Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Some craic these colleges/course providers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

How do I get the, whoever's running springboard, any job in there would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

yoshx wrote: »
    You are right its a bargain site, my point is you can be productive part of society without a degree ,and being self taught, if you feel to deepen yourself in the academic field this is a really great opportunity . If you here only for the bargain and thinking you will profit , you might get disappointed.

My opinion is :

higher degree isn't ≠ better life

also

better job [more money] ≠ a peaceful respectful life and being more productive part of society , unless you can keep your Ego in check :)

Am I being too wishy washy ? I am sorry for being different from you

Ah, the old double negative. So you're saying that a higher degree is equal to a better life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Is this all first come first served? How long to the places tend to fill up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

cronos wrote: »
    Is this all first come first served? How long to the places tend to fill up?

No.

Read back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

I know there's an option to turn the Higher Diploma in Computer Science into an MSc in UCD by converting halfway through. I only know about this through word of mouth, is there any other Higher Diploma's that have a similar option as this is the only one I know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Mystery666 wrote: »
    I know there's an option to turn the Higher Diploma in Computer Science into an MSc in UCD by converting halfway through. I only know about this through word of mouth, is there any other Higher Diploma's that have a similar option as this is the only one I know about.

I can't speak for all of the courses but I've just finished a Postgraduate Diploma course which was essentially just the taught modules element of a masters.

There was then a choice to either graduate after that year with a PGDip, or complete a dissertation for the MSc award. In that case, it was only the Postgraduate Diploma part that was covered under Springboard. The dissertation element was to be undertaken as a second year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I can't speak for all of the courses but I've just finished a Postgraduate Diploma course which was essentially just the taught modules element of a masters.

There was then a choice to either graduate after that year with a PGDip, or complete a dissertation for the MSc award. In that case, it was only the Postgraduate Diploma part that was covered under Springboard. The dissertation element was to be undertaken as a second year.

Is it really necessary if you’re looking to change industry you’re in? Will the PgDip be enough to get you in the door with employers/recruiters...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Is it really necessary if you’re looking to change industry you’re in? Will the PgDip be enough to get you in the door with employers/recruiters...

Depends of the industry you're in and what you want to move to, as well as how many years of experience and transferable skills you've built up.

If you've no experience in the IT sector and you want to break into it, I'd say in most cases you'd require a qualification or at least be working towards one.

In my opinion the majority of employers don't overly care about the content of your course or where you studied. Third level qualifications are prerequisites and they like to see you can start something and finish it out. If you're adding to your qualifications/continuing your professional development off your own bat and paying it for yourself, employers also love to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

CBear1993 wrote: »

Well it's something anyway. In the IT industry, an NFQ qualification would generally open the door, but professional certifications would be more valuable after that in many areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Well it's something anyway. In the IT industry, an NFQ qualification would generally open the door, but professional certifications would be more valuable after that in many areas.

Agree with this, in most cases anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The site is still not up. They might want to take one of their own courses that covers load balancing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When is the deadline to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

FutureGuy wrote: »
    When is the deadline to apply?

I'd say deadlines will be July/August, most courses kicking off in mid September. It'll vary depending on the course provider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Mystery666 wrote: »

Most postgrad diplomas are just a masters with a component missing.

Dante7 wrote: »
    The site is still not up. They might want to take one of their own courses that covers load balancing.

They've said on their Twitter that the site will be back up on Friday. Springboard have actually been quite good with their updates on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Dante7 wrote: »

Or cloud elasticity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I cant find the Financial Accounting and Payroll course on Athlone's website, can anyone help me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Have some courses not gone ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Seems to be open now but website is very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I cant find the Financial Accounting and Payroll course on Athlone's website, can anyone help me

Apply through the Springboard website it’s there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm doing one of these at the moment - my main reasons for studying via Springboard were (a) the piece of paper, (b) the promised work placement.

I'll still get the piece of paper, which is good, but I could have learned much more in far less time from youtube etc. than by doing the course. You will find the courses have a couple of "filler" modules that often won't be of interest to you or of any practical benefit, and parts of them can be very slow in parts to bring everyone up to speed, whereas if you're studying on your own, you can focus on the things that do interest you and do so in more depth. (Obviously you can still do extra stuff that isn't mandated on your own, but time, time, time.) The courses are helpful if, like me, your self-discipline is lacking.

The course I'm doing doesn't provide the work placement for the students - you have to organise that yourself. If you can't get a work placement, you can write a "prior workplace experience" essay to attest that you play well with others etc. So it's a trivial module from a "credits" point of view, and the work placement seems to be just there as an advertising pull rather than being an important part of the course. Your course may, of course, differ - might be worth asking.

As a self-employed person, I paid ~700e over the two years. It feels approximately worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't think all the courses are there yet. At least not the DCU courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'll still get the piece of paper, which is good, but I could have learned much more in far less time from youtube etc.

The same could be said of pretty much any third level course. The difference is that it provides the structure through which to do it in with externally set deadlines and objectives with proper accreditation at the end. If you consider yourself better able to learn on your own and that much of the course content is filler then maybe third level education is not for you?

Ficheall wrote: »
    The course I'm doing doesn't provide the work placement for the students - you have to organise that yourself.

While various places will have different levels of support for work placement, the onus is still on the student to go off and secure something for themselves. Ain't nobody going to spoon feed you once you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

AngryLips wrote: »
    The same could be said of pretty much any third level course. The difference is that it provides the structure through which to do it in with externally set deadlines and objectives with proper accreditation at the end. If you consider yourself better able to learn on your own and that much of the course content is filler then maybe third level education is not for you?
    Yes, the same could be said of pretty much any third-level course, and I think third-level education in its current form is vastly overrated, and that the education bubble must surely burst at some point. But the piece of paper, as I acknowledged in my post, is sadly needed for the jobs market.

AngryLips wrote: »
    While various places will have different levels of support for work placement, the onus is still on the student to go off and secure something for themselves. Ain't nobody going to spoon feed you once you graduate.
    My point was that one of the modules is a work placement (or "equivalent"), and it was unclear at the beginning that the course had no structures or proffered industry ties in place to support this. So you have a course with ~150 students all looking for work placements in the same area at the same time, with nothing set up to streamline this.

I'm not expecting to be hand-held (there is waaay too much of that in third-level education), I'm just saying that it might be worth clarifying with the course provider what the story is with work placements, to see if your expectations are appropriate.

If you need the piece of paper for work prospects or don't have the self-discipline to work on your own, by all means these courses can be useful, but if it is just for the sake of learning the material for its own sake and you don't care about having the piece of paper and don't want to have the course hanging over you for a year or two, then I wouldn't spend any money on these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Is there any application deadline?

Did you have to present the dissertation or simply hand it in?

Very interested in doing the Higher Diploma in Data Analytics at Maynooth, would ideally love to do the masters, would it cost much to complete the masters once you complete the higher diploma?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Is there any application deadline?

I think it depends on the course.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Very interested in doing the Higher Diploma in Data Analytics at Maynooth, would ideally love to do the masters, would it cost much to complete the masters once you complete the higher diploma?

€6,750 I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Has anyone applied while receiving the Covid PUP? I don't see it as an option for a social welfare payment.

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I don't think all the courses are there yet. At least not the DCU courses

Same with Institute of banking courses

Advertisement