Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spare keys stolen from letterbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

someone suggested the OP replace the lock, Id say this is a good interim measure, but inform the landlord, the landlord may want to replace like for like though, some lo ks are not cheap. If the lock was cheap Id consider upgrading it, but I would not expect the landlord to pay (that suggestion, even asking is ridiculous) as leaving keys out unattended is careless, even hidden if in an envelope, I wouldnt leave car keys or my bank cards out like that, nor house keys.
    Similarily I was asked to leave keys in a letterbox at an apartment that was externally on the building, probably easier for An Post but its just an aluminium box, I could have easily fished keys out had I left them there, If likely even without tools to rip the flaps off. Id prefer aluminium letterbox to nothing though as unless there is damage, it suggests no one has accessed it. As for an open set up, Id be a bit concerned if anything of importance was turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Bear in my that if the landlord is informed they may not be best pleased - there is usually something in rental contracts about responsibility to secure the property. Leaving keys out may be in breach of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

riclad wrote: »
    The landlord could put in metal letterbox,s ,with a label,for each tenant, with locks on them,
    and claim the cost as an expense in his tax return .

https://www.letterboxes.ie/-multi-occupancy-installation

the ones in this link seem ideal

The type of set up you recommend is used by Irish people in apartment buildings all over the World.

Unfortunately at home we have a different approach.

Advertisement