Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actress Melissa McCarthy Irish ancestors question

• 16-10-2019 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

The US TV show Finding Your Ancestors tonight featured actress Melissa McCarthy. Many were Irish, no surprise. The name was Carty and her immigrant ancestors were in Scotland for a generation or two. The name was changed (back?) to McCarthy in the US.

The show quickly showed a map of the Irish 'midlands' where many of her ancestors originated. They just as quickly mentioned just two surnames. One was Herrick. Then they went on to another subject.

Does anyone know any more details about MM's Irish ancestors? I can't find anything online. I have Herrick ancestors from Offaly and naturally I'm curious to see if there is a connection. It's not a common name in Ireland.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I didn't see the show but John Grenham's site says there were two Herrick and McCarthy households in Birr parish 1854. Others down Cork direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks, Spurious. I do know a lot about my Herricks in Eglish and Drumcullen parish and some about the other Irish Herricks. Just trying to figure out where Melissa McCarthy fits in and if she is one of 'mine'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Good breakdown of the info here: https://www.megansmolenyak.com/5-things-didnt-know-melissa-mccarthys-family-tree/

Looks like they are Longford Cartys. Mine are from James's Street. Happy to be related to Melissa, less so to her cousin Jenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I had seen that in my searching but thanks for the reply. No mention of her Herrick ancestors tho. The map that was so quickly shown on the tv show indicated a number of ancestral places/names in the Irish midlands.

Advertisement