Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options for enforcing no parking on a private road

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

It's actually a fantastic way to stay healthy, and to set down habits of a lifetime that don't encourage obesity and don't poison your neighbours and classmates with toxic emissions.

I recall some research showing how children perform better academically in school when they use active modes of travel.

That's great if the weather is good and you have the time to do it but it's Ireland and the school year also runs through the winter not the summer. It is not always feasible.

Look at today for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

99nsr125 wrote: »
    It's not dramatic, it's the truth, not everyone lives five minutes from their school. A classmate of mine who was almost exactly the same distance from school as me developed pneumonia after getting wet on the way there.

My primary school for an adult was a half an hour walk away and three quarters of an hour for my cousin and an adult walks circa 50% faster than a child. Also to set aside as a parent working or not 2 or 3 hours from your day to walk your children to school is completely unfeasible. They need to get to and from there in a timely and safe manner.

This thread has now reached the absurd.

Child neglect and pneumonia??

Wow.

Options the OP has are apply for PP for gates, or introduce clamping.

By the way, getting wet in the rain is not a cause of pneumonia.

Bacterial pneumonia. This type is caused by various bacteria. The most common is Streptococcus pneumoniae. It usually occurs when the body is weakened in some way, such as by illness, poor nutrition, old age, or impaired immunity, and the bacteria are able to work their way into the lungs. Bacterial pneumonia can affect all ages, but you are at greater risk if you abuse alcohol, smoke cigarettes, are debilitated, have recently had surgery, have a respiratory disease or viral infection, or have a weakened immune system.

Viral pneumonia. This type is caused by various viruses, including the flu (influenza), and is responsible for about one-third of all pneumonia cases. You may be more likely to get bacterial pneumonia if you have viral pneumonia.

Mycoplasma pneumonia. This type has somewhat different symptoms and physical signs and is referred to as atypical pneumonia. It is caused by the bacterium Mycoplasma pneumoniae. It generally causes a mild, widespread pneumonia that affects all age groups.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    I never said you didn't.

I said young children need to be accompanied and not drowned on the way there or home because that's a fantastic way to get sick.

If you think it's alright to send a small child off to school in the rain on her own maybe you should talk to some other parents because it's not.

Who are you to decide that or judge my parenting skills? Because you and your kids are too lazy to walk in a bit of rain?

Distance is a factor I notice you ignore. When I was in primary school, thinking 1982 now, I walked at 6. I knew lots of kids that did the same from a greater distance. It was the norm.

Again in secondary. It was normal, cars didn't line street for miles to avoid their little cherub from having to use their legs.

Now i or my wife will walk with the girls to school. It's 10 minutes away. They wear coats and scarfs and we are usually quicker than the car brigade that sit in traffic they are causing because they need to be bang at the school gates. Pathetic.

Rain doesn't cause illness by the way. Can't believe that myth still exists and is being used as an excuse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

ok folks, I think it's fair to say we've strayed off topic and well outside what might be relevant to the Accommodation & Property forum.

For parenting discussion there's a dedicated parenting forum

To discuss where parents should be allowed to park when dropping/collecting children to/from school, please start a separate thread in the relevant forum.

As a quick reminder the question is:

What are the options for enforcing no parking on a private road?

The options at this stage have been done.

A, Commit criminal damage and probable end up with Gardai onsite

B, Look for permission and then fund the installation of a Gate

C, Put up more signs that are very clear

D, Employ clampers.

E, Yellow lines.

F, All or part of the above

All bring their own grief above the current situation in my opinion but there they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

You forgot my suggestion :(

E - Paint yellow lines and remove the "Private Property" sign, to create the impression it's a regular road after all, and the regular "no parking" rules apply.

Overall though, will just say that I was already thinking after only the first few pages of this thread about how this sort of thing is another reason I'm glad I don't live in the city any more. And the way things developed after that just makes me think that even more..........

E - Paint yellow lines and remove the "Private Property" sign, to create the impression it's a regular road after all, the the regular "no parking" rules apply.

Overall though, will just say that I was already thinking after only the first few pages of this thread about how this sort of thing is another reason I'm glad I don't live in the city any more. And the way things developed after that just makes me think that even more..........

how could I?;)

Amended to include your sensible suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't for get my suggestion :pac:

A chain that can just be pulled across for the school run.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

E - Paint yellow lines and remove the "Private Property" sign, to create the impression it's a regular road after all, and the regular "no parking" rules apply.

i think a combo of C&E is best myself

Cyrus wrote: »

But anyone with any common sense (may not include drives on the school run) will realise that the double yellow lines are "fake" and don't mean anything.

My parents had them outside their house on a private road and no one took any notice.

• Advertisement

Minimal cost and maintenance free going forward also.
    I drove into a development like this over the Summer sort of in error as I didn't really know where I was going, it was only on the way back out I saw the private property sign so perhaps folk are oblivious to the status.

