be the skip for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Any chance you know one :D

To be fair its not in great condition so probably not worth much.
    Be happy to give it away to someone who was interested in it tbh, otherise it might be the skip for it

contact thephotoshop / monochrome Meath ... pretty confident they are interested in all things film (or maybe I’m getting myself confused)

Advertisement