Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I've looked back a few pages to try to get a definitive answer but can't see anything. I signed up to the €5 hd & boxsets deal in September after getting a phone call offering it to me and was almost 100% sure I wasn't tied into a 12 month contract by doing so.

Fast forward to tonight when I ring to cancel everything (TV & phone), they tell me they can't as I'm contracted until Sept 2016 as a result of taking the €5 offer. I insisted I didn't agree to a contract so they're away listening to my call. Apparently this could take anything from minutes to hours to days to weeks to do.
    I'm cancelling as I'm moving abroad in January & with everything else I have to organise, waiting on them to maybe ring me back over the next few weeks is something I could do without.

Can anyone who signed up to the €5 deal recently remember if it meant a 12 month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I've looked back a few pages to try to get a definitive answer but can't see anything. I signed up to the €5 hd & boxsets deal in September after getting a phone call offering it to me and was almost 100% sure I wasn't tied into a 12 month contract by doing so.

Fast forward to tonight when I ring to cancel everything (TV & phone), they tell me they can't as I'm contracted until Sept 2016 as a result of taking the €5 offer. I insisted I didn't agree to a contract so they're away listening to my call. Apparently this could take anything from minutes to hours to days to weeks to do.
    I'm cancelling as I'm moving abroad in January & with everything else I have to organise, waiting on them to maybe ring me back over the next few weeks is something I could do without.

Can anyone who signed up to the €5 deal recently remember if it meant a 12 month contract?

It's not generally the deal but whether you have had HD before or not. If you hadn't then there would have been a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,807 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's not generally the deal but whether you have had HD before or not. If you hadn't then there would have been a contract.
    Have to agree. It seems that when you take HD for the first time it ties you to a 12 month contract but after that its just the normal 31 days notice.

I have that €5 offer for 6 months I think but Im not tied to anything as I had HD added to the sub a few years ago and dropped it after the initial contract.

@ 2moreMinutes ..... if they didnt tell you anything about this in the call you received then it will be fine. Maybe highlight the issue on the Sky Talk To forum where the Reps there are very accommodating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

nava wrote: »
    I left in Feb I got a call once per month to offer me to go back, most of the time was half price for 12 months.

if anyone wants to try to get the offer the link is http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/come-back-to-sky

Finally cancelled, due to be cut off tomorrow. Does anyone know how long you have to have left Sky before you can avail of this offer? Thanks.

Plascebo wrote: »
    Finally cancelled, due to be cut off tomorrow. Does anyone know how long you have to have left Sky before you can avail of this offer? Thanks.

At least 5 minutes. (seriously there is no minimum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had been turned off about 4 days when I got it. So as above, no minimum time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As a rule it would be a 12 month contract but if the agent says on the recorded phone call that you would not be tied to one then Sky will honour that.

Senna wrote: »
    I had been turned off about 4 days when I got it. So as above, no minimum time

Thanks Senna. Did you call them on the 0818 719 815 number or through the live chat link beside the offer?

Thanks Senna. Did you call them on the 0818 719 815 number or through the live chat link beside the offer?

Your best bet is live chat, seems they go through a few quick questions and make sure you qualify then have someone ring you back, saves any call charges.

Your best bet is live chat, seems they go through a few quick questions and make sure you qualify then have someone ring you back, saves any call charges.

Cheers MarkAnthony, that is the route I took. All back up and running now for half price for 12 months. Kids are talking to me again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

muffler wrote: »
    @ 2moreMinutes ..... if they didnt tell you anything about this in the call you received then it will be fine. Maybe highlight the issue on the Sky Talk To forum where the Reps there are very accommodating :)
    Just for closure, Mark from Sky rang me after I posted in the Talk To forum and since I wasn't under contract, he's put my cancellation through. No idea why the guy last night insisted I was though.
    Thanks for the replies & for referring me to the Talk To forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

How do you get them to call you so I dont have to incur the call charges, mine is due to increase in price soon

Originally we had 3 boxes, main recording box and two other multi room subs, we sacrificed one room last year, got a small discount and half price multi room, but its expiring soon.

Just gonna cancel this time and tough out an offer or not, already own two freesat boxes and two minix boxes

I know they drag the arse out of cancelling over the phone so let it be on their dime

anyone know how to get a call back if at all

BobMc wrote: »
    How do you get them to call you so I dont have to incur the call charges, mine is due to increase in price soon

Originally we had 3 boxes, main recording box and two other multi room subs, we sacrificed one room last year, got a small discount and half price multi room, but its expiring soon.

Just gonna cancel this time and tough out an offer or not, already own two freesat boxes and two minix boxes

I know they drag the arse out of cancelling over the phone so let it be on their dime

anyone know how to get a call back if at all

Did you read the rest of the thread? :pac: Even a few posts up will do.

Actually just remembered this is a mega thread so #4214.

Just incase you've never used talk to on here. Linkage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

Love the sarcasm, I'll try live chat or talk to forum so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

My sports is due to be switched off soon after a long time. What can I expect in the line of offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LaMoose

I signed up for 12 months at half price using the link posted - exactly what I was looking for after the CPW deal ran out - thread delivers.

