Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Executive Officer Campaign 2019 Mod warning #1682

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Surely you can apply for the open though?

He can and is

Hes talking about the internal as per his original post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109169114&postcount=54

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Eligible for internal and inter departmental.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Did anyone have problems getting access to the application form? My wife is currently trying to download it using Adobe Reader, but it's just stalling...?

Did anyone have problems getting access to the application form? My wife is currently trying to download it using Adobe Reader, but it's just stalling...?

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Anyone

I had to download abobe Acrobat reader DC to access the file

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Surely you can apply for the open though?

I did but having 2 avenues would have been nice.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I had to download abobe Acrobat reader DC to access the file

Did that. Eventually found the application in the Downloads folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Did that. Eventually found the application in the Downloads folder.

Usual problems with public jobs, try redownloading Adobe reader or using a different browser. E.g. forefox/chrome/internet explorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blackplug

How do people generally choose their locations in these campaigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

Blackplug wrote: »
    How do people generally choose their locations in these campaigns?

I would assume people choose the county they live in and a neighbouring county.

Of course, if you have no ties and/or are willing to relocate, you could research which county hired the most people in previous campaigns and pick that one! No guarantee that things will play out the same with this campaign though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mrsec

Does the application form need have a hand written signature or just typed?
    Also if only applying for interdepartmental do you still need to do all the aptitude tests or is it just the interview? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Mrsec wrote: »
    Does the application form need have a hand written signature or just typed?
    Also if only applying for interdepartmental do you still need to do all the aptitude tests or is it just the interview? Thanks.

Just typed is fine.

And interdepartmental will still be all the same aptitude tests to pass before you can get to interview stage

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

I had a problem accessing it using Google Chrome. It opened with no issues when I used Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gambon

I have been serving as a CO for the past three months (yes 3 months) !! Am I wasting my time applying for this or would there be an advantage having some experience in the civil service?

All help and answers accepted.

Gambon wrote: »
    I have been serving as a CO for the past three months (yes 3 months) !! Am I wasting my time applying for this or would there be an advantage having some experience in the civil service?

Not wasting your time at all. its an open competition so anyone can apply as long as they meet the qualifications/experience terms as met out at the start of the application

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

What's the exam like for this? Any links to examples? -- Pass the math section and ace the language section?

There is an initial set of questions you do online remotely. Based on your results from this you will be give an order of merit. From here you will be called to do tests in the Civil Service Commission. These include verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and an etray exercise. These test take approximately three hours.

I did mine yesterday for the Dublin campaign.

Breezer25 wrote: »
    There is an initial set of questions you do online remotely. Based on your results from this you will be give an order of merit. From here you will be called to do tests in the Civil Service Commission. These include verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and an etray exercise. These test take approximately three hours.

I did mine yesterday for the Dublin campaign.

What's an etray exercise?

It is a bit like an outlook/email environment. You will receive emails with tasks to do. The tasks will have to be completed within a certain time frame. The whole exercise is set over a time frame of 1 hour 20 minutes.

In addition to the tasks given to you, you will also have to answer ad hoc query emails that come in and live feed messages (I think these are meant to be similar to receiving a telephone query).

It's not too bad, you will receive a sample exercise a week or two before the actual exams. Just practice this as it will familiarise you with how the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateron

It is a bit like an outlook/email environment. You will receive emails with tasks to do. The tasks will have to be completed within a certain time frame. The whole exercise is set over a time frame of 1 hour 20 minutes.

In addition to the tasks given to you, you will also have to answer ad hoc query emails that come in and live feed messages (I think these are meant to be similar to receiving a telephone query).

It's not too bad, you will receive a sample exercise a week or two before the actual exams. Just practice this as it will familiarise you with how the system works.

Is there a conference to timetable in the Etray?
    Best of luck with your results.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    What's an etray exercise?
    lateron wrote: »
    Is there a conference to timetable in the Etray?
    Best of luck with your results.

Yes that is one of the tasks. I think there were 13 different appointment slots to timetable with rules around when certain ones could be done. i.e a could not happen until after d's slot and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Gambon wrote: »

I'm only a 3 weeks into my CO role and I'm giving it a crack. My managers are helping me with the form and being very encouraging about time off for tests etc.

So no, you're not wasting your time. At the very least it is some free practice to see where you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joinme

DPER is just the authority over it, it seems to be the new nationwide competition (except Dublin).

where does it say 'except Dublin' ?

joinme wrote: »
    where does it say 'except Dublin' ?

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=101376

Very first page of the application, under "Location"

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateron

Yes that is one of the tasks. I think there were 13 different appointment slots to timetable with rules around when certain ones could be done. i.e a could not happen until after d's slot and so on.

Thank you so much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joinme

lateron wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that.

see it now! thanks

I must have missed the Dublin campaign. take it this won't happen again for a long time?

see it now! thanks

I must have missed the Dublin campaign. take it this won't happen again for a long time?

The Dublin campaign was in August 2018. The one prior to that was 2016 so it looks like there is a two year gap between campaigns.

see it now! thanks

If you live outside of dublin city centre you could always apply for meath, kildare or wicklow or anywhere else that suited, if they suit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Hi folks. Filling out my compentencies at present for internal EO.
    My God, they're tricky!
    Finding it particularly hard to come up with something for people management.
    All my work experience has been office based. That includes plenty of tasks fit for a manager, however, I have never been responsible for the management of people, if that makes sense.
    And obviously, as a CO, managing or telling your fellow COs what to do is fairly frowned upon also.
    Any advice?

Advertisement