Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting game

Options
  • 30-10-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi,
    Wondering if people could give me some advice on whether my situation is normal?
    I went sale agreed on a house 8 weeks ago, although things were delayed a week because I was gazumped by the underbidder, ended up having to match their bid.
    Since then I've done everything from my side - surveyor report is done, paperwork with the solicitor for the mortgage, deposit paid within 24 hrs.
    My solicitor hasn't received contracts from the vendors solicitor yet. Ive asked when they'd be expected or if there's an expected timeline but just get still waiting as a reply. He doesn't want to act on the surveyors report (there's a few things they've suggested I need from the vendor) until the contracts are in.
    At this stage I feel at worst the vendor is stalling, or at best we are wasting time not asking for the bits in the report now?
    Im a first time buyer and the house in empty, was inherited after a relative of the vendor died so should be a relatively straight forward process I would have thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Wondering if people could give me some advice on whether my situation is normal?
    I went sale agreed on a house 8 weeks ago, although things were delayed a week because I was gazumped by the underbidder, ended up having to match their bid.
    Since then I've done everything from my side - surveyor report is done, paperwork with the solicitor for the mortgage, deposit paid within 24 hrs.
    My solicitor hasn't received contracts from the vendors solicitor yet. Ive asked when they'd be expected or if there's an expected timeline but just get still waiting as a reply. He doesn't want to act on the surveyors report (there's a few things they've suggested I need from the vendor) until the contracts are in.
    At this stage I feel at worst the vendor is stalling, or at best we are wasting time not asking for the bits in the report now?
    Im a first time buyer and the house in empty, was inherited after a relative of the vendor died so should be a relatively straight forward process I would have thought

Probate sales take a long time which it seems from the last paragraph is the case? It really depends on is the relative be owner of the house (ie the estate of the deceased transferred the house to the relative by assent) or is the relative the person entitled to sell the house (ie probate sale).

Probate sale means a grant of probate needs to issue. In Cork that takes about 6-9 months at moment - others areas are shorter. The estate can’t sign contracts until the grant has issued. Also if probate sale, you have to remember they may not know where title deeds are or know the history of the property (were any extensions built, if so, when). They could be trying to get paperwork together at moment to issue contracts. So really depends on the situation.

It’s often said here- don’t bank on house until you have keys. Go look at other properties. Also keep on top of auctioneer. He/she can contact the sellers directly and their solicitor. He/she will get an update quicker than your solicitor who can only contact the sellers solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Probate sales take a long time which it seems from the last paragraph is the case? It really depends on is the relative be owner of the house (ie the estate of the deceased transferred the house to the relative by assent) or is the relative the person entitled to sell the house (ie probate sale).

Probate sale means a grant of probate needs to issue. In Cork that takes about 6-9 months at moment - others areas are shorter. The estate can’t sign contracts until the grant has issued. Also if probate sale, you have to remember they may not know where title deeds are or know the history of the property (were any extensions built, if so, when). They could be trying to get paperwork together at moment to issue contracts. So really depends on the situation.

It’s often said here- don’t bank on house until you have keys. Go look at other properties. Also keep on top of auctioneer. He/she can contact the sellers directly and their solicitor. He/she will get an update quicker than your solicitor who can only contact the sellers solicitor.

Thanks for the advice, even if it is the last thing I wanted to hear! Didnt realise I could still contact the solicitor, will give that a go!

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, even if it is the last thing I wanted to hear! Didnt realise I could still contact the solicitor, will give that a go!

If your solicitor hasn’t been on to you, it means they have no news. I’d contact the auctioneer first. Get an update from them and then contact your solicitor with the information and see if they can follow up so that’s your solicitor and auctioneer putting pressure on seller and their solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm in a similar situation, so you have my sympathies. I'm 11 weeks sale agreed on a house that is awaiting the grant of probate. I have received zero updates or information from anyone so far. I contacted my solicitor and the estate agent this week. No response from the EA yet. Solicitor just says nothing has been received yet.

The Dublin probate office is currently processing applications received from solicitors on 26/8/19 so I thought I would have received some sort of update by now . I have everything ready to go on my side. I'm not in a chain and the house is vacant. The wait is so frustrating!

I'm in a similar situation, so you have my sympathies. I'm 11 weeks sale agreed on a house that is awaiting the grant of probate. I have received zero updates or information from anyone so far. I contacted my solicitor and the estate agent this week. No response from the EA yet. Solicitor just says nothing has been received yet.

The Dublin probate office is currently processing applications received from solicitors on 26/8/19 so I thought I would have received some sort of update by now . I have everything ready to go on my side. I'm not in a chain and the house is vacant. The wait is so frustrating!

Just to note if a query had been raised by probate office that can slow things down. The query needs to be answered and resubmitted but your back to queue again so it can take months. It’s very frustrating but people won’t take the grant out as they need to know what the house goes for to avoid GCT if they under value the house.

It’s very frustrating as it’s beyond people’s control but will be worth it once you get the keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

I feel your pain! The house I'm sale agreed on apparently has been owned by this person for a year or two so hoping the probate is already in place, but waiting for confirmation from someone about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Just to note if a query had been raised by probate office that can slow things down. The query needs to be answered and resubmitted but your back to queue again so it can take months. It’s very frustrating but people won’t take the grant out as they need to know what the house goes for to avoid GCT if they under value the house.

It’s very frustrating as it’s beyond people’s control but will be worth it once you get the keys.

Yes, I knew to expect a long wait but it's the complete lack of information and updates that I find infuriating. I waited patiently until past the time the application should have been dealt with, now I'd like an update on whether things are progressing or if there's an issue causing a delay. I think it's asking a lot to expect a buyer to wait in complete ignorance for three months and not be kept updated with how things are progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I waited patiently

Don't do this

Advertisement