I'm very tempted to ring up the guy from their loyalty team who agressively swore blind to me on phone that what he was offering was the best I would ever get and that I was exactly the kind of customer Sky don't want and let him know that I got it half price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

At least 5 minutes. (seriously there is no minimum)

I got on to them earlier, the guy said if I cancel, I am not eligible for a new customer deal for 12 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

Ron Scott wrote: »
    I got on to them earlier, the guy said if I cancel, I am not eligible for a new customer deal for 12 months ?

They come out with that ****e all the time. Ignore them

Ron Scott wrote: »

Correct, what people are on about above is the comeback deal. If you cancel now though it may not be available in 31 days time - which is your notice period.
    loopymum wrote: »
    They come out with that ****e all the time. Ignore them

They can and do catch people out. Some people are particularly sneaky (I'm told) most are as thick as two short planks making it very easy for Sky to see there was an account previously, especially where people don't pay the bill. If one did leave in good order then they'd simply be offered a 'come back' deal.

LaMoose wrote: »
    I signed up for 12 months at half price using the link posted - exactly what I was looking for after the CPW deal ran out - thread delivers.

I'm very tempted to ring up the guy from their loyalty team who agressively swore blind to me on phone that what he was offering was the best I would ever get and that I was exactly the kind of customer Sky don't want and let him know that I got it half price again.

To be fair he's probably right on both counts :pac: you have to bear in mind that deals that come on stream online might not be briefed out to everyone, that this deal was specifically invite only and that it's the time of year they can't get new subscribers as people won't get pre Xmas installs so they focus on getting people back.

• Advertisement

BobMc wrote: »
    Love the sarcasm, I'll try live chat or talk to forum so

I tempered it a bit, I'm sure you'll not mind though with all the money you'll save :pac:
    nc6000 wrote: »
    My sports is due to be switched off soon after a long time. What can I expect in the line of offers?

Dunno, ring, ask and report back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Cut back my package last month to the bare minimum. Got a call there offering me 12 months HD and box sets for €5 a month instead of €15, no contract so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LaMoose

To be fair he's probably right on both counts :pac: you have to bear in mind that deals that come on stream online might not be briefed out to everyone, that this deal was specifically invite only and that it's the time of year they can't get new subscribers as people won't get pre Xmas installs so they focus on getting people back.

He's definitely right about me being the kind of customer they don't want but he shouldn't be yelling it down the phone at me! He was offering me a terrible deal - I was always going to end up getting better than that. Especially when I went ahead with the cancellation.

They had previously told me they'd 'look after me' on the TV after they ballsed up my broadband installation and charged me for months despite it never being connected. They offered me some terrible deal which I refused and he told me that there was no way sky could do better than what he was offering and that it was the best I would ever get. I told him I was aware that other people were getting 1/2 price for 9/12 months and I told him that given the issues I'd had with the service I wanted a similar deal. He asked the manager and came back with a slightly improved offer before reiterating that this new deal was now the best I would ever do so I told him to just go ahead and cancel.

He then started getting properly aggressive, telling me that whoever was getting the 1/2 price deal must have been with sky for years. 'We look after our loyal customers mate. You're exactly the kind of customer we don't want.' I kept telling him to cancel but he stuck at it. The minute I told him I wanted to speak to his manager he changed his tune. 'We're getting nowhere here mate, let's just put the cancellation through.'

Bizarre conversation. I was laughing at him by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,807 ✭✭✭✭muffler

LaMoose wrote: »
    Bizarre conversation. I was laughing at him by the end of it.
    He probably had the last laugh you know :)

TBH I couldn't imagine doing that job. For every person with a genuine gripe like LaMoose I imagine there are 50 chancres who think they way to go about negotiating a discount is to 'play hard ball' read 'hardman' e.g rude knob head. No excuse to take it out on LaMoose though if he wasn't rude to the agent.

I regally negotiate a discount on my UPC and always have a bit of craic with the agent and always put the phone down happy. I also posses the super powers of listen to the T&Cs and note taking and the final one of putting aside some time to do it rather than trying to do it driving to pick the kids up.

I worked in CS for too long it seems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

nc6000 wrote: »

Nothing. Unless you cancel the lot (or at least threaten to) they offer little to nothing for loyal customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

Whats the best price overall for everything people have got on this come back deal for half price.not really mentioned by anybody on this...

Whats the best price overall for everything people have got on this come back deal for half price.not really mentioned by anybody on this...

I'd imagine it was half price :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

TBH I couldn't imagine doing that job. For every person with a genuine gripe like LaMoose I imagine there are 50 chancres who think they way to go about negotiating a discount is to 'play hard ball' read 'hardman' e.g rude knob head. No excuse to take it out on LaMoose though if he wasn't rude to the agent.

I regally negotiate a discount on my UPC and always have a bit of craic with the agent and always put the phone down happy. I also posses the super powers of listen to the T&Cs and note taking and the final one of putting aside some time to do it rather than trying to do it driving to pick the kids up.

I worked in CS for too long it seems :pac:

It was a soul destroying experience doing that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Has anyone had much luck in getting reductions on their bill? I was happy paying what I was last month but my HD discount and a discount I was getting on the Variety bundle have ended after 12 months. Do Sky ever offer to extend these if you ring them?

Advertisement