Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spare keys stolen from letterbox

• 30-10-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭

Had a relative stay overnight in my apartment. My spare keys were put in an envolope addressed to me and my full address and put in the letterbox. It's an open letterbox with no key inside the building. Have had no issues with post being left here before. I arrived the next day and the envelope is now gone. Have asked some other tenants but they didn't notice anything.

Any idea how I should proceed?

I guess my locks will have to be changed now too. If so, I'll let the landlord know but would they pay for the change of locks or me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sheroman01 wrote: »

I guess my locks will have to be changed now too. If so, I'll let the landlord know but would they pay for the change of locks or me?

Seriously? You pay. You left the keys unattended.
    Very silly move on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

lmao how is this even a question.

"Boards, I gave my wallet to the wallet inspector and he ran off. surely the bank should reimburse me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Just asking the question in case people have been in this scenario before, I have no issue paying for the change of locks. On the other matter of having my letter/keys stolen, it's quite ****ty, and was wondering the best way to proceed there, as it's highly likely a fellow tenant took it. I guess I'll just let the LL know.

Just asking the question in case people have been in this scenario before, I have no issue paying for the change of locks. On the other matter of having my letter/keys stolen, it's quite ****ty, and was wondering the best way to proceed there, as it's highly likely a fellow tenant took it. I guess I'll just let the LL know.

Is it a house of multiple occupancy?
    OR split up in separate units?

kceire wrote: »
    Seriously? You pay. You left the keys unattended.
    Very silly move on your part.

Not unattended. In a sealed envelope in my letterbox addressed to me and my flat number. No different to any private mail that gets delivered to people every day. The contents in an envelope shouldn't matter, it shouldn't get stolen.

• Advertisement

Is it a house of multiple occupancy?
    OR split up in separate units?

House split into separate units.

Not unattended. In a sealed envelope in my letterbox addressed to me and my flat number. No different to any private mail that gets delivered to people every day. The contents in an envelope shouldn't matter, it shouldn't get stolen.

But your OP said it was an open box with no key?
    This would be different to a private mail set up.

House split into separate units.

Technically speaking then, it could be considered theft from the common areas.
    But you really should have sealed postal boxes, one per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Report the theft to the Gardaí and your landlord, they can contact the OMC. Was there a key for access to the complex stolen also?

You have to tell your landlord if you are changing the locks on their property and you have to give them a spare key.

But your OP said it was an open box with no key?
    This would be different to a private mail set up.

Sorry, should have clarified, it's like a wooden shelf split into sections with each flat number assigned to it. It's where everyone's post goes.
    Technically speaking then, it could be considered theft from the common areas.

We have asked the LL for this previously but was never provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The 'letterbox' had no lock. It would have been trivial for anyone passing, another tenant or visitor, to open the 'letterbox' and remove whatever was inside. Nobody was watching over the 'letterbox' guarding it to make sure it's contents couldn't be taken, therefore it was unattended.

Things shouldn't get stolen, but they do. That's why we have locks, alarms, police, courts, prison system, etc...

The landlord may have specific requirements for locks so you might want to agree with the landlord what type of replacement lock you will have fitted.

I wouldn't lose any time in getting the lock replaced as whoever currently has your spare key has free access to your apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It doesn't matter what you did with the keys. They are your responsibility and you will have to pay for the lock change. You will also have to notify your landlord and provide your landlord with a key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Don't waste your time reporting to the Gardai or trying to find the keys or who took them. The Gardai would laugh you out of the station for reporting that. Sure how are they supposed to find your keys or who took them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't waste your time reporting to the Gardai or trying to find the keys or who took them. The Gardai would laugh you out of the station for reporting that. Sure how are they supposed to find your keys or who took them?

