Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

At what age/point did you realise you can't house share anymore?

• 21-10-2020 10:32am
    Site Banned Posts: 49

I'm almost 30 and have been sharing for a decade (if you include house sharing with friends in college) and think I might be reaching that point.

I've lived with many different people, but I'm finding they annoy me. Doesn't help I suppose they're messy and act like their mammy is around to clean up after them, sweep the floor etc.

What age did you move into your own place? Easier for couples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

27 is when I realised I didn't want housemates anymore. That was only after 3 years of sharing as well after I moved out of home. I hated sharing my home with randomers but I can't say they were annoying people. It was my issue; I didn't like sharing a living room, kitchen and general home space with them.

As an adult, I find it is better for your independence and sense of purpose to have your own place, sharing with people is really only something younger people do as they are in their first job and still single.

Couples sharing with others is a complete disaster, it is not good for the couple to be in that situation. I appreciate the realities of the rental market the last few years would not make it easy to achieve living alone so I speak from my own perspective and what I think is best practice. Living with parents in your 20s is a whole different area but that is not healthy for parents and the adult children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Fairly recently tbh. Spending all my time with the wife and kids stuck in the house during the lockdown has been tough. I need to look at getting my own place quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

28. Although I only moved out of the parents house 6 months previous. Ended up house sharing with some nutters and got the hell out of there. We have our own place now. There's nothing like coming home to your own place and not having to worry about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

About 27. Rented a flat on my own for a bit then (not in Ireland!) and loved it. Now I'm back living with parents again and desperately trying to get on the property ladder in Dublin at 33.

Can genuinely say I prefer living at home with my parents to being in a houseshare though. Especially during a pandemic with frequent lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Shelga wrote: »
    About 27. Rented a flat on my own for a bit then (not in Ireland!) and loved it. Now I'm back living with parents again and desperately trying to get on the property ladder in Dublin at 33.

Can genuinely say I prefer living at home with my parents to being in a houseshare though. Especially during a pandemic with frequent lockdowns.

I'm renting but spending some time at home too and there's pluses and minuses to both.

I just have no independence at home. No privacy. Judgement for things I do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Renting my own place in Belfast. Hope to buy in the next year or two all going well.

I think I might have seen an end to my house sharing days, fingers crossed. I'm 32 BTW, house prices in the area I'm looking at should work out less than what I'm currently paying to rent. I just need a good year next year for putting money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not everyone has the luxury of deciding they can't house share any more. I know a lot of people who've had to go back to it later in life after marriage break ups, others are in jobs that simply won't funds solo rental or purchase. You also have people who bought homes but for various reasons need to take in lodgers or students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Raoul wrote: »
    Fairly recently tbh. Spending all my time with the wife and kids stuck in the house during the lockdown has been tough. I need to look at getting my own place quick!

Have you seen Colin Furze Bunker on Youtube? Sounds like what you need!!

I just have no independence at home. No privacy. Judgement for things I do etc.

I know what you mean, when the parents are giving you dodgy looks at breakfast after a night on the tiles before to you and your girlfriend of 6 hours. Then you realise she is still wearing a strap-on. Cant stand Judgemental people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

When the stoner of the house used my toothbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

When I was 26. I had moved from my own place to a house share. The dodgy boiler was in a press in my room and it frequently broke down. As it was in my room, my housemates decided to give me the role of unofficial house plumber and would wake me at all hours asking why the water was cold and how to fix it. I had no plumbing experience and worked in a call centre at the time.

Generally, the main thing I hated about houses shares is that you have to always be sociable, pleasant, happy, up to chatting to housemates friends/ partners when they call over. No peace or space to be yourself apart from in said bedroom with dodgy boiler.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Always wanted to, so at 26 I decided to live with girlfriends or on my own and won't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

AFAIR I was about 22, moved out and into my own flat.
    Hate people so it's best to live alone or with the romantic interest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

18 moved to go to college and other people and their filthy habits just drove me nuts. Bought own house at 24

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Always wanted to, so at 26 I decided to live with girlfriends or on my own and won't go back.

Whose girlfriends did you live with?

Whose girlfriends did you live with?

It was the 60's and things were different back then with swinging and what not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm almost 30 and have been sharing for a decade (if you include house sharing with friends in college) and think I might be reaching that point.

I've lived with many different people, but I'm finding they annoy me. Doesn't help I suppose they're messy and act like their mammy is around to clean up after them, sweep the floor etc.

What age did you move into your own place? Easier for couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Myself I was 26.

My observation is that most people past that point can live in a house share happily only because they have settled into a very stable house share i.e. they have found a nice dwelling, with functional appliances, a landlord willing to do maintenance, sufficient space for everyone to live comfortably, there aren't too many people, and they have each learned each others quirks enough to rub along without major issue.

There is no turnover of housemates, all housemates know each other pretty well, regular hours, no big parties etc.

It also becomes more difficult to find decent house shares past about that point because everyone of similar age is either living with a partner or in a stable house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've never house-shared. My first 'real' job was in a rural town and rent was cheap so I just got my own 2-bed apartment. After that moved in with the missus and now we've bought a house. I know I'd be a terrible roommate so didn't really want to live with any randomers. I regret it a bit because I see friends who had the time of their lives in a good house share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Around 25, after 8 years of house sharing (though the first year was between digs and parents). Had lived 6 years in a 6 bed house and just couldn't take it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Session2019!

House sharing since 18, 30 now and only recently starting to get sick of it. Share a lovely
    big house but with 4 others who are nice so it's not the worst house sharing situation, also have an unreal landlord who's an absolute dream to deal with.Looking to buy but there's little to no suitable houses in the area I want to live in my price range so will be another 2 to 3 years before I can get a bigger deposit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

At 27 when I moved in with a disgusting house mate. I knew I was done. I was getting annoyed each day.

Now I'm less annoyed aand lore happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

32 (This Year) always thought I liked having company in the house, never realised my housemate was so dirty until lockdown (felt i was a maid in a serviced apartment) and also when they stopped using deodorant due to "irritation" and the smell would waft through the house. They also were physically unable (ive no idea why )to wipe their feet which meant i was constantly mopping and hoovering.

They luckily moved home home to save.... never again. Had to deep clean their room in order to turn it into an office which included shampooing the carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

I've always felt happier in my own place, but I've moved around a lot for short term jobs or jobs of indefinite duration so I often didn't want the commitment of a lease. You can often move out of a house share with a months notice.

Have definitely been happier when I have rented a flat to myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

I'm 29 now and house shared on off with friends and random people till I was 27. Never again and got my own place(lucky to have a job not in Dublin or Cork)

I moved back home there 4 months with parents and siblings to try and save for a mortgage and was 100 times worse than a house share. Absolutely horrible.

Got my own place last month and love every second of it. I probably would of having a mortgage from living at home after 16 months, but now will take roughly 34 months but feck it. I couldn't stick it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

when my girlfriend kicked me out for cheating on her with 2 of her best friends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

26. Bought my own place. Didn't like living alone so I rented a room for a while until herself moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I was 28. Was in a houseshare with my then boyfriend now Husband and we had just got engaged. There were 2 other housemates.
    We stayed another year in that houseshare and saved and bought our own place.
    Had been in houseshares for the best part of 10 years by then including college. Some great and some not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would say mid 20s I really knew.
    I had shared since I went to uni at 18
    Drove me to save and buy a house early 30s.

I do not miss it one bit.

Advertisement