But anyone with any common sense (may not include drives on the school run) will realise that the double yellow lines are "fake" and don't mean anything.

My parents had them outside their house on a private road and no one took any notice.

yes perhaps and if that happens we escalate i suppose (goto level 5 as it were :D) ive been looking on google maps and few similar estates have gone down the DYL route so perhaps it works.

Augeo wrote: »
    Minimal cost and maintenance free going forward also.
    I drove into a development like this over the Summer sort of in error as I didn't really know where I was going, it was only on the way back out I saw the private property sign so perhaps folk are oblivious to the status.

yes thats a possibility but there is a few individuals that have been put right by some of the neighbours and they persist, hence the post in the first place. :)

If you can't have gates is it possible to put in bollards and a ramp just back from the bell mouth so cars have to slow and giveaway to each other to come in or out of the road. Then place the private road signs up where the cars have to slow down so they can't miss it.

Are all these options not ultimately going to annoy the residents more than the current situation though?

Are all these options not ultimately going to annoy the residents more than the current situation though?

thats for a majority of them to decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Another option is for one of the actual residents to park their car out on the road and put a clamp on it themselves. Have signs up saying clamping in operation. When people come and see a clamped car, and signs up, they will piss off.

This is the best solution-clamping to scare off.Could be started tomorrow.Any other solution gets into "legal difficulties" with serial objectors not living in the area/visiting or not taking advantage for a "few minutes".Maybe you could contract out the parking charges to the council 50/50 split.Again there could legal constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

C & E would be mutually exclusive if you were dealing with parkers with any intelligence. If you reinforce the private nature, it will be clear that the yellow lines have nor force of law. it does require them to have a modicum of intelligence greater than their ingrained selfishness. In any event, it is rare that double yellows or even the zig zag lines deter school Parker’s, even where wardens are in place.

Pity there is not a good grumpy or community spirited neighbour to engage peaceably with them.

We have such a man on the road who goes up and down gently closing peoples gates, rearranging their rubbish bins so they are not impeding anyone. He is a gentle soul who would engage with such Parker’s in a way they could not take offence or shout at them. He is so stooped and gentle that he’d engender shame in anyone he came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Marcusm wrote: »
    C & E would be mutually exclusive if you were dealing with parkers with any intelligence. If you reinforce the private nature, it will be clear that the yellow lines have nor force of law. it does require them to have a modicum of intelligence greater than their ingrained selfishness. In any event, it is rare that double yellows or even the zig zag lines deter school Parker’s, even where wardens are in place.

Pity there is not a good grumpy or community spirited neighbour to engage peaceably with them.

We have such a man on the road who goes up and down gently closing peoples gates, rearranging their rubbish bins so they are not impeding anyone. He is a gentle soul who would engage with such Parker’s in a way they could not take offence or shout at them. He is so stooped and gentle that he’d engender shame in anyone he came across.

Many communities are blessed with men like this.

There is one in Waterford who patrols the shore burying dog dirt. And there was one up in Orkney who used to fix holes in the shore path.

I was remembering way back when I lived in a quiet cui de sac. So peaceful it was.
    Then they built a primary school in the field at the end... and guess what!

Obstruction, and the NOISE. Cars revving and turning, and why do kids and parents have to shout? Cars waiting to turn with engines revving .

On a private road this is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just came across some correspondence which reminded me. The residents of the “Private Estate” which I referred to in my earlier posts have recently had the “Private Property” signage (which was quite nice and undoubtedly expensive) removed by the council. Any development built in the last 5/10 years in DLRCC’s area is not a “private estate”, unsure how the OP got on with their crusade….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It would be interesting to see how DLRCC communicated that and how they could possibly assert this. Undoubtedly the council could seek to preclude gates but absent acquiring the property they do not have any authority to determine who is entitled to enter property which is not in their charge. The development which is the subject of this thread is undoubtedly in DLRCC.

Seeing as you asked so nicely, we engaged with the local planning authority regarding the sign, and it's up now.

If the estate isn't private I do wonder why the common areas are the property of the OMC and why we are paying to maintain them and light them etc, maybe you could enlighten me? As Marcus helpfully pointed out above quite how the DLRCC would order this is unclear given they have no authority over the common areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I just read the first page of this thread and realized its over 2 years old. So skipped to the end to see if the parking problem has been solved in the last 2 years.

What was the solution in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Amazed this thread went on for as long as it did but my god does it smack of we don't want that sort in our area.

At least OP got his signs in place and hopefully they've eased his issues.

it never ceases to amaze the things people take away from straightforward threads.

Its a private place, with kids playing, we dont want people who have no entitlement to be in this place parking here, relatively simple id have thought.

The sort you are referring to are local people in the main so no issue with them in general but i dont go and park on their property so id rather they didnt on ours.

the solution was a sign at the entrance, we have not had much of an issue since, the thread was resurrected for reasons only spyderski can explain.

Advertisement