Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

true. But he seemed to back up his predictions with alot of valuable insight. Instead of just a mention of stock .

The guns trade in America made me enough to take my wife out for a slap up dinner.

Rigolo is a huge loss to the group.

It's good to celebrate the successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

outonawing wrote: »
    Rigolo is a huge loss to the group.

It's good to celebrate the successes.

I suspect a case was built against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

geordi wrote: »
    Cloudflare ($NET) is my biggest position for 2021, followed by Docusign, Elastic, and Zendesk (simply as I used to work there, the product and management are great, and think it could easily attain Hubspot's market cap in under 5 years)

In general, I've been trying to closely mirror the portfolio of Software Stack Investing, who has published some really super analyses of developer focused companies. https://softwarestackinvesting.com/software-stock-recommendations/

Is $NET coming onto a buy zone yet? Down now about 13% in past week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Started a position in skillz (SKLZ) today.

An egaming company that went public via a SPAC on the 19th of Dec.

Skillz provides a platform to turn any mobile game on iOS and Android into a game you can play with friends or strangers for cash, prizes, or points.

Market Cap 7 billion

- 30 million players and 20k developers
    - 2.7 million monthly active users
    - 2 billion tournaments per year
    - Revenue grew 91% to $162.4 million during the nine month period of 2020
    - Gross profit grew 89% to $153.6 million during the nine month period of 2020
    - Gross margin was 95% during the nine month period of 2020 (Never seen such a high figure)
    - Spending a lot on sales and marketing but they have no long term debt
    - Average time spent by gamers on Skillz is twice the industry average at 62 mins per day
    - On the advisory board is Trip Hawkins the co founder of EA Sports
    - CEO is Andrew Paradise who founded AisleBuyer and sold it to Intuit for between 80 and $100m
    - 90% of their revenues come from North America but international market is four times larger

I'm not a massive gamer myself but I know from reading up and talking with others how big Egaming is becoming, this is probably a more risky investment than I would normally make but given the potential returns and the growth that is coming in egaming I think this is worth the risk.

Risks? They have very little competition at the moment and when covid ends will it effect the time spent by users on the platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Is $NET coming onto a buy zone yet? Down now about 13% in past week or so.

Cloudflare (and Crowdstrike) are massive winners of 2020 and it had nothing to do with Covid, Work from home or any of the other usual culprits. When you see things like the recent Russian hack, it's just a long line in the next war that's being fought. I have positions in both as I don't know which will work, and will be ading to both in 2021.

• Advertisement

I mentioned Chris Perruna's annual watchlist and it just got released today. He's an amateur stockpicker, who just seems to like the game, but knows how to spot trends and companies. His watchlist of 15 stocks are below, aligns very closely to my own portfolio and thinking, tech based growth stocks (stocks in bold are the ones I own)

His full analysis is worth 10 minutes of your time

1. Teledoc - TDOC
    2. Pinterest - PINS
    3. Crowdstrike - CRWD
    4. Fastly - FSLY
    5. Cloudflare - NET
    6. Digital Turbine - APPS
    7. Datadog - DDOG
    8. Unity - U
    9. Peloton - PTON
    10. Roku - ROKU
    11. Zoom Video - ZM
    12. Docusign - DOCU
    13. Salesforce - CRM
    14. Uber - UBER
    15. AirBnb - ABNB

Big caveat that you'll see in the blog is that he believes many of these are very extended currently, so he suggests these for your watchlist rather than immediate purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

I have been spending a bit of time going through the cheap stocks over the hols and I think I've made a decision to go ahead and buy Gilead (GILD). After hitting its 52 week low (actually it's a 7 year low) over the past week, it saw a rise of almost 3% on 31st December, has a nice 4.6ish % dividend pay out and a low enough P/E ratio of around 9.

Their sales have decreased since 2015 because the drug they sold for hep c was so effective it basically wiped out a lot of their market. I'm hoping 2021 will be different due to new treatments they have recently developed/acquired for Covid, cancer, and hep d. At the moment I'm looking at buying and holding for a minimum 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Enjoyed this video from Joseph Carlson, calling out clickbaiters on youtube and discussing dealing with worries for 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s22UXbt298o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone else looking at airlines , cruise companies or resorts.
    I only started investing in the last few months. But as m doing pretty good with these. Looking at the charts yet still have a good way to go before they recover to pre Covid.

