Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Does anyone know how someone would be getting the PUP when they are self employed but did not live or work in Ireland in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

stinkbomb wrote: »
    Does anyone know how someone would be getting the PUP when they are self employed but did not live or work in Ireland in 2018?

If you didn't live or work in Ireland in 2018 but you do now – that's a bit of a grey area I would think.

As long as you are living in Ireland now, you are eligible to claim the PUP provided you lost work here due to Covid, but if you weren't living here in 2018, at the very least I'd say it would mean your rate would be cut to the €203 as revenue would have no tax records to work off for that year?

I could be wrong, but that's my thinking on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭64869923

I was on to PUP-Rerate this morning about when it would be sorted, I sent my supporting information on Thursday the 9th. She said they have a massive backlog and didn't know when they would get through it.

64869923 wrote: »
    I was on to PUP-Rerate this morning about when it would be sorted, I sent my supporting information on Thursday the 9th. She said they have a massive backlog and didn't know when they would get through it.

I sent mine on July 6th.

They say similar every time I ring too...

I sent mine on July 6th.

They say similar every time I ring too...

The worst part is that my 2018 income is above the threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HereinBray

I sent mine on the 7th also.

Have emailed a couple of times (including today) and have received one auto response. (None today though)

Being the cynic that I am - I'm wondering if they are using all their resources on people signing off the payment rather than trying to access it. I just wish I could be sure that I will get it or should I apply for Jobseekers.

Rant over!

HIB

HereinBray wrote: »

Have emailed a couple of times (including today) and have received one auto response. (None today though)

Being the cynic that I am - I'm wondering if they are using all their resources on people signing off the payment rather than trying to access it. I just wish I could be sure that I will get it or should I apply for Jobseekers.

Rant over!

HIB

Rant away, it’s an extremely stressful situation!

I imagine they’ll mention the PUP when they announce the July Stimulus package due this week.

Many are wondering if they’ll need to apply for JSA by or before August 10th so the government will need to address it.

HIB

I'm surprised you received an automated response, anytime I've emailed them...nothing.

Being the cynic that I am - I'm wondering if they are using all their resources on people signing off the payment rather than trying to access it.

HIB

I would say this is it.

Rant away, it’s an extremely stressful situation!

I imagine they’ll mention the PUP when they announce the July Stimulus package due this week.

Many are wondering if they’ll need to apply for JSA by or before August 10th so the government will need to address it.

Unofficially it's being extended into the spring. I saw it in a better source during the week but this is the fastest I could find without digging.

https://extra.ie/2020/07/19/news/irish-news/government-cut-extended-pandemic-uenemployment-payment

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

64869923 wrote: »
    Unofficially it's being extended into the spring. I saw it in a better source during the week but this is the fastest I could find without digging.

https://extra.ie/2020/07/19/news/irish-news/government-cut-extended-pandemic-uenemployment-payment

It was in the Sunday Times-I can't link to the article as it has a paywall
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-payments-to-continue-until-next-year-in-3bn-july-stimulus-1011706.html

• Advertisement

I sent my appeal in the same day I re lived the MyWelfare message notification on 2nd July- the appeal had to be sent a PO Box address, which I duly did by registered post.
    I thought it would be dealt with quickly with my appeal being prompt but I have not had a reply yet.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It really looks like those declined on appeal have been contacted so it makes me believe (and I could be wrong) that successful appeals are being worked on, namely how do they fix it. I hope this is the case for those still waiting

I like your optimism Dempo1!

I sent a copy of my 2018 Revenue Notice of Assessment in showing my >€10400 income but the DEASP has assessed the income after capital allowances were deducted, which was marginally less than €10400.
    I argued the capital allowances are depreciation related, which applies whether the business is generating an income or not.

ATC110 wrote: »

Interestingly, it doesn't say what happens to those already on the lower-rate – ie, most of the self-employed thanks to the rate mess!

Hope we don't lose out again!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interestingly, it doesn't say what happens to those already on the lower-rate – ie, most of the self-employed thanks to the rate mess!

One report saying a reduction to €300 in September, it looks like a gradual reduction to €203 pw by April next. Hope the self employed reduction debacle sorted soon. Full announcements later apparently. I did see grants/loans etc will include self employed

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The corollary of this seems to be a flat rate of €203 for everyone, which isn't unfair I think.
    I still want to get any back payment of the €350 rate in the meantime though!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0723/1155101-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

Iingrid Miley from RTE normally a good source, just breaking

Added complications, 3 rates to be paid from September

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0723/1155101-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

Iingrid Miley from RTE normally a good source, just breaking

Added complications, 3 rates to be paid from September

That seems fair enough

That seems fair enough

Agreed

I'd prefer if there had've been a blanket reduction to €203 per week in July - it's a generous payment in its own right and much higher than any benefits in the UK.

