Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Merrymac wrote: »
    Hi Could someone please clarify if existing CO's applying for the 2020 Interdepartmental Comp Promotion to EO Civil Service need to have 2 years service completed at application date

By the 6th August. its on pg. 2 of the Information Booklet.
    Candidates must, on or before 6th August 2020:

or

(vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years’ service and have obtained at least five
    subjects in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish
    or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4
    grade) at Higher level, the others should be at a minimum Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving
    Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level; or have passed an examination(s) which would be
    acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard to
    the Established Leaving Certificate.
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

tgdaly wrote: »
    I had Kildare first and Offaly 2nd. Ended up getting Kildare

Thank you! I usually end up with a high enough oom in these competitions. So my current strategy of picking local counties hasn’t worked. Therefore I’m looking at counties with higher recruitment.. I don’t know if this will work. But it’s worth a try..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Biggest single tip I can think of is it is expected for you to refer very complicated / sensitive things to your manager at this grade. Keep in mind during the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keanocar

chillmad wrote: »
    Be aware that if you are currently on an EO salary, that you may go back to the start of the scale by applying again through an Open competition.
    Are you eligible for mobility?

No, I only started recently so not eligible for mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Damn

Am I correct in sating you need to have worked in the civil service for at least 2 years to be eligible to apply???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

Great to see these roles for competition just after the covid mess..best of luck to those applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

Biggest single tip I can think of is it is expected for you to refer very complicated / sensitive things to your manager at this grade. Keep in mind during the tests.

Not trying to smart but at what grade would you not be expected to refer these to Management:pac:

There no interdepartmental circular yet regarding promotion rules etc, Only open panel booklet yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

doc22 wrote: »
    Cork and Limerick at a guess

Kildare as well I’d say.

Big hub of CS jobs also around the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Damn

Am I correct in sating you need to have worked in the civil service for at least 2 years to be eligible to apply???

No, not for the open stream.

'To be eligible for the Interdepartmental stream you need to be a currently working as a civil servant for two years by the closing date for application. To be eligible for the open stream you must have certain qualifications which are detailed in the information booklet.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Gillouise wrote: »
    Taken from application form:

Have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or post
    2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary Level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum or Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least FIVE
    subjects at Higher level: or hold a qualification in the opinion of the Public Appointment Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of at least an equivalent or higher standard

Like Mike said it's worth it to email them

Well Level 6 is considered a higher level than the Leaving Cert (known as a Higher Certificate I think), so I wonder if they are eligible, never mind the Level 7s.

doc22 wrote: »
    Not trying to smart but at what grade would you not be expected to refer these to Management:pac:

AP or PO. At a senior level would be expected to have a high degree of autonomy. The point I'm making is it's very easy to do poorly in an EO application by not knowing when to ask for help and selecting the option of trying to fix it yourself in the assessments.

AP or PO. At a senior level would be expected to have a high degree of autonomy. The point I'm making is it's very easy to do poorly in an EO application by not knowing when to ask for help and selecting the option of trying to fix it yourself in the assessments.

It's all very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Does anyone know if i completed 2 years of a level 8 a few years back, can I apply on this, even though I never finished the level 8? Have 4 honours in leaving so don't meet required 5. And never did any other course. Don't want to apply if not meeting requirements.

(iii) have completed and passed all examinations in Year 1 of a three or four-year programme
    leading to a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;

From the information booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Doing the First PDF Forum, what is candidate id

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If you open the online form(part 2) it should have your ID in that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I would've thought I had this down and ended up doing terribly in the first assessment so I 100% agree with this.

I passed by the skin of my teeth and now an EO but DO NOT underestimate the first assessment. Take your time in a quiet environment and think everything through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's your unique ID number for the login you create on public jobs. When you log in you'll see it.

AngryLips wrote: »
    It's your unique ID number for the login you create on public jobs. When you log in you'll see it.

Thanks

Just one more query - reason for leaving job? im a clerical officer at moment, would career progression be a reasonable answer - not exactly looking to leave it

Thanks

Just one more query - reason for leaving job? im a clerical officer at moment, would career progression be a reasonable answer - not exactly looking to leave it

Very much so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Kamu wrote: »
    (iii) have completed and passed all examinations in Year 1 of a three or four-year programme
    leading to a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;

From the information booklet.

It's odd that they don't reference Level 6. A person who has successfully completed Level 6 would be ahead of anyone who has completed the first year of a Level 7 course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Thanks

Well I put n/a for my current job. But in retrospect maybe I should have given a reason even though I technically haven't left yet haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's my experience for research, industry and state jobs with a PhD with multi-stage interviews and tests is that for any Civil Service position everything before the interview is easy enough and then the interview itself is absurdly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

Gizle wrote: »
    On the PDF form it doesn't seem to have a section B??? I can see two section A. Anyone else having this problem? Also would the Level 6 and 2 years as Clerical Officer role be deemed enough to apply??

My form doesn't have Section B either. Section A is employment record and Section C is Supplementary Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

TheJet wrote: »
    My form doesn't have Section B either. Section A is employment record and Section C is Supplementary Information.

Mine was the same, I clicked submit because I didn’t know what else to do.

Do they ask for proof of leaving cert/other qualifications at the interview, does anyone know?

TheJet wrote: »

All i did was the one with your educational and employment background and the online application form with your name/address etc...it was an ordeal to upload it

SusieBlue wrote: »

Do they ask for proof of leaving cert/other qualifications at the interview, does anyone know?

when i did the c/o i had all results of leaving cert and every college year i did...didnt even come up

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

SusieBlue wrote: »

I think section 2 was online form thing, well thats what i thought anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's odd that they don't reference Level 6. A person who has successfully completed Level 6 would be ahead of anyone who has completed the first year of a Level 7 course.

I think perhaps the (iv) section covers that, considering a level 6 would be above Leaving Cert on the NFQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Would the likes of a fire marshal course or a Safe Pass count as an academic/professional/technical qualification on the form?

Advertisement