I reckon they’ll slowly build up as the world gets vaccinated

I’ve invested in American Airlines , Wynn, carnival and MGM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ted1 wrote: »
    I only started investing in the last few months. But as m doing pretty good with these. Looking at the charts yet still have a good way to go before they recover to pre Covid.

your braver than i am

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

ted1 wrote: »

Thoughts on IAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

commited wrote: »
    Thoughts on IAG?

I think like all airlines stocks there is a high risk / reward here. I think AAL and IAG will at least double their current positions, but it may not be for another year or 2.

One I’ll throw out is SNOW. I’d wait until after the March unlock though. So you can probably get in at around 150 a share. I could see it back to 300+ by years end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thoughts on IAG?

I think they will recover in 12-18 months.
    Only reason I didn’t invest is I started on Revolut and they weren’t available as London market isn’t supported.

Just getting set up on the other apps eToro/DEGIRO and Plus500 so will look later I jan when I’m ready to invest more

Air France is another one. I’ve friends who got into it in October at 2.81. Currently at 5.12. They plan to exit at 9.5 but may hold to 10. If it doesn’t reach that they’ll rethink on 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Thoughts on IAG?

Bought IAG when it dropped on 21st December, at an average of 133.7p.

Could go there again, with Covid spreading throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

outonawing wrote: »
    Bought IAG when it dropped on 21st December, at an average of 133.7p.

Could go there again, with Covid spreading throughout Europe.

This sounds terrible and of course I dont want it to happen but a faster spread in many ways could be a good thing for the likes of IAG. It will probably result a mini sell off whilst at the same time European governments are going to scramble to increase production and fast track the vaccines even quicker if possible (for example moderna are opening a production facility in Switzerland in partnership with lonza within days). Also as the number of deaths inevitably increase people are more likely to take up the vaccine.
    Also worth bearing in mind we are in January which is generally the worst time for the health service on any given year. Is this a seasonal virus? Its too early to tell I guess but it didn't seem as bad during the summer again maybe that combined with the vaccines might result in a completely different outlook by April?

On the other side of the argument France has only inoculated 516 people in their first 8 days of vaccine rollout, that certainly doesn't give me much confidence in the vaccine rollout

I already own IAG at €1.01. Based on the above if their is a significant pullback i will pull the trigger again, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there is another dilution though at some point this year.

From Luke O'Neill:
    The EMA is looking at 47 vaccines right now.

His estimated dates for approval:
    1. Pfizer (Already approved)
    2. Moderna (First week in Jan)
    3. Astrazenica (January) i think this might be later not though
    4. Johnson and Johnson (March...single shot)
    5. Novavax (April)
    6. Curevax and Sanofi (May)
    7. Arcturus (June)
    8. Merk (September)

Thats my 2 cents anyway. Stay safe everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I missed the boat with Palantir when everyone was talking about it here back in Nov, but I'm liking its chart right at the minute and how bullish everyone appears on stocktwits so looking at an entry this week in around 23$, what does everyone else think of it, have yous been holding it long term or did yas just swingtrail the ipo hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Thinking of making my first investment of 2021 in Longview Acquisitions Corporation (LGVW). My understanding is that it's merging with Medical Imaging Provider Butterfly Network (its ticker will become "BFLY") and has been invested in by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with the aim of selling medical imaging at affordable prices.

Any opinions?
    Timmaay wrote: »
    I missed the boat with Palantir when everyone was talking about it here back in Nov, but I'm liking its chart right at the minute and how bullish everyone appears on stocktwits so looking at an entry this week in around 23$, what does everyone else think of it, have yous been holding it long term or did yas just swingtrail the ipo hype?

I bought some shares @ $14 I think, just planning on holding it for years, might DCA it a bit, hold out for some stock splits, and see what happens. I think in a year or two people will be looking back and asking why they didn't bother buying it at around $10 - $30 when they had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Timmaay wrote: »

I reckon It will take time but will be a massive company, they don't have many clients so whenever they get a new big client the share price goes up a few %. I bought at 9.80 and sold half on its bull run but will keep the rest, will take a few years but lots more to be made with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

Thinking of making my first investment of 2021 in Longview Acquisitions Corporation (LGVW). My understanding is that it's merging with Medical Imaging Provider Butterfly Network (its ticker will become "BFLY") and has been invested in by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with the aim of selling medical imaging at affordable prices.