My issue is being put on a reduced rate despite meeting the income threshold while others remain on the higher rate.

I'd prefer if there had've been a blanket reduction to €203 per week in July - it's a generous payment in its own right and much higher than any benefits in the UK.

My issue is being put on a reduced rate despite meeting the income threshold while others remain on the higher rate.

That's were I might disagree, to compare UK benefits with Irelands is like apples and Oranges, the UK system offers far more generous universal credit benefits, housing etc.

€203 is I accept the normal SW rate but let's not forget many are on PUP through no fault of their own, both self employed and directly employed. Many if not all have seen a serious drop in income and I suspect job opportunities are extremely limited and will be for months. Self employment also is extremely challenging as I know companies, individuals etc are very nervous at spending any money outside existing budgets. My own Job is struggling, particularly the business side with companies at a standstill re spending

• Advertisement

I disagree RE blanket reductions as €203 a week if you've a mortgage and kids is nothing!

UK also offer much more seperate benefits than here so to compare is fruitless – both countries are so different!

They don't say if those on the reduced rate now will stay on this until April?

I take issue with the same as I feel I should be on the higher rate but I'm always grateful to get something at the same time. It's just being self-employed in media means there is little out there work-wise at the moment so the higher rate I could really use for even a few weeks.

I disagree RE blanket reductions as €203 a week if you've a mortgage and kids is nothing!

UK also offer much more seperate benefits than here so to compare is fruitless – both countries are so different!

They don't say if those on the reduced rate now will stay on this until April?

I take issue with the same as I feel I should be on the higher rate but I'm always grateful to get something at the same time. It's just being self-employed in media means there is little out there work-wise at the moment so the higher rate I could really use for even a few weeks.

Completely agree with your disagree, pointless to compare UK with Ireland. I would hope those appealing the reduced rate will see an outcome soon. I assume no news yet? Might be good if you get my meaning. At least its positive the payments will continue

Completely agree with your disagree, pointless to compare UK with Ireland. I would hope those appealing the reduced rate will see an outcome soon. I assume no news yet? Might be good if you get my meaning. At least its positive the payments will continue

No news yet so that could be good but if I don't hear back before the new rate changes kick in I think I might never hear back as God knows what'll happen then!

No news yet so that could be good but if I don't hear back before the new rate changes kick in I think I might never hear back as God knows what'll happen then!

I wouldn't worry too much, once appeal has been lodged they can't avoid it, obv keep all paperwork, correspondence etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pickneary

Can someone explain to me what they mean The top rate of €350 down to €300 will apply to those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , does that mean Gross or Net pay ?

If a person has 14,000 net pay do they come from 350 to 300?

pickneary wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what they mean by those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , does that mean Gross or Net pay ?

To be honest I'm unsure, I'm guessing net but there should be more clarification on this in the coming days, I say net as the PUP is a net payment if I'm making sense

That's were I might disagree, to compare UK benefits with Irelands is like apples and Oranges, the UK system offers far more generous universal credit benefits, housing etc.

Not at all - Universal Credit is incomparable to PUP as it's strictly means tested and is not payable if you have savings of over £16000. Apropos housing in ROI, one of the reasons rents are so high is due to the HAP scheme where the welfare-dependant tenant only makes a small contribution.
    €203 is I accept the normal SW rate but let's not forget many are on PUP through no fault of their own, both self employed and directly employed. Many if not all have seen a serious drop in income and I suspect job opportunities are extremely limited and will be for months. Self employment also is extremely challenging as I know companies, individuals etc are very nervous at spending any money outside existing budgets. My own Job is struggling, particularly the business side with companies at a standstill re spending

I agree but my point is having only some recipients on a much lower rate than they should be has created a huge inequity.

To be honest I'm unsure, I'm guessing net but there should be more clarification on this in the coming days, I say net as the PUP is a net payment if I'm making sense

PUP is received as a gross payment with any tax liability deferred until such time as a tax return is submitted then it will be treated the same as any other income; it's not a tax-exempt payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

PUP is received as a gross payment with any tax liability deferred until such time as a tax return is submitted then it will be treated the same as any other income; it's not a tax-exempt payment.

So The top rate of €350 down to €300 will apply to those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , is Gross Pay ?

If it's not it would mean Ur net would need to be over € 15,000 ?

• Advertisement

torrevieja wrote: »
    So The top rate of €350 down to €300 will apply to those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , is Gross Pay ?

If it's not it would mean Ur net would need to be over € 15,000 ?

I meant for taxation purposes

Advertisement