All crimes should be reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Yeah but nothing will come of it. It's a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The letter box,s should have a lock on them, with a slot for letter,s to go in.you should pay for a new lock,
    Its not the landlords fault the keys were stolen.
    a standard lock only cost,s 12 euro in any hardware store.
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/yale-1109-night-latch-replacement-cylinder-chrome-plated-mm.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6eTtBRDdARIsANZWjYZgsapMXJP-yvug_nvdhx7awn1tScHNkG0RmGBHvgbRKNj8HuFhM0saAqEXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

its very easy to take out the old one, put in a new cylinder ,
    you only need a philips screwdriver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDuK54_DZw

any carpenter can do this if you are not sure you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yeah but nothing will come of it. It's a waste of time.

Best to make time.

If crimes go unreported they are not part of statistics.
    Resources to fight crime are allocated on the basis of statistics.
    If it's not reported it didn't happen as far as official Ireland is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

lmao how is this even a question.

"Boards, I gave my wallet to the wallet inspector and he ran off. surely the bank should reimburse me?"

Me and the banks we got an understanding ya dig

Someone left the keys, in an open letterbox,
    you change the lock, the keys are of no value to anyone.the gardai have more serious crimes to deal with ,
    car crime, drug dealers etc
    do not waste time reporting this .
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Yale-P-77-CH-CH-60-Traditional-Nightlatch-Lock---Chrome/p/109886

if its like this only the round part ,cylinder needs to be replaced .
    measure the round circle, part on the outside of the door.
    go to a hardware store buy a new cylinder .
    standard door locks, cylinders are all the same size.
    Hold onto your reciept if case the landlord wants to see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

I agree that telling the <SNIP> is not gonna be a good time, but it's more to let them know this house seems to be about to be burgled more than anything. They 'may' take sweeps past it to and from the chipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Aside from you having to pay for the locks being changed. I wouldn't be happy with having any post left in a communal postal area from here on out. Even if this is the first issue of something going missing, its now going to end up being expensive experience for you. Id get back onto the LL to provide something more substantial or get something you can put in place with your own lock and key.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is that a requirement of the letting standards, or just an opinion.

Is that a requirement of the letting standards, or just an opinion.

My opinion. I don’t think there’s Ny requirement for an adequate postal service in the minimum standards.

GBX wrote: »
    Aside from you having to pay for the locks being changed. I wouldn't be happy with having any post left in a communal postal area from here on out. Even if this is the first issue of something going missing, its now going to end up being expensive experience for you. Id get back onto the LL to provide something more substantial or get something you can put in place with your own lock and key.

The OP is in an apartment, neither they or their landlord can install a more substantial letter box, also every external letter box I've seen can easily be opened.

The only thing that the OP can do to keep their mail secure is to request to collect it from the depot, if that's even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP is in an apartment, neither they or their landlord can install a more substantial letter box, also every external letter box I've seen can easily be opened.

The only thing that the OP can do to keep their mail secure is to request to collect it from the depot, if that's even possible.

I've interpreted it that the OP lives in a house converted into flats which I assume is wholly owned by the landlord and their post box is more like cubby holes/slots near the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Browney7 wrote: »
    I've interpreted it that the OP lives in a house converted into flats which I assume is wholly owned by the landlord and their post box is more like cubby holes/slots near the front door.

And the OP should change their locks at their cost. They should also point out to the landlord that somebody with access to the building has now taken to going through the letters there and they need to put in a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

After the 3rd time of the lock on the mail boxes being broken I stopped replacing them. The tenants all pointed at each other for breaking them. They never lasted longer than a month.

OP you mishandled the keys and you pay for the locks and apologise to the landlord.

The landlord could put in metal letterbox,s ,with a label,for each tenant, with locks on them,
    and claim the cost as an expense in his tax return .

https://www.letterboxes.ie/-multi-occupancy-installation

the ones in this link seem ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The o/p left keys in an envelope in an accessible area. Someone probably felt the envelope and realised there was something metal in it and stole it. The real issue is the stupidity of leaving keys in a place like that. No communal postbox system is secure.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    The landlord could put in metal letterbox,s ,with a label,for each tenant, with locks on them,
    and claim the cost as an expense in his tax return .

https://www.letterboxes.ie/-multi-occupancy-installation

the ones in this link seem ideal

They are as secure as the current situation.

Advertisement