Any opinions?

I have it on my high risk high reward list also - could be a big winner lets see, haven't bought it yet.
    news this week - senate vote + jack ma is gone missing :eek: might get some discounts

There's a lad on Twitter I follow that's doing a free stock picking contest. Pick 3 stocks to grow the most, you can change every quarter
    https://www.fintwitstockcontest.com/

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There's a lad on Twitter I follow that's doing a free stock picking contest. Pick 3 stocks to grow the most, you can change every quarter
    https://www.fintwitstockcontest.com/

We could create our own if theres enough interest
    I could put a google sheet together and make it public
    everyone could add your boards username and your picks on it let it calculate the rest. Ill pull in some live feed of the share price from google.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MurDawg

How are we expecting the US market to open today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

MurDawg wrote: »

I'm hoping the optimistic feel of this year will feed into the markets. Biden's inauguration in a few weeks, coupled with the vaccine rollout, and UK's market popping this morning. I'm going to pick up some Air Bnb, Broadcom, and Gilead Sciences stock as soon as the markets open.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

MurDawg wrote: »

futures are up and TSLA is up pre-market, should be a green day

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I didn't go for QS myself either. To be honest, this lat Chris Perruna has such a following at the moment that it seems he can move stocks on his own. He doesn't even own Fubo himself yet. While up 70% or whatever in a week is great, part of me is a little disappointed as I wanted to buy more at $30. First world problems.

I've a feeling CURI may follow a simialr trajectory. It's a streaming dervice for documentaries, Discovery Channel, History Channel etc. Got a 25% jump today but is still only a $13 stock ($500mn cap). Seems to be the next darling of Twitter and Reddit
    Anyone jump on this one? Up 27% in pre market. Can't see any news so may by the latest Reddit darling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

RIGOLO wrote: »
    So I ran OCGN by my bio pharma adviser , the wifey, shes not just good for telling me how the queues at COSTCO are .
    Anyways I still like the sound of OCGN, their tie up with BHARAT Pharma and a traditional vaccine approach using inactivated virus to train the immune system to fight off Covid.
    Ive never been sold on this mRNA technology, still relatively unproven. To some degree Covid vaccines based on mRNA is just a giant experiment to validate the underlying technology, its got little todo with beating Covid, this was a golden chance for companies developing mRNA tech to trial this on a mass scale.

So the missus was reading some recent papers from MIT on mRNA, specifically the Young lab . It was a lab across the hall from the lab she worked in in MIT so shes well familiar with the providence.
    In laymans terms theres still lots to learn on RNA transcription, still some debate on how mRNA vaccines stop this process , questions about the need to add this extra step to introduce the protein , how did 20 years of tailoring mRNA medicine suddenly make the breakthru in 6 months and also the fact like any process in a factory this synthesis in the body does not always do what it is suppossed to do.

BTW neither of us are anti-vaxs, herself tracked the kids vaccines religiously and scoffs at anti-vaxers but given a Nobel prize winner at MIT once asked her to teach his students her stuff, Im okay with OCGN as a punt that the winner on COVID vaccines may still be a late runner using traditional approach that doesnt breakthru until mid to late 2021 . Patients and Patience are in play on this one.

RIGOLO may be banned but he will be adding to his legendary status with Mrs RIGOLO's pick OCGN up around 150% pre-market

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    RIGOLO may be banned but he will be adding to his legendary status with Mrs RIGOLO's pick OCGN up around 150% pre-market

...that might be one for the stock picking competion then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone have a notion of whats happening with AIB on the London. It's gone to 147.... Is there a major error or somewhere brexit related

hottipper wrote: »
    We could create our own if theres enough interest
    I could put a google sheet together and make it public
    everyone could add your boards username and your picks on it let it calculate the rest. Ill pull in some live feed of the share price from google.

Heres the link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBukJ1VwJBwVk-_S_gM3xU0cy35a8awExnA2g29XPWw/edit?usp=sharing

Just need to fill out Columns A,B,C and D the rest will be calculated from a feed
    We can use the closing price on friday as the starting point and let it run to the end of march. Ill lock it after close on friday so nobody can change it.

RIGOLO is free to join if he's watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    RIGOLO may be banned but he will be adding to his legendary status with Mrs RIGOLO's pick OCGN up around 150% pre-market[/quote
    Is there anyway we can plead with moderator to get him back here.

